Dormidina sleep aid

For tips, tricks and secrets on good health, beauty, fitness and sport join this forum.
Nimrod
Resident

Dormidina sleep aid

Postby Nimrod » Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:33 am

Mrs N would like to go to New York but the journey time is putting her off.
If she could sleep on the plane that would do the job but like me she is not too good at sleeping.
Has anyone tried Dormidina,it was recommended by my neighbour in Spain who gets it otc.
Has anyone any experience of this or any other otc sleep aid please?

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Dormidina sleep aid

Postby El Cid » Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:06 am

I tried them some time ago. There are two strengths - 25 and 12.5mg.

I tried a 25mg and it really knocked me out - still groggy 12 hours later. You can easily break the pills in half so try that first. If that's too much get the 12.5mg. They are antihistamines so they are a bit more "natural" that some of the usual pills such as valium etc. No apparent side effects - apart from not wanting to get up in the morning!

Sid

Nimrod
Resident

Postby Nimrod » Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:37 am

Thank you very much Sid,that's the answer that Mrs N wanted.
I'm like Mrs Thatcher,a few hours a night does me ,I go to bed late and get up early.
Antihistamines have a strange effect on me so I never take them now.They bring on restless leg syndrome so rather than making me sleeepy they have the opposite effect,my arms and legs are jerking away like a puppet on Thunderbirds!
Thanks again Sid.

ValL
Resident

Postby ValL » Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:55 am

Steer clear of it if you have treatment for glaucoma especially if you have closed-angle glaucoma, (narrow-angle glaucoma or angle-closure glaucoma) Antihistamines may cause dilation of the pupil and provoke angle closure in people with narrow angles. I have open angle glaucoma and was recommend not to take it. I think asthma sufferers are also advised to avoid it.

Nimrod
Resident

Postby Nimrod » Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:17 am

Thanks Vail.
Our eyes ,as checked 2 weeks ago,seem to be one of the few things which work normally!

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:40 am

Nimrod wrote:Thank you very much Sid,that's the answer that Mrs N wanted.
I'm like Mrs Thatcher,a few hours a night does me ,I go to bed late and get up early.
Antihistamines have a strange effect on me so I never take them now.They bring on restless leg syndrome so rather than making me sleeepy they have the opposite effect,my arms and legs are jerking away like a puppet on Thunderbirds!
Thanks again Sid.
Antihistamine has a similar effect on me. They make me feel sleepy but restless and I toss and turn. Worse than not sleeping at all. Fortunately I have no problem sleeping when flying, usually asleep within the first hour :D

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:31 pm

Antihistamines give me palpitations, I can't take them, unfortunately. A friend has recommended melatonina, I might try them.

teralin
Resident

Postby teralin » Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:15 pm

My GP prescribed melatonin as a sleep aid. €24 for 30 tablets from the pharmacy which I think is quite expensive. How much is Dormidina?

ValL
Resident

Postby ValL » Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:03 am

Melatonin sounds interesting, especially for glaucoma suffers, I will mention it to my consultant. It is also available it says in a form suitable for vegans rather than using animal product. I hate to think how that is extracted :(

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:25 pm

Melontin is used mainly to adjust the body clock in jet lag etc. even then it is useless and unproven. Also taking hormonal stuff can have serious side effects.

I would change my Doctor if He tried to prescribe them.