NowTV

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
gerryh
Andalucia Guru

NowTV

Postby gerryh » Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:51 pm

Just bought a new black NowTV box.
Tried to create an account but it seems to need a debit/credit card with a UK address.
I have a UK debit card and Spanish debit and credit cards but all cards are linked to my address here in Spain.
Is there any way around this?
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: NowTV

Postby El Cid » Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:09 pm

Just use any UK address. They don't check the card against it. I had no problems with my UK card which is registered in Spain.

Sid

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:10 pm

Gerry I vaguely recall someone on here (possibly Mark Wilding) said they'd set up their Spanish friends with NOWTV and used their Spanish cards, this was a while back.
Did you have Browsec or another VPN on running through U.K when you tried....just a thought.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:16 pm

I used my UK card and gave my son's UK address but got a message to the effect that setup had failed and to contact them. :thumbdown:
I'll have another go.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:28 pm

Just tried again and got message:-

"Sorry...
There has been an issue with your sign up. Please contact our help team for more information."

I'm using Hola unblocker which shows me as having a UK IP address.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:53 pm

All I can add is that I did a friend of mines in Torre a few weeks ago, as he had a similar problem, we started afresh and did it from my laptop but using BROWSEC extension via Google Chrome Browser. Maybe NOWtv site is using a cached version that was rejected previously on your system.

mac69
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby mac69 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:17 pm

I tried Nowtv in March this year , I still have a card registered to an old UK address and that got me in . I only wanted to test how it worked out of the UK , so only had it for a month .

I have just been into my account now and re the card and it asks for a billing address and for country it only gave me the choice of UK or the Channel Islands .

I used Browsec VPN from my iPad.

GerryinCajiz
Resident

Postby GerryinCajiz » Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:44 pm

gerryh wrote:Just bought a new black NowTV box.
Tried to create an account but it seems to need a debit/credit card with a UK address.
Is there any way around this?
Cheers
Gerry
I got a family member in the UK to set mine up, it is only required for the initial setup unless, you want to purchase some of the available sky packages.
Gerry

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:00 pm

Gerry, I think you use a Mac. Empty history and empty caches. If you can’t empty Cache download develop and clear it that way.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:04 pm

Succeeded at last in creating a NowTV account.
It looked as if the main problem was ridiculously long response times to anything I inputted. Shouldn't be a problem at my end as I currently have a fairly fast connection via Toway satellite.
Now to have a play with NowTV.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:06 pm

I signed up a friend using his Spanish card. We had to use a VPN though because we were getting the same message as you. I think I must have used Browsec to get around it.

Chunky Monky
Resident

Postby Chunky Monky » Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:57 pm

mac69 wrote:I tried Nowtv in March this year , I still have a card registered to an old UK address and that got me in . I only wanted to test how it worked out of the UK , so only had it for a month .
I'm a bit confused about NowTV, I thought Sid said it can be used without a monthly subscription, is that correct?

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:04 pm

Yes, it can be used without a subscription. If you buy it online from Amazon or from Argos/Comet etc, it includes a pass of your choice - it's an extra £10 on top of the basic £15 charge if you buy direct.

If you buy direct, you get a short trial of the pass of your choice (14 days I think). In both cases you can cancel the automatic renewal at the end of the period.

You will need to pay for a SmartDNS service which is about €35/year to allow use outside the UK.

Sid

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:25 pm

The Iplayer has just had a neat little update, allowing you to pause live TV. This with the start at the beginning feature is making it really smart.

Chunky Monky
Resident

Postby Chunky Monky » Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:02 pm

El Cid wrote:Yes, it can be used without a subscription. If you buy it online from Amazon or from Argos/Comet etc, it includes a pass of your choice - it's an extra £10 on top of the basic £15 charge if you buy direct.

If you buy direct, you get a short trial of the pass of your choice (14 days I think). In both cases you can cancel the automatic renewal at the end of the period.

You will need to pay for a SmartDNS service which is about €35/year to allow use outside the UK.

Sid
Thanks for the reply. Has anybody been able to get a UK Amazon supplier to deliver to Spain?

I already have SmartyDNS.

As a result of Mark's remarks about the upgrade to the BBC iPlayer, I looked again at the app on my Samsung J series tv and I can now watch the BBC channels live on it. Although my internet speed is about 7-8Mbps on average I changed the app settings to HD and it runs ok with only the occasional stutter for buffering. The picture is very good considering we have been using Filmon a lot of the time.

My main reason for considering the NowTV box is for watching BBC/ITV/Ch4 live. I am not bothered about films or sport as I can get these through Kodi/XBMC.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:17 pm

I just checked and you can buy the NowTV from Amazon UK for £15 including an entertainment package which usually ups the price to £25.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/NOW-TV-Month-En ... ords=nowtv

Postage is £6 to Spain but it's a good deal at that price.

BBC must have just changed their app, as last night I could get live on my H series but, not the new J series. Tonight it's on both. Picture quality of the live stream is OK but I have noticed that the quality of the HD catchup stream is now as good as HD on the live I907 satellite feed.

The apps on the TV seem to give slightly better PQ than on the NOWTV box, but I do need to check that they have not also improved. BBC seem to be changing their apps all the time, mostly for the better. ITV have a long way to go to equal it.

Sid

mac69
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby mac69 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:19 pm

Chunky Monky wrote: I'm a bit confused about NowTV, I thought Sid said it can be used without a monthly subscription, is that correct?
Just to clarify , I think I am correct in saying , you can use a now TV box for a trial period , but to continue using it you have to have a subscription ( about £6.99 a month ) and as has been said you need a VPN to use it out of the UK . Otherwise it just sits there and does nowt .

Edit .....I apologise for the bum information , El Cid is indeed correct . You can use the Nowtv box without a subscription . BBC , ITV , 4OD and 5 on demand ....great from a really low cost box .
Last edited by mac69 on Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:22 pm

No, you are not correct, you do not need a subscription.

I have been using it for ages without one. You do need a VPN or DNS but a DNS is preferable as not all routers allow you to use a VPN but all almost routers allow a DNS. Also a VPN will slow down your connection, a DNS does not.

Sid

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:48 pm

A little tip regarding live BBC sport. When there is live sport or even Match of the Day,watch it with the BBC sport app because there is a HD option.

Chunky Monky
Resident

Postby Chunky Monky » Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:13 pm

El Cid wrote:I just checked and you can buy the NowTV from Amazon UK for £15 including an entertainment package which usually ups the price to £25.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/NOW-TV-Month-En ... ords=nowtv

Postage is £6 to Spain but it's a good deal at that price.]
Thanks, I've ordered one, it will be interesting to see how it works out.