Dns or vpn

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
suzyq
Andalucia.com Amigo

Dns or vpn

Postby suzyq » Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:36 am

Hello, I currently have an Android box from a uk company with vpn installed. My broadband is via movistar and varies between 8 and 14 mbps. No problem receiving film on or catchup tv and until recently no prob with itv player or BBC I player. Although my box is shown as being Android 4.2.2 the new itv hub will not update and says I need a newer Android setting. I also use a kindle fire with a different vpn which seems to work fine with BBC but the itv hub will not play and the vpn provider says that itv must be blocking the vpn. I am now near the end of the vpn contracts and am looking at a dns solution. I have read many of the threads and would ideally like to connect my now tv and maybe Amazon fire stick. I have been told by local tradesmen that you cannot change the dns settings on a movistar router. Is this true and does anyone know of someone able to do this in the Mijas Costa area . ?

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Re: Dns or vpn

Postby firsttango » Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:59 am

Go have a look at below link. May answer many of your questions. Yes you can change the DNS setting on a Movistar Router. You can easily do it yourself. It is very simple to do

https://www.smartydns.com/

There are other suppliers but this is the one I use and have been excellent.
Last edited by firsttango on Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

northandsouth
Resident

Postby northandsouth » Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:04 pm

I also use a smart DNS service, (there are many out there to choose from), my 4G router definitely can't be altered so the smart people told me to plug another router (TP Link) in to it and they sent me instructions on how to alter the DNS. Working fine with Amazon Fire TV box.
So IF you can't alter the movistar router there is a way round.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:14 pm

I have a router, supplied by my ISP, in which it isn't possible to change the DNS settings either. On most gadgets this isn't a problem because they can be changed on the gadget itself. The two exceptions being the NOW TV box and Chromecast.

The solution is to buy another router, connect it to the Movistar router, change the DNS in the settings in the new router and connect your boxes to that one.

I have my old one as modem but a friend uses both as routers and it doesn't seem to cause any problem.

The router you buy should depend on how far you need to extend the WIFI signal. I also use TP-link because they work well and the DNS settings can be changed easily.

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:27 pm

markwilding wrote:
The solution is to buy another router, connect it to the Movistar router, change the DNS in the settings in the new router and connect your boxes to that one.
Why? When you can change the DNS on the Movistar Router...makes no sense at all.

northandsouth
Resident

Postby northandsouth » Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:40 pm

Well obviously if the OP can change the DNS on their router, you're absolutely right. They said they had been told otherwise.
Last edited by northandsouth on Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:43 pm

Absolutely! I have changed the DNS on a number of Movistar routers.

Not all SmartDNS services work on all devices. SmartyDNS definitely works with NowTV, but some others may not. Most DNS suppliers give a list of devices that will work with their DNS.

Sid

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:51 pm

northandsouth wrote:
firsttango wrote:
markwilding wrote:
Why? When you can change the DNS on the Movistar Router...makes no sense at all.
Well obviously if the OP can change the DNS on their router, you're absolutely right. They said they had been told otherwise.
Well obviously they'd been misinformed.

Martin Page
Resident

Postby Martin Page » Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:57 pm

You are all right ...you can change the DNS in the router ... BUT it will do absolutely no good to you.
You will not be able to watch UK catch-up TV on a movistar router with the UK DNS installed .... Sorry Tango !

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:05 pm

"Martin Page" What an earth are you talking about? The poster asked can you change DNS on Movistar router. My answer was a simple YES.

Where do I mention watching anything....?

But what do you mean you can't watch any catch up TV? I watch it all the time using smartydns.

suzyq
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby suzyq » Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:44 pm

Can I clarify ? I don't want to change dns setting in my minister router for the same of it . I want to watch tv with catch up and improve on my Android box with a vpn. If I need to add a second router could anyone recommend a specific second router. Both routers would be close together and very close to whatever devices I connect. I have a now tv box and an Amazon fire stick which I use in the UK and would get similar to bring t o Spain when I am out next month.

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:58 pm

So why start a thread titled "DNS or VPN" and state you're looking for a DNS solution??

"I am now near the end of the vpn contracts and am looking at a dns solution."

northandsouth
Resident

Postby northandsouth » Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:03 pm

suzyq wrote:Can I clarify ? I don't want to change dns setting in my minister router for the same of it . I want to watch tv with catch up and improve on my Android box with a vpn. If I need to add a second router could anyone recommend a specific second router. Both routers would be close together and very close to whatever devices I connect. I have a now tv box and an Amazon fire stick which I use in the UK and would get similar to bring t o Spain when I am out next month.
This is the one I use a TP Link TL-WR841N

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:12 pm

Martin Page wrote:
You will not be able to watch UK catch-up TV on a movistar router with the UK DNS installed .... Sorry Tango !
I don't understand what you are trying to say.

I use SmartyDNS and I have been watching UK catchup TV via a DNS on my Movistar router for the last two years.

Sid

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:21 pm

suzyq wrote:Can I clarify ? I don't want to change dns setting in my minister router for the same of it . I want to watch tv with catch up and improve on my Android box with a vpn. If I need to add a second router could anyone recommend a specific second router.
Absolutely pointless. You will have to change the DNS in the second router so why waste effort when you can change the DNS in the Movistar router?

Sid

suzyq
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby suzyq » Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:04 pm

Thanks for the advice. I have had two people who offer computer services to my house and both said movistar router could not be changed . They did not charge any fee or suggest an alternative which is why I raised the issue having read with interest the various helpful posts on this site - particularly el cid. I really want to move on from the Android box with vpn and hopefully will go with the smartdns option which most people seem to favour. Thanks again and I have noted the second tp link router recommended. I assume I could use the smartdns on my kindle fire ( not fire tv ).

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:51 pm

I don't have a Kindle Fire, but I expect it will accept a change to its DNS settings. If it does not, it will pick them up from the router.

Most devices, out of the box, have the DNS setting set to "Auto" which means that it picks up the settings in the router by default. If the device has the option to set up the DNS manually, whatever you put into it will override the DNS settings n the router. When you get a router from your ISP it usually has the ISPs preferred settings. For example, Movistar will point you at their DNS servers.

Routers sourced direct tend to have one of the more popular DNS servers pre-entered - Google DNS is a favourite. Many users change the ISP settings to Google as it is supposed to be a better, faster server than the ISPs servers.

Movistar routers allow you to access the settings using the usual methods, but they also have an online service which makes it easier. They specifically mention DNS changes so that is more confirmation that it is possible, whatever some may say.

Sid

Superplonk
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Superplonk » Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:02 pm

My set up, in case it helps anyone:

We have "indirect ADSL" with Orange (who get the line from Movistar). Download speed is usually 5.8m. The Orange router does not allow the DNS to be changed, but this is not a problem as we adjust individual items instead.
The Kindle Fire (new 7 inch version) will not allow DNS to be changed from Auto to Static in the settings, but there is a free app called "Wifi Settings" in the Amazon store that easily gets around this.
Changing from VPN to smart DNS was an excellent move. The additional speed means no more buffering, apart from with the Iplayer.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:39 pm

firsttango wrote:
markwilding wrote:
I thought so too.
I can't with my router but I'm not with Movistar. My solution was for if it wasn't possible.

It is also possible to change the DNS settings on my Amazon fire stick.

Martin Page
Resident

Postby Martin Page » Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:05 am

I don't understand what you are trying to say.

I use SmartyDNS and I have been watching UK catchup TV via a DNS on my Movistar router for the last two years.

Sid
There must be different Movistar routers then ....all I can find that identifies my router is the firmware version ZXHN_H108NV2.1.0n_ERU_ES2.

The DNS 1 is set to the UK DNS, and DNS2 is left original . It has beenleft like that for some years since the last time we had this conversation

THE same ukDNS is set on the Smart TV - that works

I can not get UK TV catchup on the PC - It Returns a geolocation error