Portugal tolls

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
elusive
Andalucia Guru

Portugal tolls

Postby elusive » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:19 pm

Has anybody recently travelled into portugal using the toll system ans can explain what to do

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Re: Portugal tolls

Postby Enrique » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:35 pm

Hi elusive,
Have you read through this.................... :?:

http://www.portugaltolls.com/en/web/por ... agens/home

pilgrim2 was a regular user back in 2014......still about :?:

..........for first hand user experience.... :?:
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

dxf
Resident

Postby dxf » Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:29 am

Hola

If you cross from A49 Sevilla / Huelva road, go over the bridge and on the right there is a place to buy the necessary toll charge. If you miss it then you can purchase at the petrol stations

Davexf

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:10 pm

Thanks

pilgrim2
Resident

Postby pilgrim2 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:53 pm

Yes still here and still using the toll:)

I always pay at first garage and prefer to pay in cash since they took payments twice on two consecutive occasions, and it took ages (about 40mins) for the very nice lady in our local Caixa bank to get my money back. She commented that it happens a lot.

Way back when it first opened and I used my UK bank Card you made 3 or 4 payments from the boarder to the airport and then the bank charged me for each individual transaction. :thumbdown:

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:48 pm

Thanks pilgrim. We will be staying in lagos so just travelling back and forth along the coastal resorts for a week is there a certain option we should buy. Also looking on street view theres an information centre just over the bridge ( from seville)Do you pay there or is it futher on .bit concerned about going through the camera system before we have paid up.

pilgrim2
Resident

Postby pilgrim2 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:22 pm

Just after the bridge you pull over to the right and you cannot miss the automatic toll booths. Towards the busy times you will get pulled over into the toll lanes by the Police and you will asked questions in English by the tourist information? people doing a survey? On these occasions I just drive straight past the toll machines. There are a couple of cards they don´t take, I think it is MasterCard and Visa Electron.

Its a while before you pass under the cameras.

If you are doing the coast road you can avoid the toll road maybe Rafiki can help out? I have used it a couple of times but I just head in the general direction I am in no position to give directions :crazy:

dxf
Resident

Postby dxf » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:52 pm

Hola

The coast road is the N125 and is now a death trap; so busy with people in a hurry that dangerous overtaking takes place. No-one uses the toll road - so the N125 has to take it all causing massive impatience.

The first two exits in Portugal are free but miss the second and you will go through the cameras. If you have a hire car, they have automatic passes I believe

Davexf

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:31 am

Thanks both. We want to stick to the motorway as its a long enough drive and we are collecting family from faro airport before driving on. Think we will just use the booths on the otherside of the bridge. Prefer to pay in cash but it seems to be the easiest option as i know where im going in seeing the information centre etc on street view

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:31 pm

Elusive - the toll thingy at the bridge from Seville will only take CREDIT cards - not debit or electron. It doesn't actually say that anywhere, and the machine will pretend to take your card and intimate that you have a problem with your card - panic starts to set in ... eventually after about 4 goes with our Visa debit card we pressed the button for help and were told that of course OUR card did have a problem in that it was not a CREDIT card !!! Simplest just to go on to the Olahao service station and either use your debit card or cash ...

There are various tariffs available. If you are cruising up and down the Algarve and will want to use the motorway then there are options (I think 20 euros fixed rate, or a 5 or 7 day pass - you will need to check the portage website for details.) Or you can pay as you go each time to get onto the motorway - always stop at the first service station and pay - quoting where you want to get off, and if it is a single or return trip. NOTE - the web page makes it quite clear that you can book your passage in advance and pay on line, no problem EXCEPT again it will only take a CREDIT card !!!

Going to Faro Airport from the Seville direction there is a fixed fee - just tell the assistant at the service station where you are going, and if it is return, or single - they usually speak Spanish and English ...

dxf
Resident

Postby dxf » Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:52 pm

Hola

I think the reason is that credit cards always get paid whereas debit cards can be bounced through lack of funds. My Spanish "credit" card is refused but my English credit card accepted

Davexf

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:38 pm

Thanks for that gasman.We have a spanish credit card so hopefully that will work. If we have issues at least we are forewarned

pilgrim2
Resident

Postby pilgrim2 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:16 pm

I went to Faro Airport last Friday. The machine in the garage was not working so I had to buy a card for 10€ It gives you the instructions in English on the the back of the card. Scratch off the silver bit and text the code to the given number with your registration. A clear example is given. You receive a conformation message with your details.