can I be fined?

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Rogue
Andalucia.com Amigo

can I be fined?

Postby Rogue » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:59 am

I have a Spanish guy working at my house doing a bit of brickwork and tiling. A neighbour has just told me I could get a fine of 1900€ and he would be fined too, as he is working for cash. I asked him and he said yes, we both will be fined! I didn't know he wasn't supposed to work for me, he has done so on and off for several years.

I suggested he just said we helped each other if there was a problem, he said, no, you can't do that in Spain, we will be fined! Can someone please explain

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Re: can I be fined?

Postby peteroldracer » Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:59 pm

Assuming this is not a wind up.....you should be aware that any building work - interior or exterior, minor or major usually needs a licence from your Ayuntamiento, with fees payable. This is why so much work happens on a Sunday when the local police are off duty....
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:44 pm

Hi Rogue,
From my experience of doing it the proper way.......your possible 1900euro fine is small change.
Then there is the Time delay in getting License.......and at the end of project getting the Completed license.

Speaking to Spanish friends at the weekend they just go ahead and pay the fine if caught.......... 8)
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Rogue
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Rogue » Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:21 am

The work is very small, a few repairs to tiles and a bit of plaster. I have found he is not registered as autonimo as he previously told me he was. He has admitted it. So another question, Can I still be fined? Is it my responsibility to check his paper etc? Am I responsible for his legality? In the uk, the onus is on the worker, not the employer.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:14 am

I'm no expert but I have to show my receipt from the bank to confirm I've paid the autonomy every month to certain companies. They have tended to be the much bigger ones such as Vodafone.

I have been told it is to conform to civil responsibly insurance. I have to say though, none of the smaller companies or individuals have ever asked to see anything.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:32 am

Rogue wrote: Am I responsible for his legality? In the uk, the onus is on the worker, not the employer.
Well actually if you employ an illegal in the uk you are risk of a £10000.00 fine for every person who is illegal.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:57 pm

To be honest I am not surprised that you didn't receive many replies to your thread "can I be fined" probably because half the forum are in or have been in the same boat as yourself...Have a look back..lots of I always pay cash to tradesmen etc etc...chill out...unless you broadcast it and your worker does then expect the worst...the Spanish are very good at informing..

pilgrim2
Resident

Postby pilgrim2 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:30 pm

Only today my daughter had a note from the local police informing her to go to the ayuntumiento, she was having two flowerbeds (patches of dirt in her case) concreted over and the police happened to be driving past. She has to pay 2 per cent of the cost or a minimum fee of €60. All for €150 euros worth of work. She also has to take in the invoice............

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:20 pm

costakid wrote-
Well actually if you employ an illegal in the UK you are at risk of a£10000.00 fine..
What relevance does that have? The OP wrote that the guy doing the work is Spanish!

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:09 pm

Rogue wrote:The work is very small, a few repairs to tiles and a bit of plaster. I have found he is not registered as autonimo as he previously told me he was. He has admitted it. So another question, Can I still be fined? Is it my responsibility to check his paper etc? Am I responsible for his legality? In the uk, the onus is on the worker, not the employer.
MASTEROB, Stop digging me out and bitching like a girl. ROGUE wrote and I answered.

Is it my responsibility to check his paper etc? Am I responsible for his legality? In the uk, the onus is on the worker, not the employer.[/quote]

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:19 am

pilgrim2 wrote:Only today my daughter had a note from the local police informing her to go to the ayuntumiento, she was having two flowerbeds (patches of dirt in her case) concreted over and the police happened to be driving past. She has to pay 2 per cent of the cost or a minimum fee of €60. All for €150 euros worth of work. She also has to take in the invoice............
Just shows how boring their jobs must be..nothing better to do..unbeleivable! my OTH said pathetic!

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:20 am

I thought Franco had died!!

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:30 am

How do you think the streets are paved, lit, schools funded, cemeteries run....councils have to get their money from car taxes, IBI and of course licence fees for work.
Of course they have nothing better to do - that is their job!

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:43 am

Peter...im sorry.. but soon they will need permission to use the loo..come on..a few flower beds!!

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:51 am

So you make an exemption for flower beds....then fences, then 3-bedroom extensions?
It is far simpler to have a scale if charges for work - all work - as long as the mayor's brother pays the same as the wealthy German and the poor peasant.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:59 am

No Peter, i'm only talking about flower beds, i have no intention of getting into a discussion about 3 bed homes...

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:47 am

Costakid, you seem to be confusing the legal entitlement to be living and working in the UK ( which the penalty you quote relates to) and the legality of carrying out work ( qualified to do so), which has nothing to do with said penalty.

I doubt the OP would be referring to the legal resident status of the worker having said he was Spanish!

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:04 pm

How did the neighbour know the bloke was working for cash? Tell nosey neighbours nothing, apart from sod off when they stick their noses in.

As for cash, what's wrong with that if the tax is paid on it, I pay cash for jobs over there but there's IVA and the rest on it.

A bit too much scare mongering with this subject although it's died off over the last few years.

When we bought expats were telling us we needed planning permission to fit a bog roll holder, act sensible as to what you do, what you build and who does the work and there's no issues.

Must be horrific living in an urbanisation surrounded by curtain twitcher's, it would do my head in.
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:18 pm

Paying in cash is a figure of speech.
The OP asks if he can be fined, which he can for various reasons
He then said he could deny responsbilty, which logically he can't.
If you can't produce a receipt, you clearly know the VAT hasn't been paid, iIlegal both here and the UK.
Now it's up to him.

I certainly wouldn't be the one to grass him up