A New Lap Top

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
TerryC
Resident

A New Lap Top

Postby TerryC » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:42 am

My old lap top has started playing up so I decided to get a new one. After looking around on the internet I purchased one from Amazon in the UK a Lenovo complete with Windows 10. The package took 2 days to get to Antequera and 3 more days to get to Villanueva de la Concepcion via UPS. The ususal thing when you live in the campo, the driver could not find my house, etc, etc. So why when you order do they ask for your telephone number?

Anyway the new lap top eventually arrived, great, switched it on and then found I had to download Windows 10, which is about 4GB. With my slow connection I started the download at 11.00 am and it finally finished sometime during the early hours of the following morning. I then downloaded Microsoft security to be told this had not been updated for 247 days. Some new computer!!!!!!

Later that day the lap top started crackling and switched itself off, never to reboot again, so it is going back to Amazon.

Ain't life fun.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Re: A New Lap Top

Postby Enrique » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:59 am

Hi TerryC,
Sounds like you have a dodgy supplier...........please PM me the company that supplied it via Amazon.

Recently bought a Lenovo for the "team" and it came ready to go.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

flyeogh
Resident

Postby flyeogh » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:31 pm

TerryC wrote: I then downloaded Microsoft security to be told this had not been updated for 247 days. Some new computer!!!!!!
Ain't life fun.
Terry you've had bad luck for sure. But just to point out the 247 days is the age of the operating system image/security db, or other data file; nothing to do with the age of the laptop as a piece of hardware. When it was cloned would give you a better idea of hardware age.

Also the laptop and/or hard disk should have a sticker with the date it was tested. If that doesn't exist I'd be a little concerned.

We use Lenovo often for business and they have always seemed fairly good with a low percentage of failures but nature of the beast there will be duff m/cs.

As for Amazon, as much as I do not like how they treat employees, my wife bought a vacuum cleaner 9 months ago. It started to loose suction. She asked Amazon where to get it repaired. They sent a postage paid sticker to return it and within 48 hours the full cost was in my wife's bank account. So despite the delay hopefully you will not lose anything.

But all the best as these things can be so frustrating
El raton de watford

Flexo
Resident

Postby Flexo » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:08 pm

Lenovo is a budget brand, known to use the cheapest hardware available and has been cought at several occasions of installing spyware in BIOS. To use Lenovo for business is not a sign of good judgement.

Torrox_campo
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Torrox_campo » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:37 pm

A Chinese company who bought the IBM personal computer division in 2005. They started making Lenovo pc soon after. Yes they are budget PCs but to compete with others such as HP, Asus, Dell etc. they don't have much choice and they aren't my pick. I am surprised that the laptop didn't come ready to use, perhaps it was a refurbished item.

HarryJ
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby HarryJ » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:50 pm

My son bought one of their Laptops last September to quote him "Its garbage in every way and windows 10 is a nightmare".......He's had problem after problem...not impressed. We felt so sorry for him we got him a Macbook for Xmas....needless to say he's delighted,.

flyeogh
Resident

Postby flyeogh » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:55 pm

Flexo wrote:Lenovo is a budget brand, known to use the cheapest hardware available and has been cought at several occasions of installing spyware in BIOS. To use Lenovo for business is not a sign of good judgement.
Flexo you're entitled to your opinion of course but as you issue such a strong statement can you offer some thoughts on your experience, how many Lenovos you have used, and what you find so bad about them? While like many companies (probably most) they have withdrawn software that was exposed as a security risk I see no evidence for such a strong view. And bare in mind thay did withdraw it.

Torrex campo any Windows release not connected to the internet for a few weeks will be open to Microsoft downloading large volumes of updates. The only way around it is to use a supplier, there are many, who build on demand. As for refurbished 80% of our laptops are refurbished but that in no way impacts the software loaded on them. In truth the reality of refurbished is that our two regularly used suppliers will load exactly what we desire. And the price savings make them virtually disposable items. Over 10 years we have had one Lenovo hard disk failure and that was replaced by our supplier within 48 hours.

Please also remember that Lenovo are not responsible for Windows 10. There are two completely separate issues here. Any good supplier will offer a choice of O/S
El raton de watford

Torrox_campo
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Torrox_campo » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:57 pm

I don't think the OP was talking about updates but the actual windows 10 itself hence my guess "refurbished"! My pc did not connect to the net a few months but will not update unless I let it. Of course it is win 10 Pro and you do it in group policy but with my win 10 laptop you can stop the update with metering network.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:11 pm

Hi,
Nice balanced Post flyeogh.............. :D

Any System that's not specced for what you want to use it for will not perform ...........""Its garbage in every way and windows 10 is a nightmare"

The only "nightmare" Windows was Vista........the rest XP , Win 7 all good in their day... Win 10 settling down nicely now.

I'm betting the Macbook that HarryJ bought his lad is way up on spec from the Lenovo , helped by Dad's Budget.......... 8)

Paulinmalaga
Resident

Postby Paulinmalaga » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:14 pm

The security issues are still there, so much so the Pentagon recently warned staff not to use Lenovo machines.
I So Bella tis you

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:18 pm

Flexo wrote:Lenovo is a budget brand, known to use the cheapest hardware available
It's also the largest seller of PC's in the world. As already said, IBM sold its personal computer business to Lenovo - hence the Thinkpad name that is still used.

Sid

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:24 pm

Enrique wrote:Hi,

The only "nightmare" Windows was Vista........the rest XP , Win 7 all good in their day... Win 10 settling down nicely now.
Settling down quite nicely!!!! Well it's only been 18 months and updates by the bucket load :lolno: From memory windows 8 was a full blown nightmare also

flyeogh
Resident

Postby flyeogh » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:28 pm

Torrox_campo wrote:I don't think the OP was talking about updates but the actual windows 10 itself hence my guess "refurbished"! My pc did not connect to the net a few months but will not update unless I let it. Of course it is win 10 Pro and you do it in group policy but with my win 10 laptop you can stop the update with metering network.
Torrex_campo yes I see what you mean. But I've never seen a forced Windows 10 download but that may just be me :D Obviously (?) there must be a license key on the m/c so I wonder what OS (loosely termed) was downloading W10?

As you say group policy gives great control but for the home punter these things really shouldn't be such a hassle.

But without the m/c in our hands who knows. The good thing is I'm sure Amazon will refund or replace.

ps: As for naming and shaming the supplier (even by pm) I'm not sure based on one m/c that is very useful.
El raton de watford

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:01 pm

"ps: As for naming and shaming the supplier (even by pm) I'm not sure based on one m/c that is very useful."

Not interested in name and shame...........just would like to know what company ships a System that has to download the OS......

They (supplier) should at least point that out as not every user has superfast Broadband.

knowal
Resident

Postby knowal » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:14 pm

The new Lenovos, many of which come with solid state drives as standard, are extremely fast machines. Our church bought 4 of them and they function perfectly, although it would not have been my personal choice.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:22 am

No doubt they came with Stained Glass Windows 10?
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Flexo
Resident

Postby Flexo » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:36 am

flyeogh wrote:Flexo you're entitled to your opinion of course but as you issue such a strong statement can you offer some thoughts on your experience, how many Lenovos you have used, and what you find so bad about them?

Haven't really used them professionally, only tried them out but generally, they are rated in the lower end of the budget spectrum and the higher at the price-per-computational power spectrum, which makes them a bad choice. The primary reason however, is what you seem to neglect in the next part here:
While like many companies (probably most) they have withdrawn software that was exposed as a security risk I see no evidence for such a strong view. And bare in mind thay did withdraw it.
What they did was not to "fail to fix a security risk", they installed spyware in the BIOS, with the sole purpose of making ALL customers unable to remove their spyware. Whenever you removed it and restarted the computer, the spyware was installed again. That is a dealbreaker to me regardless if you use the computer for business or hobby, for yourself or for your kids. It is a fail of trust at a very basic level, much worse than "Dieselgate" or what have you.

People buy Lenovo because they seem cheap but if you look at what you actually get you quite often pay more than what it is worth.

Flexo
Resident

Postby Flexo » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:40 am

El Cid wrote:
Flexo wrote:Lenovo is a budget brand, known to use the cheapest hardware available
It's also the largest seller of PC's in the world. As already said, IBM sold its personal computer business to Lenovo - hence the Thinkpad name that is still used.
Yeah, but since how many years have IBM been relevant in any area except accessories like keyboards.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:51 am

I just bought a new netbook laptop, sticking to HP which I had before. I did find it a bit cheaper on Amazon but bought it in the end from Worten as I wanted to be able to take it back easily if necessary.

I am surprised that your new one didn't already come with Windows 10 installed - the computers I have bought before all came ready installed. I just had to turn it on and away I went. I have since changed it to the English version but so far (touch wood) I haven't found it too much different from using Win7. Perhaps that's because I only I use Chrome for surfing the net and the photo progams that are already on it, ie nothing particularly complicated.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:17 am

Flexo wrote:
El Cid wrote:
Yeah, but since how many years have IBM been relevant in any area except accessories like keyboards.
That's good to know. Since they turned over $81 billion last year that must be a lot of keyboards.

Sid