Intruder alarm companies

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
fyfin
Resident

Intruder alarm companies

Postby fyfin » Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:50 pm

I'm thinking of having an alarm installed which will involve cctv which will be monitored. There have been a few break-ins on our development and those burgled have had alarms installed after the event. There are various companies who install around here but I wondered if anyone has had a recent install and how happy they are with it. A friend has used Prosegur at a cost of €399 installation and €30 per month + iva.

I have contacted Securitas who were very quick off the mark and wanted to call today but I put them off until tomorrow morning - they seemed very hard sell but I only contacted them to have a price comparison but of course they want to visit.

I have toyed with putting a couple of IP camera up myself but if we are away for a week or two it might be better to have monitoring by a recognised company.

I have improved security with new strong patio doors and we have neighbours around also members of neighbourhood watch so I wonder if I'm being a bit OTT.

I would appreciate comments before I see these people tomorrow.
A man likes his wife to be just clever enough to appreciate his cleverness, and just stupid enough to admire it

dxf
Resident

Re: Intruder alarm companies

Postby dxf » Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:29 pm

Hola

I bought a package of 8 security cameras with a control recorder (Swann) from Maplins for around 400 pounds. It has free access to the internet so I can monitor any /all 8 cameras at any time. The cameras infrared can been seen easily of a night.

But the best deterrent is my two dogs and good neighbours

Davexf

fyfin
Resident

Postby fyfin » Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:48 pm

Yep, We have the dog and neighbour's dogs are vocal if anyone around but there were 4 burglaries and 3 of them had dogs in the house at the time when they were out. Admittedly they either backed onto the campo or had a vacant property behind so the burglars could access via the rear without being seen. Not that late either 10.00pm when people were out and hadn't come back. They were interrupted at the forth property by a neighbour and dropped a laptop and some other stuff before speeding off with lights out.
The cameras would be a deterrent for sure and as I said I am considering installing them myself. I have experimented with cheap IP cameras and can access via an app and get alarm notification.
It's just that maybe a professional install and monitoring would be better.
A man likes his wife to be just clever enough to appreciate his cleverness, and just stupid enough to admire it

fyfin
Resident

Postby fyfin » Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:57 pm

Well, two ladies came round this morning from Securitas and made me an offer to install there and then at a price of €200 less than my friends paid to Prosegur. Also very sophisticated equipment these days, 3G instead of wifi etc and even anti-jamming technology built in, although I don't think the burglars around here are that clever. One interesting item was the panic button which allows you to get through to a central 24/7 (English speaking) manned office who will call police or ambulance on your behalf. Having used the 112 service I know it can be a bit slow so this was a big selling point for my wife.
So we signed and they set about the install which was quick and Claudia was handy with a drill so no need to assist. lol

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:40 pm

We use Securitas and their customer service is excellent. Even if you phone their general phone number they know immediately who you are and always speak in perfect English.

They have a Smartphone app you can download. This enables you to connect and disconnect remotely and also request a picture from any of the cameras.

The big plus for us for Securitas compared to Prosegur is that their detectors can be adjusted to not detect small animals in the house. They also do a range of perimeter alarms, which can detect intruders before they start smashing windows!

Sid

fyfin
Resident

Postby fyfin » Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:54 pm

Indeed Sid and pleased to know we may have made the right choice. I was impressed by their system and I mentioned our little dog and she said it would be OK although we usually leave here in the closed in terrace which doesn't need a detector. One thing I did notice , there is a magnetic detector on the door and the panel goes red when you open the door even if the alarm is off. I guess that's just to let you know that the door is open.
I've got the app installed and very impressed with how easy it is to use.
So far so good and we're happy we made the right decision. Even more so now that I know you have it as well! lol

dxf
Resident

Postby dxf » Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:41 pm

Hola

Might I ask what are the costs?

Davexf

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:55 pm

The costs vary depending on the number no type of detectors and what discounts they are offering. Low hundreds of Euros is typical. I got a big discount as they were replacing a Prosegur system. The price Fyfin paid would be more representative. The whole system is wireless except for the portable control unt which only needs to be plugged in keep its battery charged. If you forget to plug it in you will get an email to tell you!

The main cost is the monitoring charge which again depends on the equipment. For a basic installation it's about €35 a month.

Sid

fyfin
Resident

Postby fyfin » Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:40 pm

Yes it seems to vary - my friend paid €499 installation but he has an extra camera outside and with Prosegur. I paid only €299 (seemed to be a very special discount - don't know why) for 2 internal camera and a magnetic door detector plus of course all the usual fobs and panels and access via app. Their system doesn't use wifi so would seem to be more secure as wifi can go off now and again. I don't need anything else to be fair. The cost per month is €32. Everything plus iva of course.

dxf
Resident

Postby dxf » Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:54 pm

Hola

Thank you for that; the monthly costs seem rather expensive to me - My set up costs were £400 and that is for 8 cameras with no monthly costs.

Davexf

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:00 pm

But if it's not connected to a control centre how will it help if you get burgled? You just end up with some nice pictures of the robbers when you return. Or am I missing something?

You're right, I think the dogs are probably more useful.

Sid

dxf
Resident

Postby dxf » Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:09 pm

Hola Sid,

Yes I think you've missed the time it takes to rob a house when compared to the time it takes for the security guard to arrive; when someone "human" confirms the robbery, then you might get the police to take some interest.

The end result is probably the same; the robbers get away with whatever they can carry easily and you are left to claim on your insurance. I know people here have wondered why there was a sudden cold draught, got up to see the robber running away with the handbag. They know us old'uns can't run as fast as they can.

Davexf

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:34 am

Does anyone know if it is possible to buy a professional standard control box and keypad for security alarm in Spain.
I did look on Amazon but I am thinking there are better standard boxes used by professional companies.
My question is can these control units be bought in Spain?
I want this for shed in UK and do not want to use professional monitored system...

Flexo
Resident

Postby Flexo » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:18 am

If I lived at the costa I would definately have a professional alarm. I have Securitas now for my business (used to be Grupo Segur before they got bought up). It is about 30:ish per month excluding installation.

gus-lopez
Resident

Postby gus-lopez » Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:39 pm

fyfin wrote:Yes it seems to vary - my friend paid €499 installation but he has an extra camera outside and with Prosegur. I paid only €299 (seemed to be a very special discount - don't know why) for 2 internal camera and a magnetic door detector plus of course all the usual fobs and panels and access via app. Their system doesn't use wifi so would seem to be more secure as wifi can go off now and again. I don't need anything else to be fair. The cost per month is €32. Everything plus iva of course.
Could be the extra cost is for the outside cctv as they require licencing ?
Todos somos Lorca.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:29 pm

The perimeter cameras are not directed outside the property so do not present any problems. Generally they are not motion cameras, they take a sequence of still pictures. They have very precise beams which can be adjusted to cover only the area that needs coverage.

Securitas are now also using laser detectors which are even more precise but do not include cameras.

These perimeter devices are more expensive than the usual internal units, not least because they have to be waterproof.

Sid

marios
Resident

Postby marios » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:03 pm

I'm paying 51.40 for alarm with 5 sensors no camera's and just an email when the alarm is acitvated or deactivated, I think were being ripped off.

fyfin
Resident

Postby fyfin » Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:19 pm

Yep, I would think so. Plenty of discounts available - Securitas did me a very good deal and great communication.

marios
Resident

Postby marios » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:33 am

I should have said I'm with Securitas and yes it goes up every year without fail.