Moorish Handmade Tiles

Looking for information or help in the field of DIY and home improvement. Post your questions, suggestions and comments here.
telboy
Resident

Moorish Handmade Tiles

Postby telboy » Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:58 pm

I have a client who is tiling both a bathroom and what he calls 'The Alcazar Room' , both floor and wall, he wants to use a montage of tiles just like on this link http://www.baldosahidraulica.com/baldos ... ferta.html (see the colour patchwork illustration)

These tiles are 200 x 200 x 17mm, apparently they are made of compressed cement and soapstone using a hydraulic press, so they are neither glazed nor fired like that of ceramic tiles. Has anyone come across any of these tiles and know a supplier :?:

Cheers
terry

olive
Andalucia Guru

Re: Moorish Handmade Tiles

Postby olive » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:42 pm

You could try asking at Porcelanosa in Granada (near the old AKI and Sanchez shops). If they don't/won't supply, they would advise who would.

A few years ago we had a look around what could laughingly be called shops in Sacramonte and thought we had stumbled upon traditional Andalusian tile stockists. The displays were coated in dust and the prices for what little they had was astronomic. To this day I am convinced they are just fronts for laundering drug money.

telboy
Resident

Postby telboy » Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:18 pm

Hell Fire :!: :!: :!:

Just found another supplier in Seville - 89€m2 not including tax, delivery, and fitting - astronomic prices.

terry

scotty
Resident

Postby scotty » Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:12 pm

Spooky . . . . . I met the wife of the owner of the company you linked above last week at the Saturday market in Puerto Banus. She is from Scotland and I think her husband is Spanish. Their shop is in San Pedro de Alcantara.

pilgrim2
Resident

Postby pilgrim2 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:49 pm

Probably not handmade Moorish tiles, but that pattern/design/colour is widely available in my part of Seville I have seen them on a few houses and in Leroy Merlin in Tomares and one of the Brico stores.

telboy
Resident

Postby telboy » Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:05 pm

Pilgrim2 - Yes, I know Leroy Merlin do very good ceramic copies of these Moorish tiles, but my 'moneybags' client wants original tiles.

scotty - Are you sure it's them, I looked at there website for the shop in San Pedro de Alcantara, they don't mention or display any photos of the particular tiles I am after, anyhow I've emailed them and still awaiting a reply - I let you know what I find.

cheers
terry

scotty
Resident

Postby scotty » Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:09 pm

Hi telboy, thats the website his wife gave me two weeks ago. My wife had bought product from her at the Banus market twice and was pleased with it. Let me know how you get on as I'm looking for Terracota tiles for my patio. Thanks.

Peshma
Tourist

Postby Peshma » Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:09 pm

Try this company in Pueblo Nuevo de Guadiaro (near Sotogrande)
http://www.valerianosl.com
We bought beautiful handmade 'Moroccan' tiles from them for our kitchen - at a fraction of similar tiles in Fired Earth in the UK!!

andalucia
Site Admin

Postby andalucia » Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:27 pm

Founded nearly a century ago, Mosaicos Pinos still makes its beautiful mosaic cement floor tiles using the same hydraulic process and the same patterns as when it started. This fourth-generation family company, in La Palma del Condado (Huelva), whose floor tiles can be seen in houses all over Andalucia as well as the magnificent Plaza de España in Seville, is keeping alive a traditional artisan industry. With these cement tiles bang on trend in England, the company has set its sights on the British market

http://www.andalucia.com/craft/cement-f ... s/home.htm

scotty
Resident

Postby scotty » Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:11 pm

Advetorial :crazy:

andalucia
Site Admin

Postby andalucia » Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:13 pm

The andalucia.com page about Mosaicos Pino hand made hydraulic tiles is not advertorial it is editorial lead due to their 99 year history. There are very few 'advertorial' pages on Andalucia.com website which adheres to the good practice of alerting the reader to an advertising motivated articles or pages with the words 'Advertising feature' or 'Advertorial' at the top.

We would like to see more cross referencing between the forum and the main website and encourage forum members to link to Andalucia.com main website whenever there is relevant information of interest to the forum reader. It is the advertisers on the main website who finance this forum and without their support this forum would not be sustainable.

Likewise we encourage andalucia.com editors to link to any relevant relevant forum thread.

If any forum members would like to volunteer to help with the cross linking project please PM us.