Alternative TV/Internet Service

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
Dunflittin68
Andalucia.com Amigo

Alternative TV/Internet Service

Postby Dunflittin68 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:24 pm

We are using Fobos at the moment for our Android/internet TV service in the Torrox area but it is extremely unreliable and today I have had to switch the TV off altogether it was giving me such a headache constantly freezing. We are paying for approx. 12mb download but we are lucky to be getting 2 sometimes and today it was half mb !! We have complained previously but they always come up with excuses.

Has anyone tried Express VPN and can tell me what it is like and how it works ? I just want a decent service with a picture which doesn't constantly keep freezing which is so annoying. :(

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Re: Alternative TV/Internet Service

Postby Lyric » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:45 pm

You have a PM

Dunflittin68
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Dunflittin68 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:00 pm

Just checked, nothing there !

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:51 pm

Sent again

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:34 am

Dunflittin68 wrote: Has anyone tried Express VPN and can tell me what it is like and how it works ? I just want a decent service with a picture which doesn't constantly keep freezing which is so annoying. :(
Express VPN is just like any other VPN service.
It just provides access to servers that are in a different country to where you live.
So you can use it to foll BBC iPlayer to think you are living in the UK when in fact you live in Spain.
It is not an alternative to Fobos or any other ISP.
You still need to use Fobos or another ISP.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:59 am

If should just want it to watch UK TV, a Smart DNS server is better because it doesn't slow your internet.

Dunflittin68
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Dunflittin68 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:45 am

markwilding wrote:If should just want it to watch UK TV, a Smart DNS server is better because it doesn't slow your internet.
So what service should I look for bearing in mind that one suggested we had already tried but they said they couldn't get a signal in our street so couldn't supply a service here (we are between two hills in a valley).

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:25 am

First you need a decent ISP which will give you a decent Internet connection. Then you can try different DNS options.

I have heard good reports about http://www.axartel.es/en in the Torrox area. Check their website for coverage.

For DNS I use SmartyDNS.com.

Sid

Torrox_campo
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Torrox_campo » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:25 pm

Dunflittin68 wrote:We are using Fobos at the moment for our Android/internet TV service in the Torrox area but it is extremely unreliable and today I have had to switch the TV off altogether it was giving me such a headache constantly freezing. We are paying for approx. 12mb download but we are lucky to be getting 2 sometimes and today it was half mb !! We have complained previously but they always come up with excuses.

Has anyone tried Express VPN and can tell me what it is like and how it works ? I just want a decent service with a picture which doesn't constantly keep freezing which is so annoying. :(
That's interesting. I live in the Torrox campo as well and was looking to change to Fobos from bb4s. I am in the uk as the moment but last December I couldn't watch TV via the bbc iplayer a few times. Some of my neighbours use Fobos and their internet speeds were constantly at 11-12 mb when I tested which made me think to move to Fobos.

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:53 pm

Been using Fobos for years and generally there are no problems. Good solid 12mb down. On the occasion it goes wrong they are always quick to respond to a whatsapp. Don't really have a bad word to say.

Even with 12MB I still get buffering depending on which TV stream I'm watching. All you can do is try another stream and see if that's better.

While I'm at it, big recommendation for smartdnsproxy, works like a charm and you get both DNS redirect and a vpn for, wait for it, $34 for 2 years. Ok it was a special offer during the 14 day trial. But man what a bargain.

Oh. I'm near Sayalonga
Regards

Bob

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:07 am

We've used Fobos for almost ten years now, from their early days. We currently get a rock-steady 12Mb/s down and 4 up.
Fobos always install and maintain high quality kit, and respond immediately to problems or failures, which are pretty rare these days.
Don't forget that local service providers rely on internet services further upstream (often Telefonica/Movistar), and these can fall over too.
Best way to alert Michael or Blas from Fobos is to send them a text, on the ....001 number.
We are Sayalonga campo too.

Buffering can occur even when local internet speeds are high, by the way.
Chris