RYANAIR EXPOSED - 13th Feb ITV

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
Faire d'Income
Resident

Postby Faire d'Income » Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:38 pm

MarkF wrote:Nothing surprising in it, certainly nothing new, where as the "story", no maintenance isuues which I would have concerned me most. If that was investigative journalism at it's best then they had better hang on to their RA uniforms :D

I haven't noticed Jet2, Easyjet or Flybe staff taking any more notice of my passport than RA's.

Every business should, of course, comply with all H&E directives but then we would be up in arms because business's could not then possibly function like a consumer would wish.

The aircraft were sometimes dirty........big deal.

I think it's a great company, as a customer I think the other 3 carriers I mentioned are great too, I bet the shareholders think it's a great company also. Why denigrate it and it's boss.

The staff are unhappy, so what? Move jobs! Talk to staff at Tesco, B&Q or any other large corporation with lots of unskilled staff on low wages, the story will be just the same.
Mark. First of all, there is a scarcity of jobs in the aviation industry so it's nigh on impossible for a pilot to move jobs other than to another industry, most likely on a significantly lower salary with a loss of ancillary benefits such as a pension.

I'm surprised that you have no qualms about their training process. You do realise that CC are there primarily for your safety and not simply to doll out cans of coke and sandwiches? Their attitude to CRM was a joke - does it not bother you that none of the crew saw fit to mention the low slide bottle pressure on the emergency exit?

Who would you rather have evacuating the aircraft? Someone who's paid the company £1500.00 for their training where they have been coached to pass an exam (with an open book policy) or someone who's been taught properly and knows what they should be doing?

The whole Ryanair culture is shocking, particularly the culture of fear amongst the staff, regularly reinforced by demotions etc of any whistle blowers. The IAA cannot cope and O'Leary has no intention of allowing Ryanair to come under the auspices of the CAA because he knows that some of the barriers that are 'pushed' by the company would not be allowed by them.

MarkF
Resident

Postby MarkF » Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:28 pm

Sorry, I don't know your name but you raise some good points.

My heart doesn't bleed for pilots, they don't "deserve" an alternative position just because they are pilots, good grief, my opinion is the same, if they don't like it, leave, don't moan. The company does not owe them a living!

I've never heard of a "low slide pressure bottle" in my life so doubt if that is a particular failing just at RA. But, of course, you are right I would prefer have properly trained CC crew on my flight. The payment of £1500 was also scandalous.

The culture of fear you mention is present at most large companies, it's nothing new to hear, it's not right, but the same practices are thriving everywhere.

BTW Just googled up the pressure bottle. :)

meseta
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby meseta » Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:00 am

The ethos of lower standards alluded to throughout this thread surely do not stop at dirty cabin furnishings !

If the cabin cleaning standards are not up to standard, the cc training is questionable ( suggested ) and pressure is put upon flight deck and dispatch staff to turn around the aeroplane in unrealistic periods of time what makes you think other areas of operation are of any better quality ?

MarkF
Resident

Postby MarkF » Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:46 pm

meseta wrote:The ethos of lower standards alluded to throughout this thread surely do not stop at dirty cabin furnishings !

If the cabin cleaning standards are not up to standard, the cc training is questionable ( suggested ) and pressure is put upon flight deck and dispatch staff to turn around the aeroplane in unrealistic periods of time what makes you think other areas of operation are of any better quality ?
I still haven't experienced dirty cabin furnishings!

I was astounded to learn that they had a 25min turnaround period but is that "unrealistic"? I don't think so considering that Ryanair is many times the most punctual airline for quarterly periods. Check it out, so what does that say about other airlines? :) Oh, they also lose less bags too!

What would concern me is maintenance issues, since they own their new (2004) maintenance facility in London and could not afford the publicity of lowered standrds then I have no concerns.

Anyway, this is about Ryanair not me, where, in the program, was the story exactly? What scoop was unearthed to shock us all? Nothing, zippo, zilch. I'll keep flying with them but I sure wouldn't want to work for them, or Next or Morrisons or Argos or PC World........... :D

Perhaps if they relied on governments to bail them out of financial hotspots as well as opertaing a cosy price cartel to fleece the consumer then they might be able to afford more expenditure on cleaner seats. :wink:

Faire d'Income
Resident

Postby Faire d'Income » Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:36 pm

MarkF wrote:
meseta wrote:If the cabin cleaning standards are not up to standard, the cc training is questionable ( suggested ) and pressure is put upon flight deck and dispatch staff to turn around the aeroplane in unrealistic periods of time what makes you think other areas of operation are of any better quality ?
I was astounded to learn that they had a 25min turnaround period but is that "unrealistic"? I don't think so considering that Ryanair is many times the most punctual airline for quarterly periods. Check it out, so what does that say about other airlines? :) Oh, they also lose less bags too!

What would concern me is maintenance issues, since they own their new (2004) maintenance facility in London and could not afford the publicity of lowered standrds then I have no concerns.

Perhaps if they relied on governments to bail them out of financial hotspots as well as opertaing a cosy price cartel to fleece the consumer then they might be able to afford more expenditure on cleaner seats. :wink:
Presumably, your last remark was facetious given the amount of local government subisidies that Ryanair receives as currently being investigated by the European Parliament?

The 25 minute turnaround is unrealistic if you do it by the book, that is to say no excessive taxi speeds, misreporting of fuel balances in order to jump queues, lack of passport control (no, I've never seen something like that on an Easyjet flight) as well as the culture of fear which has no place in a safety first environment such as an airline. I don't know which industry you work in but in every one I've been in there has never been the culture of fear that seems to exist at Ryanair. You find it acceptable for the CC not to report the low side pressure bottle incident and then go on to explain that unless they have maintenance issues, you aren't bothered? Seems like a contradiction to me.

Post September 11th, there are fewer and fewer jobs within the aviation industry which is why people cannot speak out but if you find it acceptable for flight deck crews to work in that environment, then again this contradicts your statement about safety.

You carry on using them, I never have and never will given their shoddy way of operating which hopefully won't result in an accident but it really is a case of 'you pays your money, and you get your goods'....

anewlife
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby anewlife » Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:06 pm

I always fly with Ryanair because their flights are cheap and I have never experienced any problems with them on or off the ground.

As regards safety etc., as they say, when your number's up it's up. Anyone watch the Aloha disaster in 1988 when the top blew open??

gretch
Resident

Postby gretch » Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:07 pm

We also have a responsibility regarding safety; I wonder how many of us actually take notice of the pre flight safety instructions, let alone read the safety instruction sheet left in the pocket in front of us?
So, I wonder, are there any hypocrites amongst us? :wink:

spanish hopes

Postby spanish hopes » Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:16 pm

gretch wrote:We also have a responsibility regarding safety; I wonder how many of us actually take notice of the pre flight safety instructions, let alone read the safety instruction sheet left in the pocket in front of us?
So, I wonder, are there any hypocrites amongst us? :wink:
You can bet on it! There are those who want the Budget Airline prices with the Premier Airline Service.

samizdat
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby samizdat » Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:32 pm

You can bet on it! There are those who want the Budget Airline prices with the Premier Airline Service.

safety is not a negotable "service"

spanish hopes

Postby spanish hopes » Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:43 pm

samizdat wrote:

safety is not a negotable "service"
Then YOU don't need to use the airline, but stop telling me and others who are content with what we pay for not to.

samizdat
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby samizdat » Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:18 pm

but stop telling me and others who are content with what we pay for not to.

nobody is TELLING anyone anything - except you!!

do you get out of bed as a beligerent unpleasant old man, or do you work yourself up to it bore us all of this forum with your constant unpleasantness and ridiculous "T00per" hunt?

MarkF
Resident

Postby MarkF » Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:19 pm

Faire d'Income wrote:
MarkF wrote:[
Presumably, your last remark was facetious given the amount of local government subisidies that Ryanair receives as currently being investigated by the European Parliament?

Post September 11th, there are fewer and fewer jobs within the aviation industry which is why people cannot speak out
Not facetious at all, not entirely sure where the connection is either. Those subsidies were/are available to any airline willing to give business to those small out-of-the way airports willing to pay subsidies!

Post September 11, come on, that date is a great excuse for all of the worlds problems not just the airline industries :D The employees can speak out, it's a free world, they are free to walk too if they are employed in a position they are unhappy with.

We'll never agree but I respect your decision not to fly with Ryaniar and I still don't know hwere the BIG story was!

BTW, I am self employed, thank god, but I have worked for large corporations and deal with them now on a weekly basis. The fear culture, I would guess, is in 95% of those I deal with and 100% of those I worked in. Nobody forces an employee to remain unhappy, the door is always open, I know, I walked through it.