KFC

Looking for a good recipe for gazpacho soup, how to make a good tinto de verano, local exhibitions and where to hear good jazz? Post your query here to find out more.
firsttango
Andalucia Guru

KFC

Postby firsttango » Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:53 pm

Call me sad, call me whatever you feel, I can take the abuse :lol: but KFC has opened in El Ingenio, went Saturday Evening, first one in Ten Years oh heavens it was good, divine, delicious etc etc It hit all the right spots that my taste buds remembered

gus
Resident

Re: KFC

Postby gus » Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:30 pm

I know how you feel ;-)
My wife tends to deny me access to the likes of KFC and Greggs :-(
The best we had was on a tour of China with a couple of friends a few years back - part of the trip included an overnight (sleeper) train journey to Nanjing which arrived a little late for the planned breakfast at the hotel. The guides solution was to take us to KFC for breakfast. "Don't you dare tell my kids" was the instruction from our friend!
It was greeaaat :-)

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:00 pm

Now you're talking my kind of language lol, btw send you a pm. FYI It was truly delicious, everything I'd hoped it would be. Just to tempt you below.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:04 pm

I hope the ingredients are better than the UK. It tastes nice but you here horror stories about the chips and chicken manufacturing process.

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:07 pm

costakid wrote:I hope the ingredients are better than the UK. It tastes nice but you here horror stories about the chips and chicken manufacturing process.
I'll live dangerously and bury my head in the sand....no, make that a "family bucket"

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:00 pm

who dares wins!!!

gus
Resident

Postby gus » Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:27 pm

My son and 14 year old grandson are particularly enamoured of the gravy ( a new addition to the menu as far as I am concerned).
He describes it with a lot of lip smacking as "the scrapings from the pans that the chicken is fried in" minus the cooking oils of course ;-)

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:30 pm

Put me down for a tub of that...not sure but I think they call it kwebeen or something similar.

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:51 pm

I'm a bit partial to KFC normally saving it for a treat when we go back to the UK. But yesterday I thought that I'd give this new KFC a shot while on the way to the airport. I've been to KFCs all over the world and love their 'local' specials. Curry chicken in New Dehli, really really hot wings in Bangkok. Can't be doing with the buns in the US tho'

It was awful, dry, overcooked and pretty close to inedible.... Brings back memories of the one that used to be at Plaza Major, also rubbish and no surprise it shut down. Almost threw it in the bin, but I was hungry and like I said on the way to airport. I ate the least bad two pieces and threw the rest away.

I'll give this new place a couple of months then try again. Either they will have got the hang of cooking and serving KFC or i'll be closed down through lack of custom. Actually it was pretty quiet yesterday and Burger King was doing a storm... Is there a clue there?
Regards

Bob

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:07 pm

I'm sorry that you didn't enjoy, our's as I said it totally lived up to all expectations. But agree with you that the one at Plaza Mayor was horrendous. I found the El Ingenio on par with my memories of Exeter South St and King St Hammersmith. Also on my visit it was packed and yes Burger King was busy also ...they were heavily promoting 12 chicken nuggets for €1.90...there's your clue.
Also I think they have free WiFi

pthomas
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby pthomas » Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:48 pm

Well I was impressed, devoured 2 pieces fries and pepsi with extra kwebeen ...lovely

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:07 pm

Oh .... you are being serious ...... you actually like the stuff? Perhaps the quality of the chicken has improved since I tried it when I was a teenager in the 1970s ( they did used to call it Kentucky Fried Rat locally). I can tolerate a BurgerKing as they are flame grilled and (discounting the mayo and funny plastic cheese) I feel the burger is relatively healthy, but I wouldn't have the fries or any of the drinks. I do seem to remember liking the flavour of the batter of the KFC though ..... is that still the same as you remember it first tango?

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:45 pm

I wouldn't dine out there regularly but was a treat after so long and yes its the chicken skin "rub" that is the tasty bit and yes tasted as remembered...the Colonels secret recipe. As to BurgerKing, I personally think it tastes and has the consistency of cardboard...probably more taste in the box it comes in.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:25 am

It's funny how strong the memory of taste is. On our yearly and brief visit to the UK we sometimes come across something that we haven't tried for years .... I think it was a packet of Skips last time ... they tasted how we remembered them but not sure we'd have them again :thumbdown: .

Depends on what burger you have from BurgerKing .... we find them quite tasty!

ebbnflow
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ebbnflow » Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:28 pm

"It was awful, dry, overcooked and pretty close to inedible."

This!

I'm personally not a fan of KFC but my wife and kids are, all agreed it was pretty nasty and easily the worst example from a member of the franchise. Adding to the quoted description above, the tiniest, scrawny chicken pieces covered in a ton of solid (tooth endangering) batter.

Most was also thrown in the bin.

:sick:

sujee
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby sujee » Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:06 am

When my kids bought KFC i would always try a bit but the chicken was slimy inside the batter. Fast food for me now is polo asada from the local restaurant comes with nice 'real chips' fried green peppers and a tasty salsa. :)

truebrit
Resident

Postby truebrit » Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:15 am

I hate the pollo asada here. It is dry and they pour that horrible oily sauce all over it. Fresh chicken €1.99 per Kilo(centimos for cooking). Cook your own every time. As for the original post. Never liked KFC but cooked Jamie Oliver's version which involved infusing the chicken in milk for a few hours. It was succulent and delicious.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:25 am

Had an unexpected sudden pang for KFC a while back, and drove all the way to Mijas (Myramar Centre) to satisfy it. It was awful, greasy and sickly :sick:
Never felt the urge since.
MacDonalds have just reopened their outlet in Torremolinos town centre after being closed for the last five years. It's labelled McCafe, and apparently has table service of some sort. Won't be rushing to try it out. American style foodtrucks filling the Plaza Nogalera this weekend if anyone fancies fast food; live music on offer to. :thumbup:
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

MartinEB
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby MartinEB » Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:58 am

gus wrote:My son and 14 year old grandson are particularly enamoured of the gravy
Have they seen the youtube video on how the gravy is made? Yuck:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRvyNuFGcHA

gus
Resident

Postby gus » Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:05 am

Thanks Martin, that's just as he described it \-)