Embargo of Town Hall Bank Account

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
alicia
Andalucia.com Amigo

Embargo of Town Hall Bank Account

Postby alicia » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:14 am

Hi

Just a thought. I know it is possible for Companies, Town Halls etc to place embargos/freeze bank accounts of people who owe money to them but, theoretically speaking, can an individual who is owed money from a Company perhaps say like Endesa or Orange or suchlike, or is due a refund from the local Town Hall, place an embargo or freeze the bank account of these large offical entities.

I wonder if there is anyone who knows if this has been done? Would be interesting to know.

luckyjim
Resident

Re: Embargo of Town Hall Bank Account

Postby luckyjim » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:46 am

I wouldn't rate your chances, particularly as a non Spanish.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:28 am

I guess its one rule the the big guys and one rule for the rest.

luckyjim
Resident

Postby luckyjim » Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:45 pm

Perhaps it would be worth making enquiries to the Spanish equivalent of the Citizens Advice Bureau. Any thing is worth a try.

anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Postby anyroads » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:59 pm

Not sure if companies can do so, surely only government bodies ?.

However if individuals at random could do as you suggest, just think of all the trouble it would cause for 1000s of other punters out there.

I am sure you are familiar with the expression....

No way Jose !

anyroads

alicia
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby alicia » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:14 am

Yes, you probably right Anyroads. Possibly not a great idea as hundreds if not thousands of ordinary people freezing accounts of Big Organisations would perhaps cause a little chaos.

Interesting though.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:28 pm

I was talking about this a couple of days ago and it appear that, although, quite rightly for the reasons given, you can't freeze the account of one of the big companies, you can ask your bank to grab back monies that you think have been taken incorrectly.

Spartacus
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Spartacus » Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:39 pm

Its called a "charge back request", I have had to use it a couple of times when utility companies "inadvertently" continue to take payments after their contract has been terminated. (quite common) The money is put straight back in your account and the other party is notified and given 90 days to evidence their entitlement to have taken the funds. Should they subsequently do so they are then re-credited. This rarely happens of course as you only made the charge back request because they had no right in the first place. The process above is for UK banks but suspect a similar system for Spain.

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:24 pm

markwilding wrote:I was talking about this a couple of days ago and it appear that, although, quite rightly for the reasons given, you can't freeze the account of one of the big companies, you can ask your bank to grab back monies that you think have been taken incorrectly.
I used this facility once when I had given notice to my home insurance company that I would not be renewing the policy (changing to another company) but they still took the renewal premium from my bank account. I just went to the bank, gave them a copy of the cancellation letter I'd sent, and the money was back in my account within a few days. There is a time limit, I think 10 working days after the amount has been debited incorrectly, in order to be able to do this.