Suggestions for driving route, Cordoba to Porto

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
paulhenrylow

Suggestions for driving route, Cordoba to Porto

Postby paulhenrylow » Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:09 am

Hi. We are in Andalusia in May. We have a hire car and will visit towns between Arcos and Ronda and onwards to Cordoba. We then want to drive Cordoba - Porto in 3 days. Can anyone suggest a good itinerary for this route? What would be the most interesting towns for an overnight stop? Because of time and distance I think we have to miss Lisbon. Cheers from Paul

andalucia
Site Admin

Re: Suggestions for driving route, Cordoba to Porto

Postby andalucia » Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:57 pm

Cordoba to Porto in three days is fine. Only the first portion of it is in Andalucia. A fundamental decision is if to go direct or cross country on the N-432 to Zafra and later Badajoz, or to go via Sevilla (passing Ecija and Carmona) and up the Ruta de la Plata.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:52 pm

A lot depends on what you want to see.

We like old buildings, ruins and history. The parador at Zara is a nice place to stay. The conquistador towns in extremadura are nice. Evora is ful of Roman ruins. Rio Douro valley is scenic.

I would do a search on main tourist attractions in the areas you could pass through and make a route to encompass them

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:39 am

That should have read Zafra. Ruddy predictive text.

paulhenrylow

Postby paulhenrylow » Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:06 am

Thank you for your help. It looks like we will go via Zafra and Badajoz. I know this is an Andalusian forum but if anyone has any suggestions for a scenic drive from Badajoz to Porto within Portugal I would appreciate it. I think after the attractions of Andalusia we will appreciate some natural scenery and rustic charm. Cheers from Paul

fincalospinos
Resident

Postby fincalospinos » Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:42 am

Badajoz - Castelo Branco - Vila Nova de Foz Coa - Sao Joao da Pesquiera - Then follow River Duero down to Porto.

Allow at least one overnight stop between Vila Nova and Porto ( if only to visit one of the port bodegas !! )
Hardworking resident !!