Can I post a picture on here?

This section is designed to let the Andalucia.com community know about any improvements or alterations to the forums and to post questions and comments about the forums themselves.
Busymum
Resident

Can I post a picture on here?

Postby Busymum » Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:44 pm

I wonder if I can post a picture on here? If so how do I do it please? The reason being I found a snake on the patio wall ... we live on Mijas Golf and would like to work out if it is dangerous or not as I have a young son and a kitten! I have tried to look at a website mentioned in a previous post but can't find any pictures that look like it. It is small, greyish with black diamonds on its back .... for a very small thing it had a big effect on me! I am sure it is something I will need to get used to but I would like to know which ones are 'bad news'!

Thanks!
Steph

costachick
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby costachick » Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:50 pm

Image[/img]

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:53 pm

Here's the official reply! It basically means it needs to be another site already to link to it.

Images can indeed be shown in your posts. However, there is no facility at present for uploading images directly to this board. Therefore you must link to an image stored on a publicly accessible web server, e.g. http://www.some-unknown-place.net/my-picture.gif. You cannot link to pictures stored on your own PC (unless it is a publicly accessible server) nor to images stored behind authentication mechanisms such as Hotmail or Yahoo mailboxes, password-protected sites, etc. To display the image use either the BBCode [img] tag or appropriate HTML (if allowed).
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

Grouser
Resident

Postby Grouser » Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:54 pm

Sounds like a viper. For more info on Spanish Snakes go to www.iberianature.com/material/spanishsnakes.html
Grouser

costachick
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby costachick » Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:55 pm

That's last weeks rain..

Well if I can do it anyone can..lol..

First of all you need to upload the photo onto a photo place, I use photobucket www.photobucket.com, you'll need to resize the pic before you put it on there.
When it's on there you'll see a small pic of it with three things underneath.
URL
TAG
IMG.

To post the pic on here copy and paste the img addy on here.
If that means nothing to you let me know.

Busymum
Resident

Postby Busymum » Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:19 pm

Hi!

Thanks! I'll have a go and try to post a picture .... watch this space, anything could happen!!!

Steph

P.A.D.
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby P.A.D. » Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:46 am

Hi all,

I've been wondering how to do that as well, I am about to have a practice go, so PLEASE ignore me if I get it wrong (AGAIN!!)

Image[/img]

P.A.D.
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby P.A.D. » Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:00 am

Thats really good, but why has it gone onto the forum SO BIG????

HELP?!!!

P.A.D.
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby P.A.D. » Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:06 am

well I went back on to photo bucket and altered (successfully I think) the size of the pic to 25% of its original size,but when I tried to post it again, it still comes out MASSIVE. What am I doing wrong please?

Thanks

P.A.D.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:30 am

You photograph has actually come out small on my computer.

You need to resample the image to the size you want before uploading it. You may have only changed the zoom level.

Also check the resolution. Ideally it should be 72 dpi.

Also be careful of the photo description and your Photobucket account name as its source will show up under properties and may give away more information than you intend.

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:55 am

How long was it! sounds like a young Ladder snake to me. They are a non-venomous snake they kill their prey by constriction. Snakes in general are more frightened of you than you are of them and will usually move off as soon as they know a human is around. I have fished dozens out of the swimming pool venomous and non venomous. The shot off without saying goodbye :lol:

pigs-might-fly
Andalucia Guru

Postby pigs-might-fly » Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:03 am

For posting photos on normal web pages or, indeed, sending by Email you should as a courtesy re-size them!
A simple photo editing program such as Irfanview (FREE - Google for it!) will let you perform simple tasks
Google themselves have a pretty comprehensive free photo organising program (PICASA).
I suggest, repeating advice given to me long ago, that you make the larger of the two photo dimensions no more than 450 pixels.
This gives a good compromise between picture quality and download or display speed and is a boon to those of us still on dial-up
:D

Busymum
Resident

Postby Busymum » Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:21 am

Sorry pigs-might-fly! :oops:

I know my picture was big, it was a first effort at posting a picture I am just pleased I managed it. I will try harder in the future as I understand the problems that occur trying to download info with dial up. Please accept my apologies .... I am just a learner, a multi tasking, busy learner who was quaking in her sandals in fear of a snake! I might ditch the sandals now though if there are snakes and scorpions around!!!! :lol:

pigs-might-fly
Andalucia Guru

Postby pigs-might-fly » Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:39 pm

Good Heavens, BUSYMUM, I was not criticising at all! We all have to learn and I learned that tip when selling on eBay, where if a picture doesn't load reasonably quickly, prospective bidders just pass your offering by!
I can really recommend Irfanview as an easy to learn editor. I tried Photoshop and scrasmbled my brains trying to understand it.

Most ISPs asllocate a certain amount of web space for their subscribers. This is where you can upload, store & link to, your web pages or individual photos.
You need a program capable of handling the transfer (FTP transfer is the type to look for, such as Cute FTP )and there are several available. Most are not free though!
I suggest that you use Mozilla Firefox as an alternative and IMHO a better, alternative to Internet Explorer. It's FREE., and among the extensions or add-ons is a free FTP utility called "Fire FTP".
It may be that particular extension has not yet been updated to be compatible with the latest version of Firefox, though.
:D

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:21 am

pigs-might-fly wrote:For posting photos on normal web pages or, indeed, sending by Email you should as a courtesy re-size them!
Microsoft have a nice little "image resizer" utility which will reduce the size of pictures with about 3 clicks and still keep the original. It is part of the "Power Toys for XP" suite which you can download free at http://tinyurl.com/2meyw

Sid

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:41 pm

pigs might fly...jeeeeeeeeeezus what are you going on about all that for ? you are just gonna confuse the poor girl:D

1. open an account at photobucket, its free! (you´ve done that i think?)

2. click on "upload picture" on the photobucket page.

3. find the picture on your computer, double click on it, click on "submit".-

4. when its uploaded, copy the " Image

5. paste that [IMG] bit into a thread / reply on here.. and you are done :)

dunno why the other bloke was getting so "involved" :)
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

Nige
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Nige » Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:36 pm

I have often wondered why there is no forum for posting pics. Perhaps Andalucia.com could possibly allow a thread just for posting pictures ? Maybe sorted by Category?
Categories could be - for example :
1. Andalucia in bad weather
2. Andalucian naturist beaches
3. My favourite bar
4. My least favourite bar
5. Longest divot (with measure)
6. Best sun hat
etc

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:41 pm

Nige wrote:I have often wondered why there is no forum for posting pics.
2. Andalucian naturist beaches ...

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:00 am

beach.. have you seen "that" picture??? its called "too much sun?? i think ?? i´ll see if i can find it...
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

Alan-LaCala
Resident

Postby Alan-LaCala » Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:55 am

Going off at a (slight) tangent, is there any organisation which can host video clips?

Alan
Remember that everything that Fred Astaire did, Ginger Rogers did too; except she did it backwards and wearing high heels!