Football Thread

For tips, tricks and secrets on good health, beauty, fitness and sport join this forum.
flyeogh
Resident

Football Thread

Postby flyeogh » Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:05 pm

Just thought good to hear from those football fans who have experienced Spanish football (and any great trips back to blightie for a rare game).

Up in Asturias I saw two games of Candas CF playing in the lower ranks (Tercera División – Group 2). About 100 to 200 fans. The coffee/sweet shed had a dustbin full of iced beer. There is a stand but you could sit anywhere you liked. Gents toilets were a patch of grass behind the stands and the ladies was in the changing rooms :oops: At 10 Euros it was a good experience but I felt a bit pricy for the locals. The level wasn't good. Not much better than good sunday morning stuff back home. But fun and for you sure a chance to learn a few extra words and phrases 8)

Thought I'd get a Cadiz game in before the season out and next year start going regularly. But before that back home for Watford/Newcastle. My ex-pat :wink: Geordie mate who lives in Ayr will come down for that :D
El raton de watford

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Re: Football Thread

Postby markwilding » Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:37 pm

Funnily enough I've been to Vicarage Rd this year, first time there. I went because Southampton were playing. Last year I got to see England at Wembley.

Here, I've been to the Camp Nou and Bilbao quite a few times over the years and my son wants to go the see a Real Madrid match this season if possible. I've got quite a few weekend trips back to the UK between now and the end of the season so it might not be.

I was hoping England would play a Euro 2016 match in Bordeaux as it's only three hours from here but all their matches are going to be too far away.

Every weekend I watch my son play. His team plays in second bottom league in the pyramid, about 4 lower than the Spanish third. His trainers have included ex professionals and one ex Spanish international player. 6 euros to get in.
Last edited by markwilding on Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

biribiri
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby biribiri » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:04 am

I'm a regular visitor to the Ramón Sánchez Pizjuán Stadium in Sevilla. Highlights so far this season have been victories against Barca, R Madrid & Juventus.
The low point being totally outclassed by Man City.

Len S
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Len S » Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:03 pm

I enjoy going to watch Malaga play when I am over in Spain. I haven't been this season but I believe it is pretty turgid stuff, which is very disappointing as I went several times last year and was impressed.

My first love is Everton. They currently have the makings of a very good team, but like most outside the top four will lose their very good young players to the wealthy clubs who can usually also offer Champions League football. Whilst I can understand the attraction of playing C L football I sometimes think it is over egged.

For most, all?, football supporters following your team can be a very frustrating experience.

Btw my opinion of David Beckham the footballer is that you do not get to play many years for the top teams in the world unless you are good, very good. As Mark has said a wonderful crosser of the ball, a bit like Gerard Deulofeo! As a retired Footballer He strikes me as being a decent chap.

flyeogh
Resident

Postby flyeogh » Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:48 pm

In Spain I love sitting in t-shirt and shorts watching the game. I also, in Asturias, like strolling across the road to the local bar and having a swift one before a coach pulls up outside and takes us to the stadium door (about 13 kilometers), and is there to bring us back immediately after the game 8)

However I must admit at my last two La Liga games at Sporting Gijon I found the lack of away supporters and the cheer leader using a megaphone rather off putting.

My Spanish friends couldn't understand why Carlisle fans might travel to Plymouth or similar such journeys. I tried to explain that even in the third division going to a Watford away game, five hundred Watford fans singing their hearts out, a cold windy night, fish and chips or a warming meat pie, a long way home - was a special event. And if we won ............ :D

Glad I get the chance to experience both though :thumbup:
El raton de watford

flyeogh
Resident

Postby flyeogh » Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:36 pm

Who will choose the chosen one?

I can't see him in Manchester. He likes London too much. Maybe portugal after the summer?

But for sure can't see him being out of work long 8)
El raton de watford

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:01 pm

He threw his cap in the ring big style for the United job a couple of years ago and was snubbed for Moyes, after his recent antics I can't see him in Manchester either :mrgreen:

The next manager has to do something special or I can see the Russian cashing his chips in and/or asset stripping.

Chelsea I guess would be back to lower table/championship football in no time, especially when their attendances drop back to 17,000 as they were before the money came in.
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

Trigger
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Trigger » Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:20 pm

flyeogh wrote:Who will choose the chosen one?

I can't see him in Manchester. He likes London too much. Maybe portugal after the summer?

Fulham still need a manager!

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:01 pm

I really like the Rosaleda, plenty action and reasonable costs. Shame is that the area gets full of loud idiots when there is some sort of football match on next door to the shopping centre, spoils the Carrefour experience.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:27 pm

flyeogh wrote:Who will choose the chosen one?

They could use him at Aston Villa for sure, 0-3 to SUNDERLAND !! dear oh dear :oops: :oops:

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:47 pm

Local game today, kick off 11.30 we won 3-2. Good game. Cost: 3€ ladies, 5€ men. We have season tickets, 30€/50€ There was approx 400 supporters today, damp weather. Morón play in the Primera Andaluz Grupo 2
I am also a Real Betis supporter, I could have gone today, my friend offered his ticket, on the halfway line, perfect seat, but timings were not good for me. They lost, 0-4 :shock: glad I didn't go!

flyeogh
Resident

Postby flyeogh » Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:36 pm

oliveview01 3 and 5 es seems good value whatever the level :)

Just seen Val - RMA and a cracking game. I expect Gary Neville will privately not be unhappy with that.

Today in La Liga 22 goals in the 6 games with only Betis not scoring. Almost makes me think of getting paid TV :wink:
El raton de watford

flyeogh
Resident

Postby flyeogh » Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:18 am

Obviously 4 points from the top of La Liga and Champion's league to play for meant Benitez had to go :wink:

Such madness is now the norm but to then appoint Zidane :crazy: Don't get me wrong lovely guy, great player and lacks nothing in motivation but experience??? Not that as a Watford fan I'm complaining as such loonisy leaves managers with a strong CV (Quique Sanchez Flores) for us :D

It will be interesting to see what happens if Zidane ends the season without silverware.
El raton de watford