Samsung J Series TV

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
GerryFelch
Andalucia.com Amigo

Samsung J Series TV

Postby GerryFelch » Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:30 pm

Just ordered a new Samsung UE48JU7500TXXC TV from Wortens which is due to be delivered Friday, does anyone know if its a painless and fairly straightforward process to change its app store to U.K?

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Samsung J Series TV

Postby El Cid » Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:36 pm

The Smarthub software on the J series is very different from the older series and I am not aware of any hack available to change the country app store. No doubt someone will find a way, but so far I have not found one. If I had, I would be buying a new J series.

You could email Samsung and tell them that you ordered one from Amazon in Spain, but it came from Italy with Italian apps and you want to change it.

That's not a joke as I have recently had a H series from Amazon Spain which came from Italy. However it was easy to change using the existing hack.

It is worth asking to see what they say.

Sid

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:54 pm

Gerry, yes it looks like you can and it seems quite straight forward, read up on this the other day as am looking to get a new J series Samsung shortly and was also interested to know if you could change the app store.

http://www.eyeondemand.com/2015/08/26/h ... app-store/

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:07 pm

Interesting. It's the same hack as the H series. I thought a hack would be available soon so that's good news.

Let us know if it works and then I can order a shiny new J series!! Hopefully one of the new curved ones!

Which model are you looking at - there seem to be so many choices now. This site has some good prices.

http://www.electroprecio.com/tv-imagen/ ... =48&mId=22

Sid

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:41 pm

Due to my wife's request for a new oven. I've had to put my purchase of a new TV on the back burner for a few months.
I'm glad I did now because the one I'm after is much cheaper on that website than El Corte Ingles where I was going to buy it.
It's great that there's a confirmation that the country can be changed.
Last edited by markwilding on Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:01 pm

El Cid wrote:
Which model are you looking at - there seem to be so many choices now. This site has some good prices.

http://www.electroprecio.com/tv-imagen/ ... =48&mId=22

Sid
Thanks that site looks good and does have some great prices....still not made mind up as to model but this one's looking favourite at present

http://www.electroprecio.com/tv-imagen/ ... 27d79bd7fe or the LED SAMSUNG 55" UE55JS9000

FYI Its nearly €500 more expensive in El Cortes Ingles

GerryFelch
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby GerryFelch » Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:09 pm

Thanks for all the info and link...cheers

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:45 am

firsttango wrote: ...still not made mind up as to model but this one's looking favourite at present

http://www.electroprecio.com/tv-imagen/ ... 27d79bd7fe or the LED SAMSUNG 55" UE55JS9000
I find it difficult to choose from the Samsung range as they have so many models and the top and bottom prices for the same size vary enormously.

The model you mention is near the top of their range, but is it really worth twice as much as this one?

http://www.electroprecio.com/tv-imagen/ ... -9830.html

Sid

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:01 am

Totally agree regarding the vast amount of different models can leave one a bit bewilderd.

My choice is based on trying to be a bit future proof which in this day and age is pretty much impossible but the main difference in that respect is the model you mention is Full HD whereas the ones I'm considering are 4K, and although content sparse at present its starting to become more and more available.
Also the refresh rate is massively better at 2,000hz.
Still a bit of thinking and head scratching to do until I commit to model.

morlandg
Resident

Postby morlandg » Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:09 am

El Cid wrote:
firsttango wrote: ...still not made mind up as to model but this one's looking favourite at present

I find it difficult to choose from the Samsung range as they have so many models and the top and bottom prices for the same size vary enormously.

The model you mention is near the top of their range, but is it really worth twice as much as this one?

http://www.electroprecio.com/tv-imagen/ ... -9830.html

Sid
No 4K nor 3D.......

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:14 am

I agree about 4K - assuming we ever get any 4K content! That said, there is a newer model of the one I quoted that is 4K for only an extra €20.

Very high refresh rates are a mystery to me. I never had a problem when 100hz was the norm. I guess it again depends on the content - I know that fast moving sport can look better with higher rates, but of course we also have to consider not just the content but also the source. Since the days of HD satellite TV down here could be numbered and with few really good IPTV streams available and low speed connections it becomes a difficult decision for many.

It would be sad to spend €2k on a 55" TV and end up watching Filmon!

Sid

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:15 am

morlandg wrote:
No 4K nor 3D.......
Does anyone actually watch 3D?

Sid

morlandg
Resident

Postby morlandg » Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:23 am

I expected that response Sid but actually I do and the grandchildren love it. The choice of films is now much greater than when I bought the tv. It's a similar but not exactly the same argument as 'why buy a 4K TV now?'

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:36 am

El Cid wrote: Very high refresh rates are a mystery to me. I never had a problem when 100hz was the norm. I guess it again depends on the content - I know that fast moving sport can look better with higher rates, but of course we also have to consider not just the content but also the source. Since the days of HD satellite TV down here could be numbered and with few really good IPTV streams available and low speed connections it becomes a difficult decision for many.

It would be sad to spend €2k on a 55" TV and end up watching Filmon!

Sid
The higher refresh rate definitely improves the quality massively when watching action films and fast moving scenes of any kind.
As I said I was looking to be as future proof as possible and Movistar Fibre Optic will become available to me early in the new year. So speeds of 100mb and above should be available.
Yes have heard that the Intelsat 907 is virtually at the end of its operating life and will be retired shortly so who knows what will happen then...new satellite and unbreakable encryption?
4K content is available now from various sources and will only continue to expand.
http://www.techradar.com/how-to/home-ci ... es-1299886

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:40 am

I'm more for 4K than 3D. Content is starting to appear. You Tube has some as do Netflix. BT sport show EPL in 4K. It's just a matter of time before the BBC makes a showcase documentary.
Faster internet speeds are key but that's where I believe we will see the main growth.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:48 am

I can't see the BBC investing in 4K in the current climate. Let's face it, they don't even transmit the Proms in 5.1 surround sound! At least BBC iPlayer seems to be improving all the time, but if they carry out their threat to stop the use of VPNs that won't help. Let's hope they don't find a way of blocking Smart DNS.

Sid

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:57 am

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:06 pm

I suppose the big question is whether those plans will actually happen if they have more cutbacks and also what platforms will they use? Freeview or Freesat or both. They were promising 3D, but they dropped that.

I guess the best hope we have down here is iPlayer in 4K with a decent Internet connection!

Sid

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:10 pm

Well, I finally made a decision, prompted by a friend offering to buy my 4 year old Samsung 48" D series. After much checking I went for the 55" curved J6500 for €1149 with a 5 year warranty for only an extra €69.

I don't want 3D but the curved screen fits in with our viewing distance and I like the fact that it has the Smart remote included. 4K is more important since I recently upgraded my Internet connection to a 45mb/sec WiMax connection.

Sid

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:13 pm

Is it possible to change the hub to uk?