New Computer

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
alicia
Andalucia.com Amigo

New Computer

Postby alicia » Sat May 07, 2016 5:35 pm

I´m going to buy a new computer. I was going to buy it in UK but wonder if it would be OK to use here in Spain. Would it makes any difference if I bought it in UK or would it be better if I bought it here in Spain.

Any advice would be gratefully acknowledged. Obviously, the reasons for buying it in UK are that it would be significantly cheaper. But the thing I need to know is, would the blinking thing work here in Spain.....!!!!!!!!

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Re: New Computer

Postby patricia » Sat May 07, 2016 5:41 pm

Yes it would work, it only needs electricity to keep it going! I bought my laptop in the UK and it works fine. However that said why did you not post in the computer, technology threads! you will get a lot more answers from more experienced people than myself.
Torrox Costa "El mejor clima de Europa"

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sat May 07, 2016 5:46 pm

Hi Alicia,
No problem using UK bought Laptop in Spain ,will come with UK plug. Main thing will have English version of OS.
Nicely spotted Patrica...... I'm on phone at moment and missed that .
Mods will move thread.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat May 07, 2016 6:05 pm

If you buy in Spain it will probably have a Spanish keyboard. If you buy in the UK make sure that it has an international warranty valid in Spain.

Computers are not necessarily more expensive in Spain than in the UK

Sid

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sat May 07, 2016 6:21 pm

When you say a new computer do you mean a desktop PC, laptop or tablet and which OS will it use, Windows, Mac, Linux or Android?
If you buy in Spain with Spanish installed it is usually easy to change the language.
If you buy in the UK and it doesn't have an international warranty do you really want to take it back to the UK for repair?
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sat May 07, 2016 6:28 pm

It makes no difference where you buy your PC/ Tablet, the same as it makes no difference where you place your question. I think Patricia is being very petty. When someone comes online and clicks quick links and then new posts they get all the latest posts whichever room they were posted in.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat May 07, 2016 7:12 pm

On that basis we don't really need any sub Forums!

Patricia was quite right to point out that it should be in the correct forum and it was also reported by other members so I have now moved it.

Sid

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Sat May 07, 2016 8:01 pm

costakid wrote:It makes no difference where you buy your PC/ Tablet, the same as it makes no difference where you place your question. I think Patricia is being very petty. When someone comes online and clicks quick links and then new posts they get all the latest posts whichever room they were posted in.
I was not being petty at all. I was trying to be helpful so that she would get some knowledgeable replies. Of course it is a question which will generate more knowledgeable replies placed under the correct title etc.

dxf
Resident

Postby dxf » Sat May 07, 2016 9:31 pm

Hola

My advice is to buy in El Corte Ingles as the guarantee is usually better and they don't deal in "seconds". Also as it will come with Windows 10 then install your preferred language and there's no difference. I always add a theoretical English keyboard so I can easily get a £ sign anytime I want.

Further, unless you are into CAD/CAM, online gaming or heavily into photoshop etc to change photos, then any computer will be OK for you - they don't make one slow enough for you to notice.

Davexf

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sat May 07, 2016 10:12 pm

Have you looked at Apple? iMac or Macbook Pro are excellent.

Unicorn
Resident

Postby Unicorn » Sat May 07, 2016 10:27 pm

I bought a reconditioned Asus N2830 laptop on pccomponentes.es for about 230 Euros. Delivered promptly. It had 8.1 and I upgraded to Windows 10. I'm happy as a clam with it. When I upgraded I put it into English and it has English and Spanish keyboard option.
Hope that helps

Cheers :wave: :wave:

alicia
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby alicia » Sun May 08, 2016 9:04 am

Hi

Thank you all for the very helpful replies and comments. Thank you also Patricia for redirecting me to the "Computer" section. I hadn´t realised there was a specific thread for such things and as such I normlly just post to the "Living In Andalucia" part. I am thinking about maybe getting to a desktop not a laptop, though nothing definite as yet, as I would like Windows 10. I know Sid mentioned that there is not a great deal of difference between prices in UK and Spain but the Desktop I have seen in UK comes with keyboard and mouse whereas the same model in Spain doesn´t. Obviously not a deal breaker of course, and I´m really only at the thinking stage at the moment. Hence why I was asking for kind advice and thoughts of others.

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Sun May 08, 2016 9:37 am

I have to say although I have a laptop I still love my tower computer and use it all the time. I only use the laptop if I go away and take it with me or my computer has to go in and have a service.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun May 08, 2016 10:24 am

I'm guessing that's because you like a bigger screen and a better keyboard and I would agree with that. My Windows PC is actually a redundant 13" laptop connected to a 24" screen with a wireless mouse and keyboard. The laptop is hidden behind the keyboard on the pull out keyboard shelf so all you see is the screen and mouse.

It works fine and looks nice and tidy.

Sid

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Sun May 08, 2016 10:36 am

No not just the bigger screen, but that does comes into it. When I have used the laptop I have used a keyboard - cannot stand using the keyboard on a laptop make so many mistakes! - I like having the keyboard and it sits nicely on the computer desk, also I take my iplayer from the software I have installed on my computer and I then stream it using a cable to the TV which I could not do from my laptop. No I like a tower; keyboard and as you have said a nice large screen which I can pull nearer to me (without using specs) with a laptop that is not possible because you have the keyboard in the way. No computers forever for me. Tablets, laptops only at a push when all else fails.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun May 08, 2016 12:46 pm

El Cid wrote:I'm guessing that's because you like a bigger screen and a better keyboard and I would agree with that. My Windows PC is actually a redundant 13" laptop connected to a 24" screen with a wireless mouse and keyboard. The laptop is hidden behind the keyboard on the pull out keyboard shelf so all you see is the screen and mouse.

It works fine and looks nice and tidy.

Sid
Similar set up for me too and I have very good speakers as well so I can listen to music through the computer. My little HP Note (or is it net) book has an 11" screen and 90% full size keyboard and is pretty good, but like Patricia, it is really only for when I'm travelling. I have poor eyesight so I like my big 24" TV screen so I don't need reading glasses to see it!

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Sun May 08, 2016 12:49 pm

Yes and the speakers of course. I can hardly hear a thing on the laptop.