Winterised pool

Looking for information or help in the field of DIY and home improvement. Post your questions, suggestions and comments here.
Torrox_campo
Andalucia.com Amigo

Winterised pool

Postby Torrox_campo » Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:33 pm

As we are going back to UK for Christmas. I have put 1.6 L of Puripool Super into the pool of size about 35 m3. The plan was when we return in 6 weeks time we will continue to maintain the pool as usual. We covered the pool and still let the pump running on auto timer for 45 mins each day. A neighbour said that I should have lowered the water below the skimmer and emptying the pump + sand filter of water (turn off the pump of course). My question is if I leave the water level as it is and continue to leave the pump circulating 45 minutes each day would it do the pump, pipework etc. any harm. The instructions on the back of the 6L bottle says that even after putting the Puripool Super it is still safe to bath.
The pool is clean and pH + chlorine levels are OK. I am only worried about the Puripool Super's chemical doing harm to the pipe works and the pump. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Fincaman
Tourist

Re: Winterised pool

Postby Fincaman » Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:28 pm

I have always understood that winterising is for the period the pool is not in use with the pump turned off. I suggest you check with the manufacturer if there is a helpline number on the pack, which I am sure will reassure you. As for draining the pump and filter, this is to prevent frost problems, which you can ignore; these products are sold internationally, so they have to allow for all climatic conditions.
Restoring an old finca near Colmenar.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:44 pm

I keep the pool open all winter and just run the pump for 15 minutes a day. I keep the chlorine levels up with a floating dispenser. The low temps and lack of UV keep the chlorine levels up for a long time.

Our neighbour has a covered pool and that stays clean for the whole winter with no pumping a a chlorine floater.

For a six week period with a covered pool, you don't really need to do anything so long as the chlorine levels are reasonably high.

Sid

Torrox_campo
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Torrox_campo » Sat Dec 24, 2016 2:42 pm

Thank you both for your advice! We've gone back to the UK for Christmas then going back to Spain in January. I left the pool covered and the pump running for 45 mins per day, possibly over-kill here. My only worry was the chemical might damage the pump and pipe work but I didn't drain since they say it is still safe to bath and guessed that the frost damage isn't going to happen in CDS.
I could pile on the chlorine level but a neighbour had the leaking skimmer's pipe replaced by a pool company and they said the pipe was rotten due to high chlorine level.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sat Dec 24, 2016 5:50 pm

The damage to the pipe would have been caused by putting chlorine tablets in the skimmer basket.
Let's go Brandon!

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Dec 24, 2016 6:22 pm

It's also caused by having inferior quality piping. We had that problem initially (we always put the tablets in the skimmers). Once the piping was changed to something designed for the job we have had no problems (about 10 years to be exact).

Sid