stickers for headlights

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
gina59
Resident

stickers for headlights

Postby gina59 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:37 am

I am taking my car back to the uk later on in the year, and I will need stickers to change the headlight directions. Can someone tell me what they are called and where I can buy them thank you.
My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Re: stickers for headlights

Postby Enrique » Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:56 am

Hi gina59,
Should be able to get them on the Ferry operator you use...Brittany-Ferries have them on board.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Eurolite-Drive- ... B001P5UVTE
The above Example don't deliver to Spain......... :shock:

If you're going into the Emissions Zone in London you will need to Register(its free) as it uses NPR and can't tell what type of vehicle you're driving.

https://tfl.gov.uk/cdn/static/cms/docum ... -notes.pdf

Had a letter(to Spanish address) after I popped in with my Kangoo (Spanish plates), had to prove it was exempt.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

gina59
Resident

Postby gina59 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:26 am

thanks very much, I will be using brittany ferries, so thats great.
My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:46 am

I used to have a Citroen Dyane and you could change the headlights for UK or continental driving at will be moving a small lever within the headlight assembly.

With all the computerisation and ingenious technology on modern vehicles it is very odd that the beam direction cannot be adjusted accordingly.

I think I have read that there are some types of headlamps than do not have to be changed because they have a universal flat dipped beam.
Let's go Brandon!

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:03 pm

Beachcomber wrote:
I think I have read that there are some types of headlamps than do not have to be changed because they have a universal flat dipped beam.
That makes sense as dipped lights used to have a slight lift at the kerb side to illuminate the side of the road better. It is that bit that is chopped off when you apply the stickers as it would dazzle road users if driving on the "wrong" side..

If the beam is 100% flat there would be no need to do anything. It is easy enough to check if you point the lights at a wall - you will see if it is a flat beam. If not, you can play around with bits of black tape until the beam is flat.

That said, I note that my user manual says that the car does not have a flat beam, but stickers are not required as the dipped beam is within the legal tolerance for "temporary tourist lights".

Sid

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:14 am

Brittany Ferries sell stickers for both left and right hand vehicles identified by either a UK Union flag or a French flag on the packaging. The French ones (for all left hand drive vehicles) have fitting instructions for a whole range with varying headlamps printed in French! If you don't understand French, not to worry as the enclosed diagrams are helpful.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:36 am

For years I have travelled backwards and forwards UK -Spain, Spain -UK, driving both right and left hand drive vehicles and I got fed-up of continually buying beam benders, sometimes I was able to re-use them but often they just fell off after constant use.
So I always carry a roll of black tape and scissors and I made a paper template of the headlamp for positioning, I have used this method for a long time, it seems to work efficiently and I have never had any problems with police etc.
It probably isn't the best method or even correct, but it's worked for me :thumbup:

Regards,
Gordon..Make do and Mend Expert .. :lol:

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:34 am

Flat beamed headlights even pass a UK mot test now.