driving english reg. vehicle in spain

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Bongtrees
Andalucia Guru

Re: english reg car spain

Postby Bongtrees » Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:49 pm

donna bagnall wrote:some one i know purchased a car in u.k informed insurance company that they were taking it to spain and that it would only be used for 6 months of the year, some paper work signed and they have had no problem
The problem with all these stories is that they are that just stories or heresay.

I cant tell you how many people I have caught out as liars this afternoon after using the links in Niges message.

You state they have had no problems but has this been tested by a claim?

I dont understand why so much hot air is wasted on stories about people avoiding their duty to others.

Why dont they just insure their car legally in the country they are using it in instead of thinking up the next dodge or way to save a few euros all the time?

Mike

Nige
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: english reg car spain

Postby Nige » Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:16 pm

Oh I hope I didn't start a new ugly sport of Licence plate spotting.
There should really be more trains in Andalucia to spot.
As a matter of interest, what does a Linea Direct insurance policy (for example) say regarding these things. Has anybody read the small print ? I only ask because I need to know.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:20 pm

Linea Directa will not insure a non-Spanish registered vehicle.

Nige
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Nige » Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:26 pm

:lol: So these English cars are uninsured then ? or who does insure them ? Surely not the UK insurers who can easily check the data base ?

Quote from www.miic.org.uk

The Motor Insurers’ Information Centre (MIIC) was established by the insurance industry to oversee, on their behalf, the development and ongoing management of the Motor Insurance Database (MID). This database is already a key tool in the crusade against the crime of uninsured driving, with details of every individually insured vehicle now held on the MID.

The UK has one of the worst records in Western Europe for uninsured driving, with an estimated one in every twenty cars on the road being driven without proper insurance cover. This results in every honest motorist in the UK paying £15 - £30 of their insurance premium to compensate the innocent victims of these cheats... and the problem is growing at a dramatic rate.

Not only will the database help to reduce this crime, but it will also assist the UK in meeting the 4th EU Motor Insurance Directive. This directive, which came into effect on 20 January 2003, requires that details of every insured vehicle be accessible by a national information centre, in order to make cross-border claims less onerous. In the UK, MIIC will fulfil this role.

Susi
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Susi » Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:40 pm

Nige

Having tried one of the local British number plates on the link you gave it says that the car is exported. What does this mean if the car still has UK plates after nearly two years?

Nige
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Nige » Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:58 pm

Good point Susi. My common sense would say that if something is 'exported' then it is likely to be 'imported' somewhere else. Presumably if something is 'imported' then the regulations of the country involved would apply and not the 'exporting' country. Perhaps someone who has 'imported' a UK vehicle into Spain can comment.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:28 pm

Nige wrote:Good point Susi. My common sense would say that if something is 'exported' then it is likely to be 'imported' somewhere else. Presumably if something is 'imported' then the regulations of the country involved would apply and not the 'exporting' country. Perhaps someone who has 'imported' a UK vehicle into Spain can comment.
then if it was "imported" it would have spanish plates ;)
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:42 pm

Nige wrote::lol: So these English cars are uninsured then ? or who does insure them ? Surely not the UK insurers who can easily check the data base ?
They are insured with Gibraltarian insurance companies by dodgy brokers on the Costa del Sol.

Andy1
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Andy1 » Sat Feb 04, 2006 1:05 am

Hi,

I imported my Uk reg car. If it says on the DVLA site that the vehicle is exported that means that the owner of the car has applied for an export certificate from the DVLA and has been issued one. This was how we did ours and the export cert was needed for the change process.

With regards to seeing British plated cars with a valid ITV sticker, the car would probably be in the process of being matriculated, as the ITV has to be done before the final paperwork is completed and Spanish plates issued.

I must say, if the relevant authorities made the process easier and more straighforward, it has taken me 5 months to finally get mine done, then maybe there would be alot less foreign cars on Spains roads.

meseta
Andalucia.com Amigo

How about a few details please ?

Postby meseta » Sat Feb 04, 2006 6:33 am

Hey Beach, How about backing that one up ?

"They are insured with Gibraltarian insurance companies by dodgy brokers on the Costa del Sol."

Dodgy in what way ?

Which Gibraltarian insurance companies ( plural ) ?

I take issue with such a sweeping generalisation !

meseta
Andalucia.com Amigo

Great links !

Postby meseta » Sat Feb 04, 2006 6:36 am

Thanks Nige, very useful links.

mhic
Andalucia Guru

Postby mhic » Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:22 am

I bought an old motorbike in the UK back in September brought it out here and have been working on it on and off ever since. I was told by a snotty cow at Swansea that I did not have to get a new V5 what I needed was an export licence which I applied for and got.

I've just checked the vehicle licence Nige posted and it's not shown as exported and as the last owner sent of the sold part of the V5 and I am not registerd as the keeper I wondered who they will chase for the road tax.

Mhic.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sat Feb 04, 2006 11:06 am

I ran a UK car here for a few years. I had an accident and the insurance co. wrote it off...I got full value from Norwich Union..insured in Gibraltar. This is not hearsay it was ME. Ok it was some years ago and things could have changed.

If you are all legal, why so worried? There are also more than 70,000 cars registered in málaga province that are uninsured. There are also many German cars driving around whose owners live here. The police can't be all that bothered as visit any pueblo in andalucia even the smallest seems to have a UK reg car parked some of them very old and in bad condition.

Bongtrees
Andalucia Guru

Postby Bongtrees » Sat Feb 04, 2006 11:40 am

katy wrote:I ran a UK car here for a few years. I had an accident and the insurance co. wrote it off...I got full value from Norwich Union..insured in Gibraltar. This is not hearsay it was ME. Ok it was some years ago and things could have changed.

If you are all legal, why so worried? .
katy not heresay but out of date info. You dont say how long ago and forget to take note that EU law changed a few years ago and currently states that the car must be insured in the the country it is in.

Us ¨legals¨ are worried that in the event of an accident with the ïllegals¨ we will not be able to claim off them and be penalised by increased premiums, loss of excess etc. etc.

I for one hope the Guardia get to grips with this problem and I for one shall not hesitate to give our local station Niges links.

Mike

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sat Feb 04, 2006 12:19 pm

It was about 5 years ago. Agree about the concerns re. accident but aren't you concerned about the 70,000 spanish uninsured too?

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Sat Feb 04, 2006 2:53 pm

katy wrote:It was about 5 years ago. Agree about the concerns re. accident but aren't you concerned about the 70,000 spanish uninsured too?

i would be... most of the un-insured cars are bangers .. and would make an aweful mess in a crash :(
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Re: How about a few details please ?

Postby Beachcomber » Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:53 pm

meseta wrote:Hey Beach, How about backing that one up ?

"They are insured with Gibraltarian insurance companies by dodgy brokers on the Costa del Sol."

Dodgy in what way ? ...
That they take your money, provide you with insurance then deny all responsibility when you need to make a claim.

meseta
Andalucia.com Amigo

killer statements

Postby meseta » Sat Feb 04, 2006 4:41 pm

OK,

Now what companies are we talking about ? What dodgy brokers ?

I'm sure we'd all love to hear more !

Have you had any experience of this, personally ?

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:54 pm

My own vehicles are Spanish registered with Spanish insurance but I have some friends who had an accident in a UK registered vehicle insured in this way and have been left entirely in the lurch.

The situation is ongoing and I am not going to prejudice their case by going into details but I think people should know that when it comes to the crunch this type of insurance is not valid.

If you are an insurance broker as well as an estate agent I am sure that you conduct your business in a proper manner but I can assure you there are many who do not.

Bongtrees
Andalucia Guru

Postby Bongtrees » Sat Feb 04, 2006 6:39 pm

To the group member who does offer to insure UK plated vehicles in Spain would they answer the question.

Does Ibex insure UK registered vehicles that do not have current/valid road tax or MOT and more to the point do they pay out in the event of a claim?

Take a new identity if you want.

Mike