Wifi leechers

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Wifi leechers

Postby Mowser » Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:07 pm

Over the past few days I have noticed a number of people sitting across the road surfing the web. I assumed the village had upgraded the wifi points. Wrong! I checked on home station and saw umpteen phones, tablets and ipads on my wifi. I downloaded a program that showed all users on my network. I checked my settings and saw that it was set to WEP. I changed it to the Wap.settings. I also saw it wasn't protected. I changed this.

Question. Is there an app for desktop that would allow me to block leechers? I've searched high and low but the only ones I see are from Softonic. This site has caused problems in the past.
Dave

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Wifi leechers

Postby El Cid » Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:47 pm

Once you have a decent password you should have no problems.

Sid

scotty
Resident

Postby scotty » Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:57 am

Sell them coffee and then give a password. Now your broadband costs nothing :clap: . Of course you could just password protect your wifi instead.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:49 am

Movistar allows its customers access to any other of their customer's routers as part of their hotspot network.
If the system works like mine, you have to opt out if you don't want to permit access but if you do, you don't have access to the hotspots.

The hotspots are Incrypted so both parties don't have access to each other's network.

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:06 am

When I checked the settings on 192.168.1.1 it was set to WEP. This was changed to WPA/WPA2.
The password is stated as "excellent". No problems since this was changed.

I searched for a program to block unauthorised users. This can be done using MAC addresses. I was looking for a simple program where I could "click" on leechers and boot them out. I have seen a few programs where you can "screw up" the leechers' phones but I don't want to do this. Also in my searches, I noticed that anyone with a bit of computer know-how can even hijack an encrypted wifi set-up.
Dave

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:17 am

WPA is much more difficult to hack than WEP, but it is possible. You can prevent this by disabling WPS on the router ((assuming it has that option).

Another thing you should do is change the router password and username - it is usually factory preset to admin and admin or 1234 - 1234. You can also prevent the router from broadcasting its SSID.

Sid

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:22 am

Mark, a little more explanation please? Are you saying that any Movistar customer can access my router? And that I can access others? How? I've never heard about this. And how do you "opt out"?

I used to hide my SSID, but Chromecast won't function with it hidden :thumbdown:
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:44 am

Thanks Sid. It's the admin or 1234 I can't change. I have the manual for the router but it appears unclear how to do this.
Dave

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:49 am

Miro wrote:
I used to hide my SSID, but Chromecast won't function with it hidden :thumbdown:
You could always change it to Guardia Civil - that should keep the hackers away!

Sid

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:07 am

Hi Mowser,
Having fun in the Integrated World........... :lolno:

You could just switch the router off when you're not using it.........and see them all fall off the wall.... :D
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:18 am

Hi Enrique. I did that a few days ago, and the people in the street with their tablets suddenly left.
No problems since I secured the WiFi. Still looking for a simple program in case someone manages to hack.
Dave

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:33 am

Hi Mowser,
You should be OK now.
Good that Mark pointed out about the Hotspot default being on.

It seems these days being Opted IN is the Default with all these new systems, Windows 10 being a good example.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:05 pm

If you want to see who is actually using your WiFi then install "Fing-Network tools" from the Google app store.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:52 pm

Miro wrote:Mark, a little more explanation please? Are you saying that any Movistar customer can access my router? And that I can access others? How? I've never heard about this. And how do you "opt out"?

I personally don't see it as a big problem because it is run as a completely separate network. Hiding your SSID wouldn't really make ant difference in this case because it would still need to be hacked to enter your network.

This is common practice in the UK too. When you sign up to free Wifi using your mobile, many of the hotspots in town centres belong to shop's routers.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:25 pm

El Cid wrote: You could always change it to Guardia Civil - that should keep the hackers away!
Sid
I actually changed it Trojan Horse a while back!

OK Mark, so probably not a problem - but nevertheless, how do you actually opt out?

Since contracting (accidentally) Movistar TV a while back, I can no longer log into my router settings using 192.168.1.1, although I can see how many devices are connected (at the moment, one by ethernet and one by WiFi, which I know is my mobile, so no problem). Logging into the router settings via the Movistar website, I can't remember (if I ever knew) where I can see how many devices are connected at any time.

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

Chunky Monky
Resident

Postby Chunky Monky » Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:37 pm

gerryh wrote:If you want to see who is actually using your WiFi then install "Fing-Network tools" from the Google app store.
Very useful app Gerry, thanks.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:52 pm

Miro wrote:
El Cid wrote:

Since contracting (accidentally) Movistar TV a while back, I can no longer log into my router settings using 192.168.1.1.
Try 198.168.2.1 0r 198.168.0.1

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:22 pm

markwilding wrote: Try 198.168.2.1 0r 198.168.0.1
Neither of those work; nada: page unavailable...
The Movistar engineer who "installed" TV (the box is in a cupboard gathering dust) told me the only way to access the router settings now is via the website (MiMovistar - configurar router)

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:15 pm

Miro. What happens if you key into the browser bar http://homestation
Dave

johnr
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby johnr » Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:21 pm

Miro, look at this page https://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/Find_Your_Gateway_IP

Find your gateway IP and then go to that in your browser.