Taking a dog to UK for first time

Are you looking for information or help related to pets in Andalucia. Post your questions and advice about domestic pets, veterinary services, legal issues.
olive
Andalucia Guru

Taking a dog to UK for first time

Postby olive » Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:38 am

I might be driving over soon and want to take the dog. He has a pet passport and it is current i.e. rabies jabs up to date. next Eurican vaccine is due 7th Oct.

Is there anything else you have to do? Does anyone actually check your paperwork? Chip read the dog etc?

katy
Andalucia Guru

Re: Taking a dog to UK for first time

Postby katy » Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:00 pm

Euro tunnel does. There is a separate drive in animal centre. They inspect paperwork and read the chip. I suppose other channel ports do the same. Ask your Vet to check the chip before you set off.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:34 pm

Hi olive,
From the Brittany-Ferries info..............

"Dogs - Tapeworm treatment must be administered by a vet between 24 and 120 hours before arrival in the UK. The passport must be signed, dated, stamped and include the date and time of treatment as well as the manufacturer and the name of the product used. If the pet passport does not comply with this, we regret that we will not be able to carry the animal under the Pet Travel Scheme."

When you go for the above, get your Chip read so you know its working.

From UK site...............

https://www.gov.uk/take-pet-abroad/tape ... tment-dogs

Make sure all the Dates in Pets Passport are correct format ie Full date , not like March 2013

Any corrections need to have been signed by Vet and Stamped

Have a read of Check List................

http://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/infor ... -checklist

Brittany Ferries at Santander have special Pets Check In....they are very thorough.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:38 pm

Excellent, thanks :thumbup:

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Sat Sep 26, 2015 3:46 pm

You will find that all routes into the UK which allow pets (eg freight lines do not as a rule) will have a similar system, and usually the sticker that gets put on your windscreen indicates that you have a pet aboard as you go into the queue area. When you hand your ticket in, the dog is already marked on the ticket, and the chip is checked by the "reader" machine (same as your vet will use to check it) - that is when you get the sticker for the windscreen.
The worming has to be done within the time zone of actually crossing the channel, rather than setting off from home .... can be tricky to organise but if you know you are going to take a long time to travel up, say from Andalucía to Calais, you may have to organise for a vet to do it en-route!!! Usually though your local vet will post-date it to fit the time necessary to comply, if it is only a matter of hours out.
So you need
Ticket including reservation for the dog
Passport with details of chip (more recent passports actually have photo of dog too now!)
Up to date Rabies vaccination, written into passport with sticker from the phial, by vet.
Worming done and details written up into passport etc by vet, to coincide with specific time of crossing.
By the way - all this is only done going INTO the UK: coming back to Europe no one could care less!!
But for travel through France, and out of Andalucía, the passport covers their local requirements too, not that anyone checks!

gus-lopez
Resident

Postby gus-lopez » Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:36 pm

& after they fill in details on pet passport make sure that they seal it with the clear plastic so that it cannot be tampered with ( new addition required by UK) otherwise they'll get funny.
Todos somos Lorca.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:33 pm

The new style Pets Passport...............from 29-December-2014
Old style one valid until entry spaces filled up.

Look up Security Features of new Passport.....

"A laminated page will be provided which needs to cover Section III (Marking of the
Animal)"

http://ahvla.defra.gov.uk/external-oper ... 141_v1.pdf

An interesting line............ :?:

"Entries in the passport should be completed in a colour other than black"
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.