Best TV

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
morlandg
Resident

Best TV

Postby morlandg » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:20 pm

Hi - looks like I need a new TV. My current one has developed a black strip down the centre of the screen. I know it's been asked many times before but - what's the best value TV atm? I guess the specs would be - max 50" screen, ?4K, ?3D, ?curved, ? chromecast......anything else??

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Best TV

Postby El Cid » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:16 pm

Buy Samsung if you want the best choice of UK catch-up channels. 3D is dead and most manufacturers are now dropping it. Curved screen looks nice and makes a big black rectangle in the corner look a bit more attractive but does little to improve the viewing experience unless a very big screen (60"+). 4K gives a better picture even with only HD sources and with a 4K source is fantastic.

Buy the biggest that will fit and don't waste money on fancy facilities you don't need. You can easily spend twice as much on a similar set and get little more for your money.

Sid

morlandg
Resident

Postby morlandg » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:40 pm

Thanks Sid - what you recommend makes a lot of sense. I'm not into catch-up but I'll still look at Samsung, non 3D , flat and 4K. Graham

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:24 am

Don’t buy a curve screen. Waste of money.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:06 pm

I like my curved screen. There are no technical benefits but it looks nicer than a flat screen.