Spanish 'snacks'

Looking for a good recipe for gazpacho soup, how to make a good tinto de verano, local exhibitions and where to hear good jazz? Post your query here to find out more.
ChrisM
Andalucia.com Amigo

Spanish 'snacks'

Postby ChrisM » Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:52 pm

What quick, easy, natural nibbles do the Spanish enjoy? Or do they? Snacking seems to be a junk food culture thing?

To me, tapas are filling enough to be a meal!
Mañana

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Re: Spanish 'snacks'

Postby BENIDORM » Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:36 am

Well, first of all it depends on the region of Spain that you are in, for instance ,inland Granada in the small villages you would probably be offered free tapas of whatever is abundant at the time.
Olives and nuts are always served in our village, but not alone, they usually come with fish or shellfish, stew, roast pork,cheese,sausage, black-pudding,peppers,quail eggs, crusty bread etc., and it depends what you mean by 'natural', at the moment asparagus lightly fried in olive oil comes as a tapa.
Most areas now charge for tapas ,but you will probably get some olives or nuts with your drink.
Prices for tapas do vary alot, but I have always considered them good value even when you have to pay for them.
Many of the bars in our village now offer a list of free tapas to choose from.
And the best value and tastiest drink and tapas I've ever enjoyed was in a little village near Seville in 1963, it was a large glass of vino tinto with a huge piece of rustic bread and a massive piece of cheese,and the cost ?....one peseta...Mind you , I was very hungry and skint at the time.. :lol:
Regards,
Gordon

olive
Andalucia Guru

Re: Spanish 'snacks'

Postby olive » Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:14 pm

Sunflower seeds. Great as more energy is expended than gained. They also make a nice signature mess on the floor. "look how long I have been here!".

I am guessing you mean away from a bar. In rural areas the person comes equipped. Home made salchichon and bread.

From a shop? I don't know. Maybe empanadas. From and seated in a cafe/bar- tostadas. Half or quarter of a loaf toasted with a wide range of toppings. Saw someone today having theirs with a golf ball sized sphere of butter. We have drizzle of olive oil, fresh tomato salsa and cured jamon. (3 of your 5 a day!)