Bristol Airport Security

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Re: Bristol Airport Security

Postby Lavanda » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:09 pm

There's a thread already about that somewhere in this topic and I'll find it when I get a moment ...

Trigger
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Trigger » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:38 pm

Paulinmalaga wrote:Sounds dreadful seems from what you describe, traveling "Cattle Class" is justified & accurate jargon often used to describe these Budget No Frills airlines services both on board and in the areas at airports where they operate. But I guess you get what you pay for or are willing to pay for.
The topic is Bristol Airport Security - it doesn't matter which airline you are flying with, you still have to go through the same security. So your snobbish whinge is both off topic and pointless.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:40 pm

Found it, Lavander, thanks
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:43 pm

The thread may have drifted slightly, but the tone was pleasant & conversational until your pointless and even more off topic comment, Trigger.

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:44 pm

Trigger, it is not snobbish to expect to be treated with courtesy and respect by a service company. I can tolerate the minimal seating and the ludicrous prices of onboard coffee, but simply failing to provide adequate facilities for the baggage system they have forced on clients is unacceptable.
On my last trip the trolley dollies tried the usual tip-manufacturing trick of 'I haven't enough change, I will come back to you' - yes, if you can wait until the pigs fly past the windows.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:48 pm

Well said Miro, the thread was informative, pleasant and as you say conversational, just people discussing various topics based around air travel, train travel security etc.simply expressing their points of view in a non confrontational manor. Until Triggers silly sniping comment

quebin
Resident

Postby quebin » Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:39 am

Try this site for train travel information.
http://www.seat61.com/

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:07 am

Paulinmalaga wrote: Yes you are probably your correct that paying extra to travel scheduled wouldn’t have helped ease the strain of walking due to the broken down moving walkway (unlucky I would suggest as it’s probably been mended by now).
I wouldn't count on that. Some of them were not working when I arrived at Manchester airport the previous Wednesday, and by Sunday that had turned into none of them working. Progress, I suppose, but unfortunately of the wrong kind.

I choose my flights based mainly on flight times which are convenient to me. I won't get up at stupid o'clock to catch an early morning flight, nor do I want a flight which doesn't reach my destination until late at night. The only scheduled airline (which is around the same price as easyJet, Ryanair, etc anyway) currently operating direct flights between Málaga and Manchester is Norwegian Airlines, and their return flight does not arrive back in Málaga until after midnight, so I won't consider it.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:14 pm

Everywhere just seems to have got so much busier in recent years, so queues and hassle seem to go with flying these days unless you can use a much smaller airport. Obviously the increased security takes up time now but there's not much we can do about that. They are usually very efficient at Malaga, but recently when coming back from Lanzarote I forgot to take my plastic bags of liquids out of my case and my OH forgot to take his belt off and no-one noticed!

When we first started coming to Spain 20 years ago we came from Stansted and there was only one charter (Britannia) flight a week. It was 7am in the winter on a Thursday and a delightful 6am in the summer. We often paid in excess of 250 pounds for the flights and that was in the 90s (and after much shopping around, by phone in those days). Our next trip back to the UK next summer is costing a total of 120€, so I guess that makes up for the hassle.

I would use Southend which was a complete pleasure the few times we tried it being so small, but flights are often too early in the morning for us now so stick to Stansted, but it is so busy there now we don't recognise it from when we used to travel from there.

(I also recommend the AVE to Madrid)

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:26 pm

Wicksey wrote: Our next trip back to the UK next summer is costing a total of 120€, so I guess that makes up for the hassle.
I really wish I could get flights to Manchester for that kind of price. This morning I've checked the price of a return flight next June (at sensible times :) ) with Monarch, and including a selected seat and 23kg checked-in bag it would cost €270 just for me. Apparently the landing fees at Manchester are very high, or so they say.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:38 pm

Free at Last wrote:
Wicksey wrote: Our next trip back to the UK next summer is costing a total of 120€, so I guess that makes up for the hassle.
This morning I've checked the price of a return flight next June (at sensible times :) ) with Monarch, and including a selected seat and 23kg checked-in bag it would cost €270 just for me.
That's expensive!

I booked our flights for May in September when they were first released so maybe that's why we got them cheaper (and they are with Ryanair). Stansted has a choice of flight times as well so we can choose sensible times for us. Like you, we don't want early morning/late night although we don't mind landing in Malaga at 10pm as we only have to get ourselves home and it gives us more time in our destination.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:44 pm

Reverting to security just for a moment, the passport check in Madrid was unusually busy on Monday night. I joined the shortest queue (for EU Passports only) which turned out to be stuck. At the head were four people, adults, two men and two women. They looked eastern European with high cheekbones and black hair. The passport control wouldn't let them through. They asked what they were supposed to do next. The official told them he didn't care but they were not getting past him. They turned back and promptly joined another queue!!! I never found out what that was all about as I zipped through with no problem but what does happen when people are not allowed past the passport desk?

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:54 pm

Flying out to Hamburg from Málaga, our passports were checked only at the boarding gate by airline staff. Coming back, nobody even asked to see any ID at any time, which kind of surprised me. It's all very well asking me to remove my belt but if nobody bothers to check that I am who I claim to be, doesn't that make "security" a bit of a joke?

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:05 pm

I wonder if Germany would have a different idea of checking passports if they had an Atocha experience, or a 7/7 or even Paris moment?

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:06 pm

Miro wrote:Flying out to Hamburg from Málaga, our passports were checked only at the boarding gate by airline staff. Coming back, nobody even asked to see any ID at any time, which kind of surprised me. It's all very well asking me to remove my belt but if nobody bothers to check that I am who I claim to be, doesn't that make "security" a bit of a joke?
Would that be because you were travelling within the Schengen Zone? I did have to go through passport control at Málaga on my outward journey to the UK. I know you don't have to when travelling on Spanish domestic flights, as you say the only identity checks are at the check-in desk and the departure gate.

By the way, as we were speaking earlier about the AVE services, we noticed on our most recent journey that they now have an airline style body scanner which you need to pass through at Málaga Maria Zambrano station, instead of just putting your luggage through the scanner as was the case previously.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:22 pm

Yes, we were traveling within Schengen, but on the outward journey the airline staff a the boarding gate at least checked our passports, presumably to ensure they corresponded with the names on the boarding passes - but coming back, not once did I have to get my passport out of my pocket. In fact, at the boarding gate, I scanned my own boarding pass again, as at security, and at no time did a human being ever examine any of my documentation. It just seems strange to me - so much fuss over removing belts & braces etc., but not bothering to check who's actually on the flight. That's freedom of movement taken to the extreme in my opinion, and I for one felt more secure back in the days when a surly customs & immigration official glared at you & then you passport photo, making you squirm and feel guilty just for being there!

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:46 pm

That's worrying Miro, considering that many of the 'refugees' that arrived on Greek islands seemed to have the most cursory investigations before being allowed to roam throughout Europe. I understand two of the Paris bombers came in via that route. I can understand why some countries want to re-introduce border controls.

In fact, I am sure that travelling back from Stansted this summer we did not go through passport control. We scanned our boarding cards to get into the departures lounge, but then later realised that we only produced our passports when boarding at the gate, and even then they only very quickly glanced at them. There was a programme on TV the other week saying how sophisticated the forging of ID card and passports is getting and I think there should be more emphasis on checking ID of those travelling.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:02 pm

I think we should all carry photographic ID full stop — but that's another thread.

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:15 pm

Free at Last wrote:
I choose my flights based mainly on flight times which are convenient to me. I won't get up at stupid o'clock to catch an early morning flight, nor do I want a flight which doesn't reach my destination until late at night. The only scheduled airline (which is around the same price as easyJet, Ryanair, etc anyway) currently operating direct flights between Málaga and Manchester is Norwegian Airlines, and their return flight does not arrive back in Málaga until after midnight, so I won't consider it.
Yes, I found the Norwegian flight into Malaga was a bit too late, so I got one with Monarch MAN - AGP, and then used Norwegian on the way back, which worked out well :-)
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:30 pm

chrissiehope wrote: Yes, I found the Norwegian flight into Malaga was a bit too late, so I got one with Monarch MAN - AGP, and then used Norwegian on the way back, which worked out well :-)
Yes, I often split my flights that way. This time I went out with easyJet because it departed at 11.05 am whereas the Ryanair flight doesn't get into Manchester until pretty late, and came back with Ryanair which took off at 5.00 pm and landed here at 9.00 pm local time so I got half a day there after arrival and pretty much a full day on the last day. By doing that I can get everything I need to do done and everybody I need to see seen and keep my stay to a maximum of 4 nights which suits me best. The Norwegian flight gets into Manchester at 7.30 pm, I think, so by the time I got to my final destination the day would be pretty much over.

In summer I can use Monarch both ways as their flight times are ideal for me, a midday takeoff from Malaga and coming back on a Sunday there is a flight which leaves at 3.20 pm. Shame they don't operate that one during the winter.