Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
sioban
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby sioban » Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:33 pm

why doesnt anyone put in their location, it is interesting to see who lives Baza or surrounding areas!

Sioban

pwwm
Resident

Postby pwwm » Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:56 pm

If you look in the members list I think you will find most people have put where they are from.
Today a cold and very wet Albunol.
pwwm

spanish hopes

Postby spanish hopes » Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:05 pm

I don't think it is either necessary or important to have ones location on the site.
I for one don't check a persons locality and we have had cases in the past of people who say they are resident in Spain, talk down those who aren't and the truth is that they actually live in Finland.

Sad K

Postby Sad K » Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:03 pm

spanish hopes wrote:I don't think it is either necessary or important to have ones location on the site.
I for one don't check a persons locality and we have had cases in the past of people who say they are resident in Spain, talk down those who aren't and the truth is that they actually live in Finland.
I was just wondering, how can you tell that someone lives in Finland, if they say they live in say, Madrid, can you tell their actual location through a computer?
Can you for example tell where I'm making this post from, I may tell you that I'm, for example making this post from Birmingham, but I'm actually in Bombay, please explain!

spanish hopes

Postby spanish hopes » Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:20 pm

I have no idea where you are from but the example I gave was one which I did know of the persons location. Not too hard to work out really but happy to reply.

Marina
Resident

Postby Marina » Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:00 pm

Like Sioban, I am interested to see where people are from. It's not important at all, but just out of sheer nosiness, it's nice to know.
Being even nosier, I would love to know how people choose their usernames. Some look pretty clear, but others are quite intriguing!
The first time I ever used a forum, I chose what I thought was an appropriate name "Bellywobble" (it was a slimming forum), only to discover that everyone else was using what appeared to be their own names!

Alan-LaCala
Resident

Postby Alan-LaCala » Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:11 am

I chose what I thought was an appropriate name
And what made you choose a yachting name for this Forum? :wink: :wink: :wink:

Alan
Remember that everything that Fred Astaire did, Ginger Rogers did too; except she did it backwards and wearing high heels!

keddyboy
Resident

Postby keddyboy » Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:54 am

Right, user name made up of christian name initials KED, mother used to call me keddy. Married for 36 years, 4 children, 6 grandchildren. Born in North Wales, educated ditto. Moved to London and lived mostly in Sussex just south of Gatwick. Lived in Spain, Alhaurin el Grande, Costa del Sol permanently for 4 years and spelling is atrocious. Fully retired and spending the kids inheritence!!!!
Keddyboy
Never do today what you can leave until tomorrow.

Sad K

Postby Sad K » Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:49 pm

spanish hopes wrote:I have no idea where you are from but the example I gave was one which I did know of the persons location. Not too hard to work out really but happy to reply.
Thanks for the explanation, I'm paranoid about my privacy at the best of times, but to think that someone could actually locate you through a computer is scary :o

Sad K

Postby Sad K » Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:59 pm

My username won't give anyone a brain haemorrage, first three letters of my forename and the initial letter of my surname.

My wife seems to think that because I'm what you might describe as "urbane and unexciting" I'm therefore depressive, so I came up with "Sad K", perhaps I am urbane and unexciting, and depressive, but I do live in Leeds!.

Big Col

PLACES

Postby Big Col » Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:45 pm

HI I THINK ITS A GOOD IDEA TO PUT WHERE YOU LIVE IN YOUR PROFILE.
WHEN A POST, METIONS SHOPS,PLACES OR PROBLEMS WITH SERVICES, TRADESMAN ETC, YOU CAN SEE IF THE POST MAY RELATE TO YOUR LOCAL AREA.

AND RE NAMES IM NOT TELLING!!!! :lol:

Lion
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: PLACES

Postby Lion » Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:52 pm

Big Col wrote:HI I THINK ITS A GOOD IDEA TO PUT WHERE YOU LIVE IN YOUR PROFILE.
WHEN A POST, METIONS SHOPS,PLACES OR PROBLEMS WITH SERVICES, TRADESMAN ETC, YOU CAN SEE IF THE POST MAY RELATE TO YOUR LOCAL AREA.

AND RE NAMES IM NOT TELLING!!!! :lol:
It's also a good idea to try not to shout in your posts unless you can help it :wink:

Big Col

PLACES

Postby Big Col » Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:58 pm

OUR FAMILY KNOWS THAT SIOBAN LIVES NEAR BAZA, AS WE DO.!

ANY POSITIVE FEEDBACK RE SERVICES,QUESTIONS RE LOCAL PROBLEMS THAT SIOBAN MAY EXPERIENCE,EVENTS ETC...
MAY HELP OTHER MEMBERS WITHIN THE FORUM
LOCAL TO THE AREA.

Big Col

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:42 pm

The old Andalucia.com message board used to show the ISP and local server of the poster which gave a good idea of their location.

It obviously does not show on this one but I think admin can still access these details.

Shukran
Resident

Postby Shukran » Sun Jan 15, 2006 1:47 pm

I always look at the locations of contributors as some of the questions/ queries may not apply to the area I'm temporarily living in. I think it's a good idea for locations to be shown automatically.

As for my user name - it's Arabic for 'thank you'. My daughter has lived in Bahrain for over 20 years and it feels like my second home, but if anybody really wants to know my 'real' name - it's Lynne.
Since I gave up hope I feel much better!

anewlife
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby anewlife » Sun Jan 15, 2006 11:07 pm

It is interesting to see where people live (really!) in Spain as you can help each other out. I live in Galera, about 25 mins drive from Baza. We go shopping there every other week, go in the Pink Orchid (you must know it Sioban!) and shop at Caprabo and Lidl. My name was chosen because it is a new life for us and we are doing very well here, considering a lot of people seem to be struggling. It does help speaking the lingo and because we live in a small village, English residents tend to come to us for advice on things where Spanish is needed. Wouldn't swap it for the world and we have only been here since April last year! Son doing well in school and keeps correcting my pronunciation of words, but hey, I am trying! Our son hated it here when we came, but went on a 3 day 'farm' trip and said he would never go back to England, so some progress made there!

Anyway, enough of that, wouldn't go back to live in YUK, but have 2 houses rented there anyway so not burnt our bridges, but selling one to buy our cave here as we are so happy.

sioban
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby sioban » Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:29 pm

Thanks to everyone who has replied, I now know i am not the only one living in Baza who uses this site!!

Regards

Sioban

anewlife
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby anewlife » Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:43 pm

Sioban, I bet most people using this site haven't even heard of Baza, let alone Galera - they're too far from the coast!! Most posters seem to live in or around the coast, which we avoided like the plague...

sioban
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby sioban » Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:21 am

anewlife, tell me about it!!

sioban
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby sioban » Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:23 am

If any of you do live in or around the Baza area and need advice just call me on 606872955, if i dont answer its because il be at work so just keep trying!