after the Greeks ...

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
ChrisM
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: after the Greeks ...

Postby ChrisM » Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:25 pm

costakid wrote:Why is it that all the Countries that are really struggling are the Catholic ones??
I'm a Catholic, and see that as much an irrelevance as other replies have indicated; e.g. dark hair; expats. Hey ho. From my proudly northern European perspective, I'd be the first to admit that our society is sadly lacking in most of the major life satisfaction metrics. We're the epitome of the definition of a cynic; one that know the cost of everything and the value of nothing.

The current 'negotiations' between the 'Troika' and the Greeks makes me smile. A fascinating culture clash.
Mañana

anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Postby anyroads » Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:33 pm

Coupling this, and the "Best quotes ever" going on elsewhere..

The Greeks have got to learn, there is no such thing as a free lunch !

Feckless is just one word that comes to mind. As with the quotes, I am sure there are others.

anyroads

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:40 pm

If Greece left the Euro and devalued its currency it would be back to financial viability in no time. The same applies to other southern European countries including Spain.
Let's go Brandon!

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:16 pm

Agree Beachy. The euro has done them no favours.

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:26 am

The euro has benefitted one country. Germany. Funny how they didn't complain when all those Greeks took in massive debt and bought all those bmws, bosches, Siemens etc. now it's payback time and Merkel's got her knickers in a real twist.

anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Postby anyroads » Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:37 pm

You could not make it up ....

"Greece’s Court of Audit is about to rule that sons of deceased public sector employees, civil servants and military personnel would be eligible to receive a pension if they are not married.

So far, the law applied only to unwed daughters, who are receiving a pension if their father was a public worker and is deceased. The Court of Audit judges consider that the existing Code of Civil and Military Pensions is unconstitutional because it shows preferential treatment towards women. Now they are considering applying the code to male unwed sons, according to a report in Ethnos daily.

The potential ruling by the Court of Audit might act as a time-bomb, analysts say, because it is estimated that hundreds of thousands of eligible “pensioners” might ask for the funds due to them retroactively. Especially at this time when security funds and state coffers are practically empty.

Also, according to the same analysts, there are many unwed daughters of public sector employees who avoid getting married in order to continue receiving the pension. The same would apply for men from now on."

- See more at: http://greece.greekreporter.com/2015/06 ... jr4MF.dpuf

anyroads

anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Postby anyroads » Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:27 pm

Blimey, it covers deceased mums as well... They are having a laugh.

I did not understand that Greece with less than a fifth of the UK population pay overall 30% more pension than the UK. The official retirement age until recently was 58, but if you were one in one of the 600 plus jobs that were considered dangerous ( like hairdressing ) you could retire earlier. No wonder the Germans are saying enough is enough !

June 18 (Bloomberg) -- Sophia Constantinidou works as a teacher in a private school in Athens. She also has a more lucrative job: remaining unmarried.
The 52-year-old gets 400 euros ($496) a month from the Greek government, part of her late mother’s state pension. Under the current system, Constantinidou qualifies to receive the payment for life as the only surviving child of a deceased civil servant, provided she doesn’t tie the knot.
“It’s not that I didn’t want to get married,” Constantinidou, whose mother died 20 years ago, said in an interview. “But after I turned 40, I realized I wouldn’t be getting married and that thankfully I had this.”

anyroads

anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Postby anyroads » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:33 pm

No idea what will happen in the next few days, but bought 200 euros from Caxton Sunday night at 1.3940. May be a better rate even in the next few days, so may salt away a bit more.

anyroads

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:07 am

Well the Exchange rate for UK funded people continues to rise, I really hope that it is permanent, although doubt it.
But anyone considering buying property in Spain I would suggest that now is probably a really good time,still plenty of bargains around, particularly in the 'campo', if you choose this type of property.

Regards,
Gordon.

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:42 am

Managed €1.42 late last night.
Dave

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:35 am

I wonder what the wording of the referendum will be?

Do you want more living beyond our means?

or

Do you want to pay your taxes and pay back the billions borrowed and be worse off?

anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Postby anyroads » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:33 am

Yes, the "pensions" thing a couple of posts back is an eyeopener. Just think what the unmarried daughter of a highly paid deceased eye surgeon say, would "earn" in pension during her lifetime.

anyroads

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:17 am

BENIDORM wrote:Well the Exchange rate for UK funded people continues to rise, I really hope that it is permanent, although doubt it.
But anyone considering buying property in Spain I would suggest that now is probably a really good time,still plenty of bargains around, particularly in the 'campo', if you choose this type of property.

Regards,
Gordon.
Yes, almost back to normality. Feel sorry for the poor buggers who bought early this year. They will already be in negative equity by about 30%. I haven't seen many bargains in places I know, in fact I think some are having a laugh.

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:04 pm

katy wrote: Yes, almost back to normality. Feel sorry for the poor buggers who bought early this year. They will already be in negative equity by about 30%.
How do you arrive at that figure? The rate started the year at 1.29 and has risen ever since, which even at the lowest would be nowhere near your 30% more like 10% at most

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:34 pm

katy wrote:
BENIDORM wrote:Well the Exchange rate for UK funded people continues to rise, I really hope that it is permanent, although doubt it.

Regards,
Gordon.
Yes, almost back to normality.
Normality in the exchange rate doesn't exist. There are cycles.

The UK has benefited from a week pound enormously. London has become the top tourist attraction in the world but how long will that last? All of a sudden it's become expensive again.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:32 pm

firsttango wrote:
katy wrote: Yes, almost back to normality. Feel sorry for the poor buggers who bought early this year. They will already be in negative equity by about 30%.
How do you arrive at that figure? The rate started the year at 1.29 and has risen ever since, which even at the lowest would be nowhere near your 30% more like 10% at most
A small matter of on costs say 15% I thought I was being generous :D I did not factor in agents fees to sell, mortgage costs etc. let us not dilute the Greek crisis eh.

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:41 pm

Your figures make absolutely no sense whatsoever to what you stated and the actual factual figures.....I based my reply solely on todays figures; what may or may not happen to the rate due to the situation in Greece over the coming days has no relevance to what you stated today.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:02 pm

Let's get back to the Greeks please.

Sid

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:03 pm

Greece gave us the concept of Democracy thousands of years ago and I think it would be just neat if they did so again and freed us from the undemocratic EU where no-one takes any notice of what the PEOPLE want, how they vote, what they say ... nothing.

By all means let's discuss the exchange rate and house prices but, for me, the real interest is in whether the people of Greece do (or do not do) something no-one has yet done ... send the EU a big kick up the bum.

PS Just writing this, Sid! :D

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:12 pm

Another thing is that Obama is starting to talk about talking about debt cancellation for the Greeks. Why? What's it got to do with the USA? NATO, that's what. Do we want Greece to be looking for money, investments, business partnerships, allies and friends OUTSIDE the EU? My guess is not. My guess is that the home-made lefty mob in charge of Greece (perhaps not for much longer) is playing a very confident game. Possibly they see the game with the dots joined up. I just hope the Greek people hold steady and whack the EU hard ... but the EU and NATO cannot afford to let them go completely ...