Expensive internet. Why?

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
northandsouth
Resident

Re: Expensive internet. Why?

Postby northandsouth » Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:35 pm

Or the alternative are the 3G/4G routers (ZTE283) running on movistar unlimited download and speeds anywhere between 10mb/s up to 50mb/s, uploads at 3 to 15mb/s, but back to the original title, expensive.
Buy the router approx 170 to 200 then around 60 a month. Expensive. But can run as a payg with no permanency and plenty quick enough to run anything you want ie, voip, iptv in HD it will do at a breeze.
But also it's expensive.
But also it's quick.
But also it's expensive.
But it works almost anywhere in Spain including most of the campo, no install just plug into the mains.
You pays yer money...........

Andrew Stewart
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Andrew Stewart » Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:12 am

Please don't talk to me about cost of internet & speeds. Although I only live half a mile from Mijas (between Fuengirola & Mijas), my house position is such that there is no landline. The only service seems to be Wimax from Wikiker. I opted for the more expensive €34 + IVA to get 6Mbps download. When I first joined several years ago they guaranteed 6Mbps download at that price, which I got. So, expensive but happy.

Then the UK TV satellite was changed and there was a massive surge of IPTV usage which killed everything. Now they say up to 6Mbps for that ridiculous price, and usually in the evening (between 5pm-12pm plus) I have to contend with 1Mbps or often even less: ie. pretty unusable (I have to control a Windows based VPS via remote desktop, and that's virtually impossible at those speeds).

Yes, I constantly moan at them, but all in all they're a terrible supplier offering an appauling service at very high cost because of over-subscription for the total bandwidth that they have access too.

Do not go with Wikiker Wimax.

But I have no real alternative to my knowledge :( .

grumpfish
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby grumpfish » Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:38 am

Andrew Stewart wrote:
But I have no real alternative to my knowledge :( .
Hi Andrew,

Your alternative is to go 3G/4G. I have 4G from Nerja4G and it is fantastic. 30+mb downloads & 15+mb uploads unlimited all for the price of €60p.m.

Regards
Phil

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:21 am

Andrew, you might be better to go to these people as they are in your area. It's the same product.

http://www.theskydoctor.com/4g-internet ... -spain.php

Sid

bbobandannie
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby bbobandannie » Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:59 am

I dont suppose any one knows if movistar have any plans to roll out 4g to the areas away from the coast? I did hear that there were some delays to the expansion due to issues with the 899Mhz band useage but they should hav ebeen sorted by now.

northandsouth
Resident

Postby northandsouth » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:49 am

I think movistar are going to drop the unlimited 4G packs putting caps on usage, vodafone I'm not sure of.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:05 am

I am surprised they offer an unlimited service - I don't know of any other provider that does and Movistar do not appear to offer it as a product on their site. Typically their data plans are €10/gb.

It seems that the company who supply these 4G modems to various sellers may have done a special deal with Movistar but they could easily impose a cap or "fair usage" policy.

Sid

Andrew Stewart
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Andrew Stewart » Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:42 am

El Cid wrote:I am surprised they offer an unlimited service - I don't know of any other provider that does and Movistar do not appear to offer it as a product on their site.
Sid
That's what concerns me. I had previously seen the SkyDoctor advert, but it seemed to good to be true, despite the massive costs.

Those sort of up/down speeds would be a godsend. I could almost run my PC as a small server!

But if I could get those speeds AND unlimited usage, it'd be interesting, despite the cost. I typically download around 10GB/ day (night times, when my speed isn't too bad). That's a lot.

Of course, there's no indication of installation charge by him (no doubt there would be one, despite it's just a matter of delivery, and connecting up!).

Who would his telecoms supplier be? Maybe one could get a better deal by going direct (after all, he wouldn't be doing this for nothing).

gina59
Resident

Postby gina59 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:26 am

I use wimax with axatel 35 euros a month 4mb and unlimited download with no fair usage, My speed averages 3 and a half most of the time so fairly happy.
My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places.

grumpfish
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby grumpfish » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:58 am

Hi All,

Instead of speculating why don't you take action and ask the questions to the supplier.

Regards

Andrew Stewart
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Andrew Stewart » Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:10 pm

Unfair comment grumpfish. The idea of this forum is to get other members' opinions and experiences. Clearly others have used these services and feedback of their experiences is far more valuable than salespersons so called "promises".

grumpfish
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby grumpfish » Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:06 pm

Andrew Stewart wrote:Unfair comment grumpfish.
I thought it was more than fair. I use 4G and think it is great. I knocking my head against this forum about how good it is but get accused of trying to sell it. Now I'm being knocked for not suggesting it but suggesting people call them and ask the questions. But thank you Andrew for your opinion.

Regards
Phil

northandsouth
Resident

Postby northandsouth » Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:54 pm

My info about the movistar 4G comes from my supplier in Estepona. I've been on the movistar 4G system since last October and it is excellent particularly as we do move around from place to place, fibre optics are available now pretty much throughout this area but for us 4G is best.

Apparently vodafone will continue to offer unlimited so I only a sim card change to go with them using the same ZTE 283 router.....but we'll see whether they keep that promise. There will be a vodafone contract drawn up no doubt with clauses, we didn't have such a contract with movistar.