Electric & Water Connection Problems

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
jogger
Resident

Electric & Water Connection Problems

Postby jogger » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:41 pm

So we bought our house back in mid January and we are still waiting to have our water and electricity connected. The house was a repossession which had never been occupied and one of a terrace. We thought it would have been straight forward but the solicitor said she had a problem with the electricity company not being able to find the address, even though they have already connected a number of houses in the terrace. We are also still waiting on the water to be connected, again all the rest of the terrace are connected. There is also a few structural problems, the roof terrace has blown but next door had the same and the bank's insurance company came out and have admitted liability, so it looks like they will get it repaired or compensation, we had the inspector out yesterday and are hoping we will get the same result as our neighbour but how long will we have to wait for the repairs?
With regards to the electric, this week the solicitor's office called to say we now have a contract and should have a meter installed within the next two weeks. Again is this the normal time to get connected once a contract is issued? As far as the water is concerned we are still in the dark but really we are at the mercy of the companies or our solicitor. We are due over in ten days, I had heard that Spanish bureaucracy was bad , however this is nuts.

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Re: Electric & Water Connection Problems

Postby TorreDelAguila » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:06 am

Neither of these delays should be happening. It sounds as if the solicitor is not doing their job properly in getting contracts opened. Are you dealing with a Spanish solicitor direct, or via a UK one or a translator/agent?
Chris

jogger
Resident

Postby jogger » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:26 am

We are dealing with a Spanish solicitor direct who speaks very good English.

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:11 pm

If you have a Spanish bank account open, and an NIE number, it should be straightforward.
Try giving the solicitor an absolute deadline.
Chris

jogger
Resident

Postby jogger » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:17 pm

Yip, we have all taht and I did say I needed it all connected for our visit. We enjoyed a drink and tapas in the square in Sayalonga and very nice it was too.

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:15 am

Years ago, I used to enjoy a beer or two (and a good few meetings at County Hall) in Chichester. Lived and worked in West Sussex for a long time.
Chris

morlandg
Resident

Postby morlandg » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:41 am

Jogger - do you by any chance know what the costs of connecting the water and electricity are going to be?

jogger
Resident

Postby jogger » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:08 pm

I'm sorry morlandg I've got no idea but I don't think it's an horrendous amount of money, well I hope not.

jogger
Resident

Postby jogger » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:34 pm

We now have electric and apparently the water will be on tomorrow.

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:19 am

Result! Good news.
What did you have to do to speed things up?
Chris