Malaga airport car hire

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
Busymum
Resident

Malaga airport car hire

Postby Busymum » Sat Feb 11, 2006 7:03 pm

We have friends visiting soon but we can't all fit in our little car so my plan was to hire a car so we can go out in convoy. It seems cheaper to hire at the airport and drop off at the airport. My question is this, can I gain access to the car hire 'desks' at the airport if I am not coming through arrivals myself?

Thanks in advance!

Valencia_Paul
Resident

Postby Valencia_Paul » Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:04 pm

I think that the car-hire offices have a window and service desk on two sides, one on the arrivals side and one in the general airport area. At least they do at Alicante, I can't remember the setup at Malaga.

AguilaMike
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: Malaga airport car hire

Postby AguilaMike » Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:52 pm

Busymum wrote:We have friends visiting soon but we can't all fit in our little car so my plan was to hire a car so we can go out in convoy. It seems cheaper to hire at the airport and drop off at the airport. My question is this, can I gain access to the car hire 'desks' at the airport if I am not coming through arrivals myself?

Thanks in advance!

In my experience you can't unless you can show a boarding card. I rented a car recently that I found to be damaged when I got to it in the underground car park. To get back to the Record Car Rental desk to report it, I had to show my boarding card (issued in Liverpool !) and go through a body scanner.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:19 pm

i would.... leave you friends in the airport, take the person who is to be driving said hire car to the main offices outside the airport.. (go as if you are heading towards the n340, around the first roundabout and down the side road on the left).

the person driving the hire car can then hire a car independatly of yourself, using his passport and credit card details.

it is my experience that a person that hires a hire car is responsible for said hire car, and that that person and that person only is insured to drive it. when you start putting more than one name on a hire car it gets expesive.

if you are not going to be driving it, just take the driver to the main desk, its the easiest way. (remember to take THEIR passport, and a credit card, other wise you wont be able to hire a car...)
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

Nige
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Nige » Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:01 pm

Sorry to have to say this Lad but that is as clear as MUD.
And also whenever I have hired a car through one of the most popular rental agencies there has always been the option for up to 3 extra drivers for FREE.

One important matter concerns the work started on building the new Terminal ! Anything that you had been used to prior to last week will have changed so it's best not to rely on any advice unless it is very very recent and with experience.
Some explanation of the new work is on www.aena.es at English version of Malaga airport.
http://www.aena.es/csee/Satellite?pagen ... teName=AGP

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Sun Feb 12, 2006 4:22 am

ok.. so its as clear as mud?

fine.. go to the car hire place. hire a car. oh.. how can u drive two cars?? hmmmmmm ?? (assuming there are not two drivers in the persons car who is doing the collecting, i´m assuming that there wouldn´t be, considering that theres not enough room in the car for the people that are being picked up...? )

the building works outside dont affect the car hire area by the round about AT ALL.

the building works around the terminal dont affect the car hire places...at all.

what are you talking about nige ? i recomended going to the main offices. not the ones by the second terminal. not the ones inside the building. the MAIN ones. the ones that are situated on the right hand side of the road as you approach the first round about outside the airport, just after you have come off of the n340.

before you start taking the p*ss..i garentee i am at the airport more than anyone on this board, apart from a taxi driver ;) lets see...i was there on the 12th of jan, the 16th of jan, the 22nd of jan, the 25th of jan, the 27th of jan, the 3rd of feb, and i´m going to be there on the 14th of feb and the 17th of feb and then the 21st of feb as well as the 24th of feb... that good enough for you nige ? or should i add next months dates too just to make sure ?? :roll:

when you hire a car from the main offices the cars are there sitting outside the office. you dont have to collect it in the carpark or anything like that. if you can add up to three other drivers for free, thats all well and good.. but not without their passport you cant can you clever clogs...so how can they hire a car before the other people get there?? go on.. u work that one out :lol:

the way that i recomended in my first post is pretty much the only way it can be done...legally.
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

paulellis
Andalucia.com Amigo

malaga airport car hire

Postby paulellis » Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:38 am

Hi, if you PM me I'll give you details of someone we use. She will meet you in arrivals, hand over the keys. When you return, she or her son, will wait outside departures and collect vehicle from you. No queues, waiting around, parking problems or need to find offices (and, everything is fully legit!)

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:22 am

spanish_lad wrote:. but not without their passport you cant can you clever clogs...so how can they hire a car before the other people get there?? go on.. u work that one out :lol:

You´re the expert Lad, so I´m sure you´re right, but would it be just possible to do this with someone like Carjet. For instance, I am pre registered (you can do it all easily online) they have all my passport and driving details already on the computer, so they don´t seem to need to see either. However, I always have them there, just in case,perhaps if you did not, they might need to see you have them without actually checking the details. But that´s the only possible way you could do it that I can see. But I´m not convinced! :-)
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

Busymum
Resident

Postby Busymum » Sun Feb 12, 2006 4:23 pm

Oh I am so sorry, I realise I didn't explain myself very well here and have caused confusion!

My husband and myself will drive to the airport in our car, he will then leave to pick up our son from school, I would then collect a hire car and wait for my friends, my friend doesn't want to drive, then I will drive the hire car and friends home. We would have a total of 6 passengers plus luggage and two cars for their visit. I could collect from somewhere else off airport but they class this as 'one way' and so charge a premium for it!

Really sorry for not making a clear explanation. :oops:

alisonb
Resident

car hire at malaga

Postby alisonb » Sun Feb 12, 2006 5:22 pm

Although as someone else has said, you can't get back to the desks in Arrivals, most of the hire companies have desks in the return area. I have regularly seen people collecting hire cars from there. So I'm sure that would be the simplest way to do it. I've found Record very helpful. Email them and ask them how to do it
AlisonB

redsoxbrit
Resident

Malaga airport car hire

Postby redsoxbrit » Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:52 am

Why not drive to the airport yourself in a rental car? We use Rent-A-Car 3000 who deliver free of charge to your home. They will also pick-up from different location if required. You can book on-line and pay on delivery. :)

Trigger
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Trigger » Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:17 pm

I booked through Carjet and told them that I was already in Malaga and wanted to collect and drop off at the airport. They arranged it through Crown at the old office opposite the San Miguel brewery. I got off the train, walked 100 metres down the road in and out in a few minutes, quicker than the arrivals hall by far.

Alan-LaCala
Resident

Postby Alan-LaCala » Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:15 am

i am at the airport more than anyone on this board
So Spanish_Lad, are you a taxi driver, pilot, or aircraft spotter? :wink: :wink: :wink:

Alan
Remember that everything that Fred Astaire did, Ginger Rogers did too; except she did it backwards and wearing high heels!

safeashouses
Resident

Postby safeashouses » Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:41 pm

So Spanish_Lad, are you a taxi driver, pilot, or aircraft spotter? :wink: :wink: :wink:
And what are you Mr La Cala a policeman :?: :wink:

If he told you he would then have to kill you. 8)

sheilap
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby sheilap » Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:08 am

come on love is in the air :roll: let get some serious reply,s :shock: and stop throwing the dummy,s out the pram
busymum asked a reasonable question i thought this forum was to give advice on every day living in adalucia

spanish hopes

Postby spanish hopes » Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:31 am

stop throwing the dummy,s out the pram
Perhaps you would like to take your own advice. There are more members on here than your good self and they are entitled to expect from and contribute to the forum equally as much as you.

Busymum
Resident

Postby Busymum » Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:44 pm

Thankyou everyone for your helpful replies and PMs.

I have sorted out car hire today the easiest and infact cheapest way to do this was to have a car delivered to me at home and then leave it at the airport and the end of the rental. Fantastic, home delivery .... I am all for that!

Thanks to all :D

P.A.D.
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby P.A.D. » Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:22 pm

Hi, who did you use in the end and was it a good deal?!

Busymum
Resident

Postby Busymum » Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:30 pm

Hi!

I am using Rent a car 3000. It worked out cheaper than anything else I looked at and I just return it with the same amount of petrol in it, which for a short rental is great I won't be paying for petrol I don't use, also they are delivering to my home and I will leave it at the airport. Seems like a good service.

Regards to 'sunny' Hull, are you a Rovers or F.C supporter?
:wink:

BUSYMUM

P.A.D.
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby P.A.D. » Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:11 pm

neither, I'm ashamed to say :oops: !!

I used to 'follow' Rovers when I was younger, around the time the city went quiet as the WHOLE population was at Wembley watching BOTH hull teams play in the Challenge Cup Final!!

My daughter is a season ticket holder for Hull City, and she goes with her dad most games, but its not my thing i'm afraid!!

Glad you got sorted with keith and Vicky, they are a lovely couple who will help you in ANY way you can...

Anj
x