An Observation

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
Lyric
Andalucia Guru

An Observation

Postby Lyric » Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:25 pm

Two cars from my immediate area, one Swedish registered and one German registered, both here a long time, years rather than months, have very recently changed to Spanish plates.
Things afoot, or ten inches anyway.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Re: An Observation

Postby costakid » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:23 pm

maybe they feel the time is right or are you suggesting the old bill are clamping down.

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:50 pm

The latter, certainly the Swede had no intention, we have spoken on the subject when he noticed my re-matriculated RHD.
I have heard of many local Brits being given a month do do it, but never a European. They seem to be spotting long term cars and giving them a nudge, 'bout time.

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:58 am

Yes, about time! If the police here had the same "eye" for being able to spot British scalliwags that we do, they could have a field day. Wish there were a simple and trouble-free means to report local residents for this kind of persistent illegality.

I see that UK police are now having a blitz on uninsured vehicles, based on mobile ANPR kit in patrol cars. Often wonder why Spanish overhead ANPR speed cameras aren't used for the same purpose.
Chris

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:29 am

British police have been using ANPR for years. If you want to grass someone up to the Police in Spain you can but you have be prepared to give your details also. I say live and let live. As long as your happy with the way you live your life does it matter.

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:32 am

Yes.
If unregistered, quite probably uninsured and untested too. Not to mention the loss of tax revenue (how else...).
Yes, it does matter.
Chris

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:57 am

Certainly matters to me if an uninsured car crashes into me.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:44 pm

Obviously we would all be pi==ed off but Who said they weren’t insured? That what I love about the Brits, think the worse. They may be insured taxed and tested in the own Country. Hung drawn and quartered with no evidence.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:32 pm

The OP, Lyric, was talking about people who have been here a long time, they are not temporary visitors. So their vehicles cannot be legally "insured taxed and tested in the own Country" as they don't live in their own country.
Therefore, by default, they must be unregistered, untaxed, uninsured and untested in Spain.
Can you honestly say that you have not seen any UK registered vehicles here in Spain that you know have been here for years with a tax disc several years out of date?
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:02 pm

Well all tax discs are out of date because they are not used anymore. My argument is how does the OP know for sure that these people have not been back to the UK and mot tested there cars. I know the next thing you will say is they have been here over 6 months in 1 year.
All I was stating is that unless you live in the same street you can’t be sure if they are legal or not. I see a silver Mercedes ML in Benajarafe 8 or 9 times a year. He may be illegal but I don’t know for sure.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:12 pm

If you know the make and registration number check here:

https://vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/Default.aspx
Let's go Brandon!

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:56 pm

My argument is how does the OP know for sure that these people have not been back to the UK and mot tested there cars
They haven't been back to the UK to have their cars tested and taxed because one is Swedish and one is German. They live here and they pass my house nearly every day.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:07 am

Lyric, Are you a retired Police officer or traffic warden? If not you missed your way in life.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:45 am

I am (surprise surprise) with lyric all the way on this. If people are this irresponsible they are highly likely not to drive responsibly, not to stop and offer the (legally responsibly here) assistance to anyone involved in a crash, or to have any annual checks on their vehicles, all of which could affect you costakid should you be a victim.
This is apart from them not fulfilling any obligations to pay road fund taxes.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:36 pm

Quite so, and well said. For me, live and let live doesn't extend to letting anti-social, illegal and harmful behaviour by others go unremarked, even if it is difficult sometimes to do anything much about it on one's own.
Chris

gus
Resident

Postby gus » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:08 pm

I'm afraid Costakid doesn't seem to subscribe to the notion that for evil ( or nastiness or civil disobedience or anti-social behaviour ) to flourish, all that is required is for "good men" to do nothing.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:31 pm

While costakids version of how do you know if these people have everything in order before people start with accusations ( he's right about that) however i wouldn't condone people who have no insurance or ATV...its irresponsible to say the least..What bothers me further is the mad drivers who cut in all the time and have no respect for other people on the road...Spain is very bad for that..

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:37 pm

gus wrote:I'm afraid Costakid doesn't seem to subscribe to the notion that for evil ( or nastiness or civil disobedience or anti-social behaviour ) to flourish, all that is required is for "good men" to do nothing.

Thats a bit strong.
We are talking about a possible not even proven road traffic offence. Not exactly the fu==ing Yorkshire Ripper. You sad lot need to get a grip. I thought you were here to enjoy life not Police Spain. Another thing for a few euros in the right persons hand most things can be sorted here. I have been on the receiving end of someone buying off the local Police. Thats why now I just get on with my life.

Torrox_campo
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Torrox_campo » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:52 pm

costakid wrote:Obviously we would all be pi==ed off but Who said they weren’t insured? That what I love about the Brits, think the worse. They may be insured taxed and tested in the own Country. Hung drawn and quartered with no evidence.
+ 1 for costakid I believe in presumption of innocent until proven guilty :)

MartinEB
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby MartinEB » Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:16 am

Had a guy in our village a few years back driving around in a UK plated sports car with a photoshopped tax disk in the windscreen :oops: so he was quite obviously trying to fool people into thinking he was road legal :thumbdown: