E Cigarettes

For tips, tricks and secrets on good health, beauty, fitness and sport join this forum.
Lyric
Andalucia Guru

E Cigarettes

Postby Lyric » Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:29 pm

Does anybody have a reliable source of these things and their associated cartriges. By reliable I do not mean a stall on Trapiche market that may be gone tomorrow, but a vendor that is in it for the long term.
The nearer to Nerja the better.

gina59
Resident

Re: E Cigarettes

Postby gina59 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:36 pm

I have a feeling they are now banned in spain. I brought mine on the internet from one of the better known companies ( vip.)
My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:59 pm

There is a partial ban in Spain similar to the ban on smoking.

Strangely, it does not apply to bars and restaurants.

http://www.abacoadvisers.com/spain_expl ... tion-spain

Sid

johnr
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby johnr » Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:46 pm

They aren't banned.

There's a great stall in El Ingenio that is very reliable and friendly. It's outside the downstairs Primor.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:34 pm

Perhaps someone should tell the government they made a mistake in the BOE, then:

http://boe.es/boe/dias/2014/03/28/pdfs/ ... 9.pdf#BOEn

(pages 27002 and 27003)
Let's go Brandon!

johnr
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby johnr » Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:51 pm

Sorry, what's your point?

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:30 pm

Their sale may not be banned but, then, neither are cigarettes but in virtually every other respect they share the same status, as detailed in my link (and in Sid's).
Let's go Brandon!

johnr
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby johnr » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:45 pm

They aren't banned. Plain and simple. There are restrictions on where you can use them, but that was already established before you posted. And as has already been pointed out, not in pubs or restaurants. I fail to see what your post contributes to the debate or - more to the point - the original question.

The latest research shows they are around 95% safer than cigarettes so I suspect we may see a u-turn on these laws eventually (not just in Spain) when they finally accept they are a great way for smokers to stop.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:25 pm

johnr wrote:They aren't banned.

There's a great stall in El Ingenio that is very reliable and friendly. It's outside the downstairs Primor.
You are missing the point.

The sale of E-cigarettes is not banned and I am not aware that anyone has said otherwise, apart from the OP who raised the question, but their use in certain areas is banned.

What don't you understand about that - it seems pretty simple to me.

Personally, I think the ban should be extended to bars and restaurants.

Sid

johnr
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby johnr » Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:38 pm

No Sid, I'm not missing the point. But presumably I'm the only one reading this thread properly.

The first reply, by gina59, said "I have a feeling they are now banned in spain."

That was the post I was replying to. They aren't banned. Yes, there are some restrictions on where you can use them, but the comment "I have a feeling they are now banned in spain" suggests more than restrictions it suggests a ban. Would it be accurate to simply say 'cigarettes are banned'? No, clearly not.

You've just claimed the OP said they were banned. He/She didn't.

And then beachcomber jumps in with a sarcastic reply (which can only be directed at my comment that they 'aren't banned') saying "Perhaps someone should tell the government they made a mistake in the BOE, then:"

and then provided a link to a document that doesn't say they are banned, only their use is restricted in some public areas. And then goes on to say they share the same status as cigarettes in 'virtually every other status' - except they don't...

Why would you want them banned in pubs? There's no proof at all they cause any health problems to others and they have just been shown to be 95% safer for users than cigarettes.

Also they are not being used in any significant numbers by people (adults or children) who have never smoked cigarettes. They are being used either purely for enjoyment or to get off much more harmful cigarettes. So what's the harm? I presume you want coffee machines, kettles, boiling pans of water and other forms of steam banned too?

My word. What a fuss over a simple question from the OP.

OP - as I said, the stall in El Ingenio is reliable, friendly, good quality and reasonably priced.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:46 pm

My contribution is a link to the actual law which specifically uses the term:

'Se prohíbe el consumo de dichos dispositivos, en...:'

which by no stretch of the imagination can be translated as 'restricted'.
Let's go Brandon!

johnr
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby johnr » Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:02 pm

I really don't mean to be rude but ...

It says prohibited in ... and then lists places they are prohibited.

As it is not prohibited everywhere, it is not 'banned' which is what the first reply to the OP said.

If something is allowed in some places but not others, their use is restricted. The government document is correct because it says they are prohibited IN x, y and z places. And nothing I've said contradicts that.

As I said in my last post - would you say 'cigarettes are banned' ? Hopefully not, unless you are being really stupid or pig-headed. There use is RESTRICTED to certain areas.

Another example. Is alcohol banned? No. Is alcohol banned whilst you are driving? Yes. Therefore it is restricted.

It's the same with e-cigs. They are prohibited / restricted / banned (whatever word you want to use) IN CERTAIN AREAS - they are not 'banned' full stop.

You're arguing for the sake of arguing. Or worse.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:29 pm

I stand by my comments and the fact that 'prohibido' does NOT mean 'restricted'. I am not going to argue with you about it.
Let's go Brandon!

johnr
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby johnr » Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:32 pm

I don't dispute what the word prohibido means. You seem incapable of following a debate or any sort of logic. I'm glad you aren't going to continue to argue with me. Quite frankly it's painful to read.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:45 pm

johnr wrote: ?There's no proof at all they cause any health problems to others and they have just been shown to be 95% safer for users than cigarettes.
So, as you say, they are 5% as bad as cigarettes - that's bad enough for me to express my reasons for not wanting to inhale the "vapour".

Sid

johnr
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby johnr » Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:53 pm

And as I said there is no conclusive proof the vapour has any secondary effects on other people. Do you drink alcohol? I don't. But I don't mind if you do. I know it doesn't get into my body. So why should I care? (unless you turn violent etc).

I love how the owners/mods of this site are the ones determined to continue this thread that has gone wildly off-topic. The OP asked a simple question. I answered it.

Everything other than that has been incorrect statements or me correcting them. None of which help the OP with their question.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:55 pm

We do not know how bad they are for health as they are still a newish product. I have seen the oil vapour on the inside of a friends car and its scary. I would not be in a car if someone was using an E cig.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:55 pm

I meant to say the inside of the windscreen.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:43 pm

I don't like the smell of the things, and view users as being as pathetic as smokers of tobacco.
Picking one's nose or farting in public is not a health risk, but thus does not mean I want people to be doing it around me!
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

johnr
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby johnr » Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:40 am

Good for you peteroldracer. As they come in about 30 different flavours and smells, I'm not sure how you can make such a blanket statement but whatever makes you happy. I'd wager you have habits that annoy people too. I hate people who tap the table constantly, play with their car keys, spout rubbish and talk loud Daily Mail crap. But I have to put up with it, or choose to go somewhere else.

Why can't you just let the OP have an answer to their question without having to give your valued opinion?