procedure for selling a used car

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
Flexo
Resident

procedure for selling a used car

Postby Flexo » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:39 pm

I am about to sell a car, probably particular to particular. What is exactly the procedure, what is the documents I need and what do I do? What will it cost for the gestor and what not?

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Re: procedure for selling a used car

Postby costakid » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:42 pm

My only advice is DO IT CORRECTLY. You will regret it if you cut corners and sell it to someone who gets a rake of parking tickets.

dxf
Resident

Postby dxf » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:53 pm

Hola

In Andalucia there is a tax to be paid for changing ownership of a car; so the first step is to go to your local office and pay that tax or if they can't accept payments, then they will tell you where it can be done. There is a sliding scale for the actual amount.
You can then go to Trafico and change the ownership paying for the privilege.
You and the new owner need to have all of your documentation and photocopies of course.
Davexf

Flexo
Resident

Postby Flexo » Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:59 am

dxF: if I go to a gestor, wouldn't they solve everything?

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:08 am

Hi flexo,

"if I go to a gestor, wouldn't they solve everything?"....................Yes

I used Gestor to when we sold a car.......got the buyer to pay the fee at the time 160euro as well........... :D
If you're anywhere near Alcala la Real.............Paco (Mr Fixit) at VV Motors will do it , speaks English..... :idea:
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:47 pm

Rough translation of info on Tráfico's website:
Never hand over the vehicle without having in your hands the original contract of sale (if it is between private individuals) and a photocopy of the identity document in Spain of the buyer (DNI / NIE). It is important to indicate in the contract the hour and minutes in which you deliver the vehicle: remember that any fines from fixed radars and for not having passed the ITV will continue to arrive (in your name) until there is a change in ownership in the Vehicle Registry.
Tell the buyer that before 15 days they must send you a copy of the circulation permit, stating that the vehicle now registered in their name. If you have not received this document within 15 days, go to the Traffic Office to let us know that you have sold the vehicle (with a copy of the contract of sale).
The following documents may be helpful (in English)
https://sede.dgt.gob.es/Galerias/tramit ... 4-2016.pdf
https://sede.dgt.gob.es/Galerias/tramit ... 4-2016.pdf

Not having personal experience of the procedure, I can't offer any specific advice other than this. Just out of interest, does anyone have any experience / knowledge of selling a Spanish reg vehicle back in the UK, and any particular problems or issues that might arise in doing so?
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

dxf
Resident

Postby dxf » Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:56 pm

Miro wrote: Just out of interest, does anyone have any experience / knowledge of selling a Spanish reg vehicle back in the UK, and any particular problems or issues that might arise in doing so?

Hola

The simple answer is if you sell the car in the UK, you can't pay the transfer tax and can't register the change at Trafico so the car still "belongs" to you - or at least, any debts fines etc.

Davexf

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:11 pm

Can you not pay the tax & register the change online?

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

dxf
Resident

Postby dxf » Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:40 pm

I doubt it as you need to be able to prove the sellers identity plus your identity - the documents are inspected quite thoroughly at Trafico.

Davexf

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:45 pm

I wonder how the LHD dealers in the UK do it then - I know they sell Spanish registered cars, but if you were to sell to one of them, how could you ever be sure the car will be re-registered once sold? I suppose a gestor could handle it all for a sale taking place in the UK?
Just seen this on one of the links I posted earlier:
"In order to identify the seller, a photocopy of any of the required documents will suffice. This identification requirement of the seller will not be necessary if a notification of the sale has been previously submitted." Maybe that's the answer?

gus-lopez
Resident

Postby gus-lopez » Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:23 pm

Sold mine recently.
2 copies of a " contrato decompra-venta de Vehiculo usado entre particulares " filled in with sellers/buyers details & signed & dated.
Gestoria just needed my NIe number & address & copy of both side of buyers DNI tarjeta.
that was it + tax for trafico paid in office & all for 30€.
Todos somos Lorca.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:06 pm

Is there a standard form "compra-venta de Vehiculo usado entre particulares"? If so, where did you get it from?

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:12 pm

All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:55 pm

Thanks Enrique :thumbup:

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:22 am

Miro wrote:I wonder how the LHD dealers in the UK do it then - I know they sell Spanish registered cars, but if you were to sell to one of them, how could you ever be sure the car will be re-registered once sold?
I e-mailed the LHD Place in Basingstoke about this, and they replied: "Your best choice will be to carry out a baja definitive prior to bringing your car to the UK, this means you have declared to Trafico that you will be exporting the car, and you will be given temporary plates to do this. When you sell the car to us, you can take the plates, and leave us just the Permiso and Tarjeta. We can send you proof of UK registration once it is complete."
I was actually thinking of selling the car on it's existing Spanish plates - I don't want to re-register it myself if I can avoid it, and selling to a dealer who is going to register it in the UK will obviously mean rock-bottom price. Has anyone got any experience / opinion of selling a Spanish reg car in the UK, or is it just too risky?

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:14 pm

Hi Miro, when I returned to UK in Dec 2014 I sold my Spanish registered car to the LHD place in Basingstoke. They offered me a price I was happy with. They gave me some Spanish documents to complete and sign. Don't ask me what they were (yes I know!). I assume they were to do with the sale/transfer. I informed nobody before leaving Spain as my original plan was to keep the car in the UK.
All that was 2 years ago and, fingers crossed, I have not had any further communication regarding the vehicle which I assume has long since been sold. Sometimes ignorance is bliss :D

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:20 pm

masterob wrote:Sometimes ignorance is bliss :D
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Funnily enough, I bought a LHD on UK plates from them back in '97 and brought it to Spain, where I (or rather, my gestor at the time) re-registered it. I never worried about anything going wrong back them. Was that just because I was younger, or simply ignorant? :?

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:09 pm

I too bought a LHD car from them in 2004 to take with us when we moved to Spain. We had it in the UK for a couple of weeks before moving to Spain. I drove it in Spain (on UK plates) for about 6 months before the gestor in Spain re-registered it there for a relatively small sum (certainly a lot less than I had been led to believe from reports in the Forum). Same reports suggested you had to have owned the car for more than the couple of weeks in the UK and that it had to be re-registered in Spain sooner than 6 months. Maybe that is true but I was ignorant of such requirements and they never arose for me!

I also recall exchanges in the Forum a few years back about a new requirement for electricity meters in the Campo had to be close to a road and that the owner had to pay for their re siting if they were not. Ours in Alora was quite some distance from a "road" but that didn't seem to bother Endessa and the meter is still in in the same place "X" number of years later.

I think us Brits often worry too much about things and the Spanish way if shrugging a shoulder has a lot to be admired! In old age I think "ignorance" can sometimes be a good thing!

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:24 pm

As I said, when we came to Spain we didn't worry too much about anything, trusting that things would always work out, and mostly they did. However, over the years, our experience has increasingly been, if it can go wrong it most probably will, and when it does, it's a bit of a nightmare to sort out. I can still deal with things the Spanish way, but SWMBO has had enough :wink: Ironically, being a member of this forum has been both a great help, and also a hindrance to existing in a state of blissful ignorance!
I think when the time comes, I'll just drive the car to England, and then deal with getting rid of it once there! Thanks for the replies :D

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:24 pm

Another question, if anyone can help please. I still don't know whether I'll be selling the car on Spanish plates, or de-registering it (re-registering in UK), but either way there are fees to pay to Tráfico, just to submit the relevant documentation. I can get the relevant application forms from the DGT website, but can't for the life of me find how you pay the fees - other than presumably going into a Tráfico office. From the website it seems that you can pay the fees in any bank - but how? Surely I don't just walk into a bank and say "Hi, I'd like to give Tráfico some dosh"? I can't find a payment form which might specify what the payment is for etc. Anyone got any idea?