Retaining wall movement

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
USINSPAIN
Resident

Retaining wall movement

Postby USINSPAIN » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:49 pm

Not sure where to put this post so tried here, I have retaining wall in my garden it's the walls they use on a hillside 3 metres up then 3 metres in, this wall holds in my garden which includes my swimming pool I have discovered part of the wall has moved out by about 6 inches. I have got building insurance and I assume most policies cover movement for certain faults but what is the definition of say land slip, subsidence, etc etc who do I contact first will it be the insurance company???

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Retaining wall movement

Postby costakid » Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:17 pm

PM Beachcomber if you get no sensible reply within 24 hours.

USINSPAIN
Resident

Postby USINSPAIN » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:40 am

Hello rang my insurance company today they said my problem was not covered under Spanish insurance cover unless it was caused by damp or neighbours having building work done they in the end said they would send a professional out to clarify it for me
Anyone had any of these problems in the past

ajtg1952
Resident

Postby ajtg1952 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:48 pm

I am a retired chartered Geotechnical Engineer. My working life was looking at retaining walls that had moved. If you put on a few pictures I may be able to comment. 3 m up and 3 m in doesn't tell me a lot!

USINSPAIN
Resident

Postby USINSPAIN » Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:36 pm

I have received a telephone call today from the insurance company informing me that my wall is not covered because it was not constructed correctly a crown has not been put on the wall when it was built ?????, they have sent me the report it is in Spanish.
What is the best way for me to find out if this is correct do I now contact a builder to see if the wall as been constructed incorrectly and if so why was this not identified in 2011 when the house was completed, or do I contact an architect and ask them if the wall has been constructed incorrectly, no good asking a lawyer as yet is there a department I could contact in the town hall or is that a waste of time.
Help on this matter would be appreciated thank you

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:57 pm

I don't know the answer, but I suggest you ask the insurers for an independent professional whose word they would accept, or at least the level of qualification that would be acceptable, otherwise you might find that the professional you select is rejected by the insurers...

In the UK it would be a Chartered Surveyor, but there isn't really an equivalent in Spain other than the architect. I do know that the RICS (Royal Institute of Xhartered Surveyors) have a connection with Spain http://www.rics.org/uk/about-rics/where ... ics-espana - they seem to be based in Madrid, but there is an email address & some phone numbers - it might be worth contacting them for advice ?

Good luck :thumbup:
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

USINSPAIN
Resident

Postby USINSPAIN » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:28 am

spoken with the insurance company to get there assessors name and company he does work for Linea Directa I can get an independent report from anyone who is a PARITO OFFICIAL where do I go to speak with a Parito, I could copy and paste the report from Linea Directa if that would be allowed it looks very basic not signed and nothing else
Thank you

jhonie99
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jhonie99 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:52 am

I presume you mean PERITO.

I wouldn't bother. the very fact that the wall has moved 6 inches, would imply it wasn't built correctly in the first place.

ajtg1952
Resident

Postby ajtg1952 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:20 pm

A wall moving 6 inches does not imply it was built incorrectly. It may imply it has designed incorrectly. But also loading parameters may have changed or even changes in moisture that were not predicted.

Retaining walls all move during their life. The pressure on the structure goes from "at rest" immediately after construction to "active" at some stage later. This change in loading is a result of forward movement.

When a retaining wall moves it does so because the overturning forces well exceed to resisting forces by about 25%. The wall moves and the overturning forces reduce while the resisting forces increase. In other words it trys to reestablish equilibrium. A wall can move dramatically then never move again. I would still like to see some photographs.