Matriculation Tax - Yachts

Information and questions about the Law in Spain and Andalucia.
onlinelee
Tourist

Matriculation Tax - Yachts

Postby onlinelee » Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:40 am

I would appreciate if a forum member could answer what I hope is a simple question about matriculation tax on yachts please...

I live in Mojacar and in the very near future will become a resident of Spain wishing to purchase a 10m
Spanish flagged/registered used yacht. My question is assuming the last owner paid VAT and the matriculation tax, will I have to pay the later too? If so I guess this will be on top of the 4% registration tax?

If a member has done the same here and can recommend a Spanish marine lawyer who did a good job maybe I could get their details - assuming the forum allows this. Thank you all in advance.

Martin Page
Resident

Re: Matriculation Tax - Yachts

Postby Martin Page » Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:31 pm

Welcome to the forum Onlinelee

Just a quick question First... what Boat/yacht licence do you have - if any ?

ValL
Resident

Postby ValL » Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:54 pm

That was going to be my question also. You may have the relevant qualifications but if not then this might be of interest ... It may be out of date but gives the general idea http://balearics.angloinfo.com/informat ... d-boating/

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:08 pm

The matriculation tax on boats is the same tax that you pay on cars, so it has been matriculated in Spain and has a Spanish number, then you don't have to pay anything again apart from the transfer tax.

Sid

onlinelee
Tourist

Postby onlinelee » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:17 am

Hi, thank you all for your input. I am RYA coastal certified, with ICC, I had thought this was going to be a problem for me as a resident, however, my certification is being taken to the port authority in Almeria, where, I'm informed official paperwork will be issued accepting my qualification in Andalucia.

This was originally suggested to me by a marine lawyer and then confirmed as fact by a sailing club near Murcia who's members have done the same in that region.

Sid, I really hope you are right, do you have personal experience of this after buying your own boat?

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:31 am

No, I bought my boat in the UK and it remained UK registered.

The same matriculation tax law covers boats, cars and aircraft. No one has ever paid the tax twice on a car so I can see no reason why it should be different for boats.

It is a FIRST registration tax.

Sid

onlinelee
Tourist

Postby onlinelee » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:41 am

Sid, what you say makes sense, my fingers are all crossed as this would leave extra to spend on the boat rather than the tax man!! Thanks, Lee