Spantel.

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
mhic
Andalucia Guru

Spantel.

Postby mhic » Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:52 pm

Anyone know anything about this firm Spantel. They are advertising a 2mb adsl line plus calls within the EU for not much more than I currently pay telefonica just for adsl. Have not yet managed to access their website to get any more details, problem with my firewall I think.

Mhic.

pigs-might-fly
Andalucia Guru

Postby pigs-might-fly » Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:46 pm

Lots of their website content is Flash - YUK Make sure that if you are running a browser/flash blocker that it is set to "show flash " on this site!"
As far as the offers go - all the ISPs say "subject to area coverage" or similar. Not all ADSL enabled exchanges can yet handle speeds of more than 1MB!
They do however have a very good technical help line in English if required. Their customer service/general enquiry lines are constantly busy with annoying "please wait" type messages.
Best to sign up on line if you can get into their web site!

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:51 pm

If it seems to good to be true it probably is. This is the response I got when I visited their web site:

The telephone number dialled does not have coverage for ADSL 2 Mb. y 24h Llamadas. However, the ADSL services that do have coverage as regards the number you wish to dial are indicated below. If you would like to activate any of these products, simply click on 'Sign Up'.

ADSL 1Mb. € 39.95
ADSL 1Mb. y 24h llamadas € 39.95
ADSL 1 Mb + llamadas UE € 41.95

The link is here but it initially takes you to the page where you have to enter your telephone number which may lead to some cold calling.

You can see that the prices for a 1mbps connection are exactly the same as Telefónica so what you have to do to qualify for their offer heaven only knows!

It is obviously some kind of introductory offer which will then rocket in price after a month or two.

meseta
Andalucia.com Amigo

Article in this week's Town Crier

Postby meseta » Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:27 am

With thanks to ' The Town Crier' , 13 Feb 2006

"GOVT TO CRACK DOWN ON BROADBAND COMPANIES

The government is to tighten controls on broad band companies after receiving an increasing number of complaints through its Consumer Protection Office about misleading advertising and being disconnected without their consent. In a typical complaint, one man said that when Wannadoo rang him to offer him its broad band service and unlimited free calls for 25 euros a month, he asked them to send him the conditions and contract in writing, He then discovered he was no longer connected to the Internet and when he rang Telefonica, he was told that Wannadoo had ordered him to be disconnected. It took him weeks to get the service back. Consumers also complain about Jazztel and Ya.com, and to a lesser extent, Telefonica. "

Interesting to note that Spantel is NOT mentioned !

mhic
Andalucia Guru

Postby mhic » Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:27 am

Thanks for the replies.

I think I'll give it a miss for the time being.

Mhic.

keddyboy
Resident

Postby keddyboy » Sun Feb 19, 2006 12:15 pm

Mhic,
Dont touch them. I used them once and ended up considering court action. They send the equipment to anybody and I mean that. The system they sent me went to a British T shirt company miles away, dont ask me how but it did. They have no customer care whatsoever. And if its any use to you dont go to Zonebroadband Satellite Systems as they have just gone bust and yes I was with them. I must be a Johnna to the broadband world!!!
Keddyboy
Never do today what you can leave until tomorrow.

brenda
Resident

Postby brenda » Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:16 pm

Mick - leave well alone! Hope to see you soon for that meal we keep promising! P.S. hope you recieved email re. B+B. Brenda + Ian

mhic
Andalucia Guru

Postby mhic » Sun Feb 19, 2006 4:18 pm

Thanks for that keddyboy, I'll stay clear and stick with Telefonica.

Mhic.

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Sun Feb 19, 2006 6:53 pm

I phoned them once about an offer they had which was advertised on boardings all along the motorway. Took me weeks to get a reply and when I did they said that offer was no longer available!

cjbulow
Tourist

Postby cjbulow » Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:05 pm

patricia wrote:I phoned them once about an offer they had which was advertised on boardings all along the motorway. Took me weeks to get a reply and when I did they said that offer was no longer available!
This lady Jane Parrilla [mailto:[email protected]] has been helpful recently. I've no connection to the company.
Regds

Chris Bulow
callto://cjbulow

carlos

Postby carlos » Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:14 am

I've no connection with this company either... but I requested this ADSL after seeing the ad on a newspaper here in the Costa del Sol and it's been working great so far. However, it is true that their lines are often busy but I finally reached some of their english-speaking staff.

Guess no other operator is offering a similar product, anyway...

pigs-might-fly
Andalucia Guru

Postby pigs-might-fly » Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:09 am

I am very happy with Spantel, whose dial-up service I use as our telephone exchange is not ADSL enabled!
Their help-line (not the general customer service number) is usually available and in English, too!
I will stay with them when ADSL does become available, just for the English language help.
I do not and will not use their telephone services as I have a MUCH better deal with Fonicatel.

Mariamartinez
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Mariamartinez » Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:44 am

Dear all!

I do not know about Spantel, but if you do not live in the CAMPO there is a new offer placed by TELE2. They have now their own lines, independent from Telefonica. I have worked with them in the past and it all goes so smooth and cheap. Otherwise for Internet in the CAMPO, there is a new system, state of the art, WIMAX in the area.