Breakdown cover

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
Pete'nKim
Andalucia.com Amigo

Breakdown cover

Postby Pete'nKim » Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:17 pm

Hi Folks

I was reading a post the other day, which mentioned a German based breakdown company and now of course can't find it. The poster said that they are reliable and although the web site only recognises german postcodes, gave a direct phone number to cal.
Can anyone direct me please or post the phone number?

Thanks
Pete
Remember - Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you!

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Re: Breakdown cover

Postby Enrique » Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:46 pm

Hi P n K,

This post..................

http://andalucia.com/forums/viewtopic.p ... down+cover

See detoure's post ref: ADAC
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Pete'nKim
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Pete'nKim » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:51 pm

Thanks Enrique

Does anyone use ADAC for cover as a spanish resident?
Remember - Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you!

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:35 pm

Car insurance in spain normally has breakdown included

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:48 pm

As elusive said, Spanish car insurance normally includes breakdown cover, unless you ask them to exclude it.
Why do you want separate breakdown cover?
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

ebbnflow
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ebbnflow » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:15 pm

X3 as to elusive & gerryh comments.

I just recently had to use mine, with Verti. Quite faultless, a grua and taxi were sent and quoted to reach me in 45 minutes, they actually arrived in a snadge over 20 minutes!

As it was a Sunday, my car was stored in safe lot over night and taken to my nominated garage the next morning.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:34 am

Just a note to the DiY brigade who might 'call a mate' that it is illegal to flat tow a vehicle in Spain, hence all the gruas.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Pete'nKim
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Pete'nKim » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:22 am

Thanks Folks
That's useful as I was looking to get cover for our travel over and thought about extending it for the first year but if it comes with car ins, I'll just get on that as soon as we're settled. My own ins cover will work until the renewal in March and I can add some breakdown for the trip.
Need to nurse a 15 yr old BMW across France and through Spain in Feb so definitely need it for the trip.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:50 pm

Am I right I thinking that car insurance in Spain is much cheaper in Spain than the UK?
I pay about 325 a year fully comp with 250 excess. However, the last two years they have also waivered it for the first accident and also now includes a courtesy car as well if needed and and of course recovery.
The car is now three years old but the fees have been more or less the same since it was new.
I too needed the breakdown service when the car was only a couple of weeks old as I let the battery go flat and they came to my home, which doesn't form part of the the basic service with UK recovery services either .

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:09 pm

I guess it depends on the individual. uk always talks about how expensive car insurance is but i always found cheap insurance. i guess breakdown been included makes spanish insurance seem cheaper but i also see huge variations in quotes. some double the price of others. we pay just over 300 euros. i paid 220 pounds in the uk with an excess of no more than £100 sometimes 0 and about 60 for breakdown

MartinEB
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby MartinEB » Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:33 am

What is courtesy car in Spanish? Having trouble getting the garage to understand!

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:54 am

"Coche de courtesía" A failure to understand could well mean that they have not got one.....a standard trick when a Spaniard does not want to do something but stops short of saying no.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

MartinEB
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby MartinEB » Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:07 am

Thank you - I think you hit the nail on the head :thumbup:

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:51 am

Just to add to this bumped topic. Breakdown comes included but in alot of cases its just the basic tow you to the nearest garage. thats ok if you only use your car to travel locally but if you are travelling around alot you may need to upgrade to one where they will make sure the car is towed home