Mobiles

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Mobiles

Postby Lyric » Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:45 pm

Much on the UK media today about a proposed increase in the penalties for driving while using a mobile. While we all know that this is illegal in Spain too what is the penalty here ?

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Re: Mobiles

Postby peteroldracer » Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:47 pm

I cannot vouch for the accuracy but found the following joke on the web:

Putting on make-up, eating or setting a GPS while driving: 100 euro fine
Using a mobile phone: 200 euro fine and 3 points off your licence
Driving with your elbow out of the window: 100 euro fine
Driving barechested or barefoot: 200 euro fine
Driving on the inside or middle lane of a motorway when the outside lane is free: 200 euro fine
Needlessly sounding your horn: 80 euro fine (the horn should only be used to avoid an accident)
Having a "For sale" or "Se vende" sign on the window: 200 euro fine
Listening to excessively loud music: 80 euro fine
Driving barechested or barefoot: 200 euro fine
Out-of-date driving licence or no MOT certificate: 200 euro fine
Going through an amber traffic light: 80 euro fine (this is only permitted when it is impossible to brake)
Not having a spare of glasses if you need glasses for driving: 90 euro fine

I should point out that the list is serious, the joke is that almost all of them seem mandatory ways to drive!
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:13 pm

300 but 50% discount if you pay on the spot.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:53 pm

No, it is classed as a serious offence and the fine is €200

Article 67 Sanctions

1. Minor offences will be punished by a fine of up to 100 euros; serious with a fine of 200 euros; and very serious with a fine of 500 euros. However, the offence of not respecting the speed limits is penalized by the amount specified in Annex IV of this Act.

Sid

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:43 am

I have been fined 100 on the spot for no belt and 150 on the spot for speeding on a motorway. All with proper receipt from Guardia.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:51 am

Speeding fines are different as they are on a sliding scale based on the speed. They start at €100 and then go to €300, €400, €500 and €600.

A €300 fine would be for driving at between 151kph and 170kph. That would be reduced to €150 for prompt payment.It would also carry a penalty of 2 points.

Sid

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:06 am

I was actually doing 114 kph on cruise control in a 120 limit on the motorway going towards Granada. What i didn’t realise was it was reduced to 80 because of roadworks just after some bends. The police were sitting at the top of the slip road in an unmarked Renault and radioed ahead to a marked car. They were quite sympathetic but still knicked me. 300 fine halved for on the spot payment.
Last edited by costakid on Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:10 am

peteroldracer wrote:
.....or no MOT certificate: 200 euro fine

On Tuesday night at the airport there was police roadblock and they were only stopping foreign plated vehicles, they pulled 4 Uk plates while I was watching. 3 of them were on Sorn, and one without mot, therefore no insurance.

They knew immediately, and towed all of them away.

I was translating for the one with no mot, and he insisted that he had one.. only it didn't show on the dvla database. They towed it and fined him 500e for "circulating without itv"
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:48 am

https://vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/ViewVehicle

They were using a different version of this, that was all in Spanish.
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:21 pm

Good :thumbup: :D

bbobandannie
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby bbobandannie » Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:34 pm

Deserve what they get. I'm still on UK plates but the car is "fully legal in the country of registration" i.e taxed, insured and MOT'd. As an invited military individual I have a covering note from the Spanish MOD to enable me to get past the 6 months in country issue but, when my posting is over, and I retire in country, I will have to either matriculate the car ( costly) or take it home to sell it. Them are the rules and the folk that think they can flaunt them are idiots.

gus-lopez
Resident

Postby gus-lopez » Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:17 pm

spanish_lad wrote:
peteroldracer wrote:
.....or no MOT certificate: 200 euro fine

On Tuesday night at the airport there was police roadblock and they were only stopping foreign plated vehicles, they pulled 4 Uk plates while I was watching. 3 of them were on Sorn, and one without mot, therefore no insurance.

They knew immediately, and towed all of them away.

I was translating for the one with no mot, and he insisted that he had one.. only it didn't show on the dvla database. They towed it and fined him 500e for "circulating without itv"

You are always insured, You cannot have " no insurance" even before the EU the law was & still is that regardless of what you get up to, no tax,mot, licence, whatever, the insurance must always cover 3rd parties. You won't get yours repaired & these days they'll probably sue you for the amount that they would have had to pay for third party repairs but you are always insured,
Todos somos Lorca.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:28 pm

"you are always insured"
So all those people convicted of driving without a valid insurance can appeal...?
"Driving without insurance is a serious offence which can result in an immediate disqualification from driving. A driving ban can often be in the region of 28 days but can also be substantially longer for repeat offences. For first offences, the Court would normally impose between 6 and 8 penalty points, but no ban."
More cojones I fear!
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

scotty
Resident

Postby scotty » Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:21 am

peteroldracer wrote:"you are always insured"
So all those people convicted of driving without a valid insurance can appeal...?
In Ireland we have the Motor Insurance Bureau. In the event that you are hit by an uninsured driver then you can claim for "personal injuries" but not damage to your vehicle.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:05 pm

In Spain there is the "Consorcio". Every insurance policy pays a small percentage of the premium into a central fund. If you are insured, but certain risks are excluded such as flooding, the Consorcio covers you. With car insurance, if you are involved in an accident with an uninsured driver, then your damages will be paid by the Consorcio. It covers personal injury and damage to your vehicle.

Expanding on Gus-lopez's post, not having an ITV/MOT cannot invalidate your insurance with regard to third parties. The same applies if you lied or witheld important facts on your application. The insurer can cancel your policy if they find out, but they cannot use it as an excuse to retrospectively avoid a valid claim by a third party.

Sid

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:32 am

If, whilst smoking in your car with the window down, left hand out of the window, you accidentally set fire to your shirt sleeve, can you be fined for having an illegal firearm??