Am I being hacked

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
john the baptist
Resident

Am I being hacked

Postby john the baptist » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:00 am

Hi i think someone is stealing my wifi, bloody neighbours.

At times its practically non existent and we are all getting strange messages like other devices are logged onto out network with the same ID. I don't really understand it but i dont want to subsidise my neighbours.

thank

JB

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Re: Am I being hacked

Postby Enrique » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:16 am

Hi john the baptist,

Some light reading on ways to find out ................

http://www.online-tech-tips.com/softwar ... rity-tool/

Post edited to reflect quicker way to find out if any leeches on your Network........... 8)
Last edited by Enrique on Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:08 am, edited 4 times in total.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:23 am

A lot of the older routers in Spain never had password protection. All new ones from around 2015 do. How old is your router? Ring your supplier and ask for a new modern router.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:56 am

Quickest way to check download the free trial .............picks up smartphones too

https://www.softperfect.com/products/networkscanner/

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:16 am

I use this, very simple to use, free. But as others said definitely change your Router password and reboot

http://whoisonmywifi.com/macosx/
http://whoisonmywifi.com/windows/

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:31 pm

Good call firsttango.........just what JB needs...........

Using...............

http://whoisonmywifi.com/windows/

Do a scan, confirm the IP's belong to you, change to Known and Save.

When any new devices come on to your network you get a voice check and can view the "new" log............. :D

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:38 pm

Yes you can also "edit" description so you can easily see at a glance which of your devices are connected by naming them ie Nowtv Box, iphone etc....really easy simple and effective.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:49 pm

Just tried whoisonmywifi and it didn't detect my 2 smartphones or Nowtv box all connected to my WiFi.
Have Fing installed on one of my smartphones and that shows exactly what is connected to my WiFi.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

ebbnflow
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ebbnflow » Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:09 pm

Routers have there own physical "address" (typed into your normal top internet search bar) that is accessable from, at least, the main computer on the system if not all devices with permission. A password is required for this. If you do not have the address for your router , obtain it from your provider.
For safety I have only the physically wired PC with such permission.

Once in you can change passwords, settings etc but most importantly monitor all devices connected to your network. The devices will show their "MAC" identification numbers or sometimes what the user has called their device. Once you have decided which ones are yours (you can usually rename them to something more useful like "Steve's phone") you can then block the invaders!

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:19 pm

Can only say from personal use for a year or so that http://whoisonmywifi.com has worked exactly as advertised, never once not found a device.

What about you Enrique?

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:15 pm

Hi firsttango
Glad it works for you.
Perhaps I'm doing something wrong in the way I have used it.
Hate to think that someone who is being hacked uses it in the same way as I have and it doesn't show all connected devices and they miss the fact that they are being hacked.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

jhonie99
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jhonie99 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:02 pm

john the baptist wrote:Hi i think someone is stealing my wifi, bloody neighbours.

At times its practically non existent and we are all getting strange messages like other devices are logged onto out network with the same ID. I don't really understand it but i dont want to subsidise my neighbours.

thank

JB
No need to check if someone is using your connection, simply ensure that your security settings are sufficient to prevent it.

Access your router settings...usually 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.2.1, etc. refer to manual for actual details.

Once there...........do the following.............

change security to be WPA with AES (should be obvious when your in there).

choose a totally random password.....20 or 30 alphanumerics, no words or names as WPA can be decoded by brute force otherwise.

most important....................DISABLE WPS......DISABLE WPS.

save and job done.

If u do this it makes life considerably more difficult for strangers to access your wifi. I lived off "neighbours" for about a decade, lol.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:16 pm

Presume typo in above Post..............WPA

WPA has, as of 2006, been officially superseded by WPA2. One of the most significant changes between WPA and WPA2 was the mandatory use of AES algorithms and the introduction of CCMP (Counter Cipher Mode with Block Chaining Message Authentication Code Protocol) as a replacement for TKIP (still preserved in WPA2 as a fallback system and for interoperability with WPA).

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:22 pm

jhonie99 wrote:
john the baptist wrote:Hi i think someone is stealing my wifi, bloody neighbours.

thank

JB
No need to check if someone is using your connection, simply ensure that your security settings are sufficient to prevent it.

Access your router settings...usually 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.2.1, etc. refer to manual for actual details.

Once there...........do the following.............

change security to be WPA with AES (should be obvious when your in there).

choose a totally random password.....20 or 30 alphanumerics, no words or names as WPA can be decoded by brute force otherwise.

most important....................DISABLE WPS......DISABLE WPS.

save and job done.

If u do this it makes life considerably more difficult for strangers to access your wifi. I lived off "neighbours" for about a decade, lol.
Unless you secure the access to your ROUTER all the above can be changed by anyone wishing to hack into your network and in theory lock you out

ebbnflow
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ebbnflow » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:17 pm

I was just having another look at my routers settings and it has a new feature. If someone does get past your security settings (actually not that difficult), instead of blocking unfamiliar MACs as I stated above, you choose "Enable MAC filtering", fill in all of your family's devices MAC addresses and that's all that can connect. Every other MAC will be denied access.

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:32 pm

I would read this before you go that route as its simply not a security feature the way you think it is

" All an attacker has to do is monitor your Wi-Fi traffic for a second or two, examine a packet to find the MAC address of an allowed device, change their device’s MAC address to that allowed MAC address, and connect in that device’s place".

https://www.howtogeek.com/204458/why-yo ... fi-router/

ebbnflow
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ebbnflow » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:26 pm

Yep, that's quite true. IFAIK we now have a reasonable list amongst the posts of the precautions to take. The more difficult you make it for someone to hack in the more likely said hacker will move on to someone elses network :wink:

Without some pretty serious software and hardware a determined hacker WILL get in but not every neighbour is a "black hat" thankfully. The casual hacker will always go for the weakest target.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:17 pm

Hi firsttango,
Yes working for me, picks up any device I fire up..............but interestingly an unknown device pops up again this evening and I didn't fire it up................... :shock:

The dogs not giving any indication that anyone is close by either............ :?

Wonder how the OP is getting on................. :?:

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:36 pm

Was it the first time it had seen the device?
When I first used it over a year ago it picked up everything and i religiously named them in the "description" column but 12 were accounted for leaving one "unknown" wracked my brains for two days, drove me nuts then I realised I'd overlooked a tp link extender DOH!

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:43 pm

Not first time it popped up, was about same time last night , as I'm locked down apart from one device out in the wild (a neighbour homework project), a password change will sort it out.

inSSIDer 3 is good for seeing what networks /extenders are about and matching MAC addresses.