after the Greeks ...

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

after the Greeks ...

Postby Lavanda » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:43 am

After the Greek election is it Podemos for Spain?

katy
Andalucia Guru

Re: after the Greeks ...

Postby katy » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:07 pm

Someone on here actually wants to talk about Spanish politics :thumbup:

It is a possibility. I think the whole of Europe is fed up of mainstream politics so they are turning to the far left/right. I blame Brussels with it's stupid policies.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:56 pm

Interesting times.

Well they have agreed a coalition government.

The test will be when the next tranche of bailout is due about this time in Feb. Without it, how will they pay their public sector employees? It will be interesting to see the "negotiations" behind the scenes. One Greek last night was saying that the Greeks have only had about 10% of the bailout money. The rest went to banks.

Depending on the outcome , Podemos may do quite well. Interestingly my canvassing of rural Spanish friends shows hardly anyone interested in Podemos. They are all born and die PP or PSOE here depending which village they came from!

It will also be interesting to see how Marine Le Penn does in France. I wonder what the odds are for mass defections just prior to the election of sitting MPs in the UK?

anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Postby anyroads » Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:33 pm

Interesting times indeed !

The Greeks will have to tone down their demands, otherwise without help they will run out of money about July. They will not then be in a position to pay pensions to civil servants who were allowed to retire at 51 on 92% of their incomes.They will also have to recoup more of the unpaid tax (God forbid ).

Outside of the Euro, I can't see too many people lining up to lend them money.

anyroads

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:38 pm

It will take just one of the PIGGY countries to leave the Euro (not the EU) and get back their own currency and set their own economic agenda for other countries to follow. Daniel Hannan wrote a good piece today in The Telegraph. He said the Eurocrats worst nightmare is that Greece will leave the Euro — and thrive. There are 12 million people in Greece and they get 14 million tourists every year. Why are they not solvent? OK Government corruption is a given these days and so is big multinationals not paying taxes but perhaps there is a bit more to it than that? Like ordinary people not wanting to work and not wanting to pay tax. Why should they? Not for nothing has the new Greek leader said that he will restore Greek pride and Greek smiles. Interesting.

The Podemos leader went to Greece recently and campaigned with the new Greek party. Brothers in arms and all that. Spain was a solvent, if backward, country before the Euro. It wouldn't take much for it to regain solvency with its own currency ... I think.

PS Just seen your post, anyroads. I don't think any of that matters. The money will come out from under the beds and there may be plenty of people who will want to invest in a Euro-free country with huge potential.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:10 pm

Why is it that all the Countries that are really struggling are the Catholic ones??

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:41 pm

:shock: :? Might as well ask why all the countries that are really struggling are the sunny ones? Or the ones that grow olives? Or the ones where people have dark hair? :?: :?:

anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Postby anyroads » Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:49 pm

Or have lots of expats !

anyroads

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:45 pm

The IMF would have to loan money to Greece and I am sure Cameron could find a few billion in the kitty :lol: they do say that if Germany paid back it's war debts to Greece it would clear the debt.

I don't know much about Greece except it is a great place for a holiday but they don't seem to make anything except wine and oil.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:55 pm

Lavanda, thanks for your sarcastic reply. I was hinting that it may be all the corruption. The catholic countries seem to be the most corrupt.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:05 pm

Greece main exports are mineral fuels (37 percent of the total exports); manufactured goods (13 percent) and food and live animals (12 percent). Others include: chemicals (9 percent); machinery and equipment (7 percent); miscellaneous products (6 percent) and crude materials except fuel (4 percent). Main export partners are: Germany (11 percent of total exports), Italy (10 percent), Turkey (6 percent), Cyprus (7 percent), United Arab Emirates (4 percent) and United States (4 percent). This page provides - Greece Exports - actual values, historical data, forecast, chart, statistics, economic calendar and news. Content for - Greece Exports - was last refreshed on Monday, January 26, 2015.

Greece also gets money from maritime shipping revenue.

Of exporting countries in the world, Greece is about 60th

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:07 pm

Ah! Ha! Sorry, Costakid. I honestly couldn't work out what your post had to do with anything but now I understand. It could be that the Catholic countries are the most corrupt ...

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:29 pm

I have a horrible feeling. If the other club med countries follow Greece and UKIP doesn't get a decent showing we will be stuck in mud of Brussels to pick up the bill when they all walk away without paying their debts.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:59 pm

:lol: Will that be when ex-pats start being smug that they live in Spain after all? :lol:

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:04 pm

Not really because you are all being bankrolled by the UK. And it will be bust :mrgreen: unless you can get Spain to cough up being residents an all :lol:

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:48 am

Perhaps we should start a thread with the title "In which bankrupt country would it be best to get health care?" :lol: :lol: :lol:

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:29 pm

katy wrote:Not really because you are all being bankrolled by the UK. And it will be bust :mrgreen: unless you can get Spain to cough up being residents an all :lol:
All of us are being backrolled by the UK?
What exactly does that mean?

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:33 pm

It means Katy cast her bait in the water and you took the hook. :lol:

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:20 pm

markwilding wrote:
katy wrote:Not really because you are all being bankrolled by the UK. And it will be bust :mrgreen: unless you can get Spain to cough up being residents an all :lol:
All of us are being backrolled by the UK?
What exactly does that mean?
Sorry Mark, I should have said "most of you" :angel:

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:13 pm

:thumbup: