How to get UK TV Apps on Samsung TV

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
sampedrena
Resident

How to get UK TV Apps on Samsung TV

Postby sampedrena » Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:25 pm

I would like to be able to get UK Apps (especially TV ones) on my Samsung Smart TV (Series F) Would I be better to alter the TV itself or will I have to do it via the router? I already have a subscription with SmartyDNS – which I use through installed Smarty Apps on my Samsung & Hudl Tablets and also on my Windows PC. Smarty works brilliantly.

In making any changes, I don't want to “mess up” what I already have! This is what worries me.

As far as I know, the TV uses the “default” connection to receive the internet via my TP link and fibre optic service. I also have an Android box (for IPTV) which uses this connection. The Android box has a small WiFI gadget in the front – as it would not pick up the broadband wifi or work with plug-in connectors. Across the room from the TV, I also have a small box into which the Fibre Optic wire connects when it comes out of the wall – the router is then connected to this. (Sorry I don't know the exact names of these devices).

So – My question really is: If I change the DNS in the TV or the router – will this cause any problem with my Android IPTV box and Wifi gadget?

I really don't want to mess up the IPTV – which works well, but would prefer to have UK Apps rather than the Spanish ones. I especially would like to be able to see the All4 (Walter presents) things – I can get them on the Hudl Tablet, but they will not play via the TV using hdmi.
La vida es un espejo, si sonries ella te sonrie

northandsouth
Resident

Re: How to get UK TV Apps on Samsung TV

Postby northandsouth » Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:35 pm

Others more adept than me will have more information but until they do here is the link I used to do mine although is for a J series so you may need to look into that.
http://www.eyeondemand.com/2015/08/26/h ... app-store/

Mine runs through fibre optic with the movistar router DNS changed to the smartyDNS. I also changed the DNS settings on the Samsung as well on the Network menu.
So the Samsung will give you iPlayer, All4, My5, itv hub, amazon and loads more of course.
Your other devices will continue to work ok, I have other tv boxes etc on the same network all running good.
Last edited by northandsouth on Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:39 pm

El Cid is your man but I would simply change your region on your TV to U.K and you will then get the apps you require, below should be of help this has instructions for your F series

https://thevpn.guru/samsung-smart-tv-re ... -dns-proxy

If you put the SmartyDNS into your router it will just unlock any device using its signal allowing those devices to have access to the Smartydns servers and the channels it unblocks. Should not affect your other "gadgets" in any way at all

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:59 pm

Yes, that's exactly what I did. If you want to use a different DNS (unlikely) on another device, you can usually put the DNS settings in the device and that will overide the router DNS.

Sid

sampedrena
Resident

Postby sampedrena » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:19 am

Thanks for the replies - I think I'll leave it until after the holiday before I try anything!

sampedrena
Resident

Postby sampedrena » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:04 am

Hi again folks - Happy New Year!

Well - I've tried to change the Apps on our Samsung Smart TV (F series) to get the UK Apps and can't get it to work. I have followed both the VPN Guru and Eye on Demand instructions - but I never get the option to Agree to Smart Hub Conditions. When I work through the instructions - I get to the Scan for TV Channels, which I find it impossible to skip past - I can't then move off that screen until I do the Scanning. After the scanning for channels, I get the option to change the Time - but only Spain or Canary Islands (presumably as I chose Spain in the initial TV region as indicated in the instructions). Following the time choice (step 3 or 4, I think) it jumps immediately on to the end Step 8 - and doesn't give me Step 5, which seems to be where the Smart Hub Conditions would be.

Does anyone have any advice, please! I'm sure I was following exactly the instructions - but on my TV it jumps over Steps 5 - 8 apparently!

I have not set up the DNS to show UK as yet - as it seemed that this was to be done after setting up the Smart Hub country.

Please, please help! I am at my wits end!

Thanks

Torrox_campo
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Torrox_campo » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:33 pm

Is it a Spanish TV?

sampedrena
Resident

Postby sampedrena » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:49 pm

Yes, bought in Spain.

sampedrena

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:04 pm

Torrox_campo
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Torrox_campo » Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:10 pm

I owned a samsung TV but bought it from UK so no problem there. Is it possible for you to change the country in the menu first? And can it be done without connecting the internet?

northandsouth
Resident

Postby northandsouth » Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:14 pm

You will have to be online. firsttango's smarty link works. I did a friends Spanish F series just this morning using the same procedure and it worked.