driving english reg. vehicle in spain

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sat Feb 04, 2006 7:16 pm

Bongtrees, from the FAQ on their web site it would appear not. You can see that they suggest (although do not specifically state) that a Spanish ITV will validate the insurance cover which is most definitely NOT the case:

http://www.ibexinsure.com/motor/faq.asp#link1

It would certainly be interesting to hear from someone who is associated with them.

It may also be interesting to read andalucia.com's take on the subject:

http://www.andalucia.com/living/vehicle ... plates.htm

Especially paragraphs two, three and four!

meseta
Andalucia.com Amigo

answers

Postby meseta » Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:55 pm

Gentlemen/Ladies,
I would be more than happy to put your questions to the IBEX Head office and I agree that there appears to be a need to have some straightforward guidance/ruling on this matter.

I have taken a few quotations from this discussion and will lt you know.

chrisuk
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby chrisuk » Sun Feb 05, 2006 7:53 am

The insurance industry in Spain is unique to mmm Spain, what they do in the UK they dont do elsewhere, Cop cars in the UK are now fitted with very lavish computer systems that can read a number plate and check it against the insurance database in under 3 seconds, they turn around and nab you, same goes for MOTs and road tax, you dare not drive in the UK without all the correct documents in place.

Now if you go and live in South Africa you dont need any insurance at all but will need it if buying a car on HP as the finance house will make it a requirement, over there if have a smash you sort it out between each other, be it in court or an agreement, third party for injuries is covered by a levey on each liter of fuel sold, I never had insurance in SA, be it on bikes or cars but I will always do as the law requires no matter where I go and live, sadly though insurance cover is not worth the paper its written on by many a insurance company, thier interest is in themselves and shareholders making money out of a law that should not allow shareholders in any form, seeing that it is a requirement by law I also believe it should be regualted just like the railways, the airlines and many other public services are ,what makes them so special, its the law and so we should fall in line with it, apart from that it creates a circle of business and aids to the economy

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:24 am

At a stroke - we now are all viewing other GB reg cars with suspicion, checking them on the DVLA site, equipping the Guardia with favourite links, getting insurance companies to check issues and so on. It is hard enough making a go of living here financially and paper chase wise without expats giving the authorities a helping hand.

I for one escaped over regulated Britain for the nice relaxed atmosphere of Spain. Could you imagine how many inspectors and police raids there would be in Britain on "Matanzas" for example!

Don't get me wrong. I am a law abiding citizen like most others on the forum. Let the authorities crack down on ALL uninsured drivers etc as they surely will in their own good time - be it prompted by a Brussels directive or themselves.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:54 am

I think most of us, whilst in the process of making our living, are anxious not to be innocent victim of an uninsured driver whether he/she is a Spanish national or foreigner and whether it is by oversight or design and I have no qualms about assisting the authorities in catching them whenever I can.

chikitita
Tourist

Postby chikitita » Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:24 pm

hiya
we have just purchased a truimph herald, vitesse convertible 1967!!!!! now that has papers and ITV and insurance etc.... and we are thinking of putting it on spanish plates, how does the process go RE matriculacion? never had to do it before, it is right hand drivre but that doesnt make a difference does it?
any advice would be appreciated :D

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:47 pm

No, I shan't be trawling web sites looking to shop my compatriots, I find the whole matter distastful. Anyway, I find it difficult enough to remember my own reg let alone anyone elses. Most become legal eventually, the typical uk reg seems to be owned by a pensioner couple who drive down to the local every day for a coffee and a brandy and living on a shoestring. they probably don't know the regulations and don't use the internet either. Friendly advice would be better than shopping them to the guardia civil who seem to have a lot on their plate at the moment with drug crime particularly having to police the schools to stop frequent drug selling.

Agree its not good to have uninsured cars driving around but the seventy odd thousand spanish cars doesn't help either. A guy who does odd jobs at my house was stopped last week, he seems to be struggling and his old car (spanish) isn't tested, they pointed out that he isn't covered and he was honest and said he hadn't had it tested because he knew it wouldn't pass and he didn't have the money to put it right. outcome..they told him to put it in and then he can drive around with two months grace to put it right when hopefully he would be able to get the money together..and then they let him go. A bit of spanish tolerance there

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sun Feb 05, 2006 4:50 pm

If you take a vehicle for an ITV test there is the possibility of four results:

Pass.

Pass with minor defect that should be put right as soon as possible.

Failure with defects that if corrected within a month can be retested free of charge.

Major failure resulting in vehicle having to be collected from ITV station on a trailer and taken for repair.

It is the third scenario which causes the most confusion. If you have this type of failure it doesn't mean that you can drive around for with the defect then have it repaired just in time for the retest.

You must take steps to effect the repair immediately and provided that you can get it done within two months you can take the vehicle back for a retest without incurring a further fee. If it goes over period you have to pay the full fee again.

The advice given to the man in Katy's example is flawed in that:

a: The vehicle may experience a major failure
b: It is not a period of grace

If the typical UK registered vehicle is as Katy suggests not only do we have to worry about them being uninsured we also have to be concerned that they may be driving home half cut.

Most people in this category will not listen to advice. They form part of the expat bar-room barrister brigade who think they know better than anyone else and they don't deserve sympathy just because they don't have the funds to enable them to pay their way and comply with the law.

Another major source of UK registered vehicles is clapped out old pick-up trucks and Transit vans loaded to the gunnels with wheelbarrows, cement mixers and other sundry builder's items obviously owned by some jack-the-lad unregistered labourer masquerading as a building contractor.

chrisuk
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby chrisuk » Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:37 am

Beachcomber wrote:Another major source of UK registered vehicles is clapped out old pick-up trucks and Transit vans loaded to the gunnels with wheelbarrows, cement mixers and other sundry builder's items
I hope you dont think of me that way in a clapped out old transit, I'll be most up set as it cost a small fortune and its the new shape, oh yes it is white, best colour for keeping cool and for insurance purposes, Im not a fan of aircons, ok on long trips but I dont like cold, Im getting away from it, anyone want some from here, not sure if it will last though

spanish hopes

Postby spanish hopes » Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:39 am

I dont like cold, Im getting away from it, anyone want some from here,
Will you have any room left chris with all the things you are already bringing?

chrisuk
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby chrisuk » Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:20 pm

Sold my much loved and already missed motorbike so there is now alot of space, either it get filled up or the dogs will think they've escaped into the wilderness in the van, they already have alot of space dedicated to them so there isnt a problem.

PM me if you like, Im now considering buying things to bring over but I dont think there is going to be much one cant get in Spain apart from lead flashing, you know you'll kick yourselves when I've left, what about electric shower units, seen those awfully nice 4 way shower nozzle setups, looks like heaven if you have enough water, what about book shelf english speakers, for home or ideal for pub use, just ideas, send them along

kevin77
Resident

Postby kevin77 » Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:03 am

what about electric shower units
Yes bring a load of these please Chris, those 12kw Redring showers should sell well, especially in the campo! Can you bring some generators as well? :lol:

Big Col

Postby Big Col » Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:12 pm

I took our uk reg Freelander to spain, my wife then had the car registered in spain.A local garage done all the paperwork had the car ITVed received all the paperwork including proof of importation,tax paid supply and fitting of plates. The price inc taxes all the paperwork etc was 1320 euro

Been on the link on this posting and it shows that it hasnt been exported and sorn is not due !!
ps
My wife received the original uk log book back with the spanish log book !!

does this mean that if i brought back the car to the uk, i could if i wanted to, simply put back on the uk plates mot and tax the car them im of again?

Big Col

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:44 pm

its not been registered as exported because the spanish company dont do that for you, you have to do that yourself and should of done before you left.

they import a vehicle on its chassis number.

you can try and do that if you want to take it back, indeed. but with the new computerised system in the uk, if it is linked to europe (i dont know if it is or not?) then it´ll show up as registed in spain.

if its not linked, then you can keep it registered in both countries if you wish.. but remember to do so legally the vehicle will have to be taxed, mot´d and insured in both countries.

to rectify the situation, now that the vehicle is registered in spain, send the logbook to the dvla with the "vehicle exported or crushed " box ticked. (you can also claim back any road tax remaining on it, along with insurance if you paid it in one lump rather than direct debit.
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

Big Col

cars in spain

Postby Big Col » Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:34 am

That be it then Spanish Lad !

I will be sending the log book off then, hope i wont have to pay export duty, if so maybe leave it as it is.

I have to find out.

all the best

Big Col

Bongtrees
Andalucia Guru

Re: answers

Postby Bongtrees » Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:24 pm

meseta wrote:Gentlemen/Ladies,
I would be more than happy to put your questions to the IBEX Head office and I agree that there appears to be a need to have some straightforward guidance/ruling on this matter.

I have taken a few quotations from this discussion and will lt you know.
Meseta

did you get a reply?

Mike

meseta
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby meseta » Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:02 pm

When I know, you will know.

meseta
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby meseta » Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:05 pm

.....oh and thanks for your permission on the new identity by the way................

Is that like witness protection or similar ? I'm sure it won't be necessary.

meseta
Andalucia.com Amigo

IBEX response

Postby meseta » Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:41 am

Hi Bongtrees et al !

"I contacted Ibex and they pointed out to me that they are coverholders for Lloyd's of London. Refer to www.lloyds.com, that is they represent major syndicates at Lloyd's.

When you insure with Ibex you insure with Lloyd's in the UK.You have complete financial security.
In the very unlikely event that an Ibex policyholder has a complaint which Ibex cannot resolve the matter may be referred to Lloyd's,then the UK Ombudsman.A final resort would be a UK court.

Check out their website:www.ibexinsure.com"

I refer you to the last suggestion, and hope this helps.

The messenger is not available for shooting, by the way.....

chrisuk
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby chrisuk » Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:18 am

When removing a car or any road going registered means of wheels, including quad bikes you need to fill in the export slip on the V5C form and post it to DVLA, if you dont then the process takes alot longer