Pool grout problem

Looking for information or help in the field of DIY and home improvement. Post your questions, suggestions and comments here.
USINSPAIN
Resident

Re: Pool grout problem

Postby USINSPAIN » Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:16 pm

So use PH reducer only, no more chlorine I thought at 7.4 PH that is correct reading

I will get some reducer on Monday thanks for that

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:05 pm

I misread your post. I thought you said you were having trouble achieving a pH reading of 7,4. If you have 7,4 that's fine.

If you have dosed with a lot of chlorine make sure you have not overdosed. If there is too much chlorine it will bleach out the colour of the reagent. Try testing half tap water and half pool water mixture.
Let's go Brandon!

USINSPAIN
Resident

Postby USINSPAIN » Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:08 am

Tried half and half still not showing fizzes very red then very clear

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:40 am

That indicates that the chlorine level is very high, perhaps up to 10ppm. Try diluting the pool water sample even more. Just put about 25% pool water (or less) and top up with tap water.

Do not use the pool until you have resolved this. If it is that high It could result in chlorine poisoning.
Let's go Brandon!

USINSPAIN
Resident

Postby USINSPAIN » Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:36 am

Half litre pool water with 2 litre tap water reading on tester 2.0
Half litre pool water with 3ltre tap water reading 6.0
So you are correct thank you very much now how do I cure this problem ???

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:03 pm

It should be that the more tap water you use as a sample in relation to the pool water the lower the reading but your figures indicate the opposite.

Anyway, if you want to cure it immediately you will have to drain off some water from the pool and top it up in order to dilute the high concentration of chlorine but, in this case, you should take into consideration where the waste water from you pool goes.

If you can wait a day or two the level will come down of its own accord. I would not use the pool until you get a proper reading on the test kit without diluting the sample. Advice regarding maximum levels of chlorine varies but I would not want to swim in a pool where the reading was more than 5ppm.
Let's go Brandon!

USINSPAIN
Resident

Postby USINSPAIN » Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:39 pm

I am draining about a foot of water out now no problem with regards to where waste water is going then I will top up and check daily
Thanks very much for your advice

Torrox_campo
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Torrox_campo » Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:20 pm

I read somewhere that high chlorine content in pool will damage pipe work and especially the O ring in the pump filter. I'd try to dilute the chlorine level as low to the accepted level and as soon as possible. I think my rubber O ring in the pump's filter had been degraded by the high chlorine level, luckily I was able to get a replacement for the 10 year old pump after 1/2 day searching from Torrox costa to Torre del Mar.

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:29 pm

Tobaxa (not far from the old sugar factory, and roughly opposite the Police Station) in Torre del Mar stock virtually all spares for Astral filter, pump and pool control equipment. Just need your model number, or the old part. Prices very good, even for large chunks of pump casing.
Chris

Torrox_campo
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Torrox_campo » Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:28 am

Yes I think it was that shop where I bought the O ring (junta) for the Astral pump. It happened last spring about March, the O ring failed after I cleaned the leaves out of the filter basket. As the O ring degraded, it couldn't seal and the water was leaking at the filter cap. That day, with the pump's model number and the O ring, I drove along the costa road from Torrox costa to Torre del Mar, stopping at several pool and DIY shops eventually just before Caleta I was directed to this shop. I think the "junta" was about €10.

USINSPAIN
Resident

Postby USINSPAIN » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:17 am

I have been testing my pool every day since Saturday not added any chlorine taken tablets out of pool doing the test 50% pool water 50% tap water as soon as tablet hits the tester fizzes red then clear in seconds, is this saying chlorine is still high ???

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:40 am

Yes, You will need to wait until you get a reading on the test kit without diluting the test sample before using the pool.
Let's go Brandon!