Suggestions for what to do with my Spanish registered 4x4?

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
Lion
Andalucia.com Amigo

Suggestions for what to do with my Spanish registered 4x4?

Postby Lion » Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:43 am

Sorry for the avalance of questions lately but here's another...

As some of you already know we are moving back to UK next month, I am driving our jeep back to UK (via Bilbao crossing) filled with some personal belongings but once back in UK I will be looking to sell it as the ITV expires in April 06 and will want a smaller vehicle.

It's probably worth between 1500 and 2000 Euros here in Spain, but I am concerned that the value of it in the UK will only be a few hundred pounds as it's left hand drive/spanish plated.

I have even considered the prospect of driving it all the way back to Spain to sell it again but the costs involved with that may not be worth it.

Any suggestions?

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:53 pm

You could sell it on eBay in the UK - you'd be surprised how many people would jump at the chance of buying a Spanish plated LHD car with which to emigrate.

Lion
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Lion » Sun Jan 22, 2006 1:19 pm

Yeah that could be worth a shot, I have heard lots of bad things about selling cars on Ebay though, people win the bids and either don't turn up or turn up and decide not to bother leaving the seller with fees and having wasted time, obviously not everyone is like that though.

There is a LHD sales place in London that offers cash for 4x4's but as it's their business they would probably offer less than half it's value.

Bongtrees
Andalucia Guru

Postby Bongtrees » Sun Jan 22, 2006 1:27 pm

Lion wrote:Yeah that could be worth a shot, I have heard lots of bad things about selling cars on Ebay though, people win the bids and either don't turn up or turn up and decide not to bother leaving the seller with fees and having wasted time, obviously not everyone is like that though.

There is a LHD sales place in London that offers cash for 4x4's but as it's their business they would probably offer less than half it's value.
I have never had a problem selling anything on ebay, including selling 2 vehicles.

Members value their feedback too much.

Alternatively what about autotrader?

However, how will you deal with the change of ownership documents? Potentially you could end up with massive fines accumulated by the new owner if not done correctly with the debt registered against your Spanish property?

Mike

Lion
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Lion » Sun Jan 22, 2006 2:16 pm

However, how will you deal with the change of ownership documents? Potentially you could end up with massive fines accumulated by the new owner if not done correctly with the debt registered against your Spanish property?
Yeah, that's one thing that concerns me, could I not organise a gestoria/accessoria in Spain from UK to organise this to liase with the buyer of the vehicle?

I have heard it takes around 1 month.

safeashouses
Resident

Postby safeashouses » Sun Jan 22, 2006 8:47 pm

Lion - Steve Goddard is looking for a 4x4.

You could then buy a 'still legal' UK registered car to travel back in with your possessions but you would need to arrange insurance.

Lion
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Lion » Sun Jan 22, 2006 9:13 pm

safeashouses wrote:Lion - Steve Goddard is looking for a 4x4.

You could then buy a 'still legal' UK registered car to travel back in with your possessions but you would need to arrange insurance.
Since I posted this thread 3 members have contacted me via PM, Steve was one of them.

The problem with me selling this end will be finding a legal UK plated car that would be big enough to take back my belongings, not many UK plated cars in the paper have any Tax or MOT.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:07 pm

You may be better advised to accept a good offer on your vehicle and arrange some kind of alternative transportation for your belongings.

Lion
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Lion » Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:40 pm

Too late for that now, ferry is booked and paid for.

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:59 am

Before moving out here I bought my LHD 4x4 from The Left Hand Drive Place in Basingstoke. They buy and sell LHD vehicles. Can't guarantee the price they will offer you but their web site is:

http://www.lhdplace.com

safeashouses
Resident

Postby safeashouses » Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:08 am

Lion wrote:Too late for that now, ferry is booked and paid for.
It may be worth making enquiries into changing your travel plans as you are going to be stuck with your vehicle unless you can take it back to Spain to sell.

You will be unable to advertise it privately through Autotrader with a spanish registration document and would have to set up a trade account. To do this you either need to be on the electoral roll or have utility bills in your name at the address you are advertising from. It's going to be difficult to sell as either the registration documents would need to be transferred in Spain or import procedure taken in UK.

Lion
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Lion » Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:02 pm

masterob wrote:Before moving out here I bought my LHD 4x4 from The Left Hand Drive Place in Basingstoke. They buy and sell LHD vehicles. Can't guarantee the price they will offer you but their web site is:

http://www.lhdplace.com
Thanks, will contact them also.
It may be worth making enquiries into changing your travel plans as you are going to be stuck with your vehicle unless you can take it back to Spain to sell.
Worst case scenario is to sell to one of these Left Hand drive centres, one of which (based in London) has already said they will buy it, obviously they are in it to make money though so the offer won't be a good one.

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:50 pm

Lion
I note from your original posting that you are returning next month via Bilbao, presumbaly on the P&O ferry "Pride of Bilbao".
Don't know if this is relevant or not but, according to announcements on OCI radio over the last few days, the vessel is undergoing a refit which is taking longer than expected and will not be back in service until mid-February. No specific date given but those with bookings are advised to contact P&O in Bilbao.
Apologies if you already know this and fingers crossed that you are not affected.
Cheers.

Lion
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Lion » Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:34 am

Thanks for this, no I was not aware.

My crossing is on the 23rd February from Bilbao so hopefully will be done in time.