Amazon fire tv box

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Re: Amazon fire tv box

Postby firsttango » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:12 pm

TVPlayer App works perfectly on an Android Box :wave:

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:20 pm

northandsouth wrote:Yes of course you did but you were also talking about android boxes not working with tvp, all I was referring to is that the Fire tv box is basically an android box and it works that's all. :thumbup:

I think the clue here is the word 'basically'. Yes underlying Amazon's OS is android albeit highly modified and slimmed down to fit Amazon's requirements of a device that sits in the living room streaming Amazon Prime TV. Also for this reason the hardware is Amazon (or subcontractor) designed to fulfil that roll, ie whats the point of adding physical GPS functionality (and all the other sensors that normal android supports) to a device that is never going anywhere, or needs to auto-rotate the screen and so on, That costs money and of course they want to minimise the price for the mass market.

I'm not saying that my conjecture is correct, but the same app runs on one box and not the other, then there must be a difference between the two platforms that account for this difference in behaviour. What I originally wrote seems to me to be very plausable, especially given that on the android box tvp forces you to enable location whereas on the firestick it doesn't, relying I guess on what location information it can glean from your IP address, which is faked due to VPN or DNS service. I spent some time thinking about this as it was a puzzle and I like don't like unresolved puzzles. But in the end there are so many good alternatives to TVP that I just uninstalled it from my Android TV box to save memory space. I am more than happy to be proved wrong if someone comes up with a better reason. Still use it on my firestick as a backup.

Most androids have a developer setting to enable false locations, and there are plenty of apps that enable you to set whatever location you wish. There may be some mileage in trying to fake your location to somewhere in the UK. But then again if TVP is smart enough it may well also catch that workaround and still refuse to work. Haven't tried it as I didn't want to interfere with what is now after much fiddling around a stable setup, and as I said there are plenty of alternatives.
Regards

Bob

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:24 pm

Nope the tvplayer does Not force you to enable location simply installed the App on Android box and it Works as it should....no pfaffing about, doesn't ask for location-gps-postcode ...nada Just opens up and Works

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:07 pm

It may not do that on your particular box. There are a gazillion varieties of Android boxes around. You'l find that there will be multiple versions of any particular model box due to hardware and firmware cloning which aren't necessarily identical copies . To be honest If TVP works for you right now then that's great. Keep on watching. For me it used to work, but now doesn't on any of the five functional android boxes that I currently have at my disposal. Not a big deal as there are plenty of alternatives. If I really want to use tvp then it works on the firestick and I'll use that..
Regards

Bob

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:14 pm

Simply pointing out you're post was not accurate in saying TVplayer App doesn't work on an Android box regardless of how many you have at your disposal the App WORKS on Android boxes simple as that......saying it doesn't is just Incorrect.

HarryJ
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby HarryJ » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:21 pm

I have 2 Android boxes (different models) In bedroom and Lounge and have been using the Tv Player App for ages without any issues at all, in fact it works a treat and will be watching the F1 qualifying highlights on it shortly. So as First Tango says it most certainly does work on an ANDROID box...no question about it.

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:36 pm

firsttango wrote:Simply pointing out you're post was not accurate in saying TVplayer App doesn't work on an Android box regardless of how many you have at your disposal the App WORKS on Android boxes simple as that......saying it doesn't is just Incorrect.
I never actually said that it doesn't work on ALL android boxes. Seems that some it does and on the ones I have it doesn't, including a brand new T95z Plus which arrived yesterday and tvp was one of the first apps installed from the playstore.

Like I did say if it currently works for you then great. Enjoy it.
Regards

Bob

Mike Lytt
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Mike Lytt » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:43 pm

Mmmmmm Casa Bonita the gist of your posts quite clearly state that the TVplayer app didn't work on an Android box as a platform, you went into great techie waffle as to why, however, you were quite obviously WRONG. So just accept it and move on. BTW it works no problem on my Android boxes.

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:59 pm

As I said in previous post, if it works for YOU on YOUR android box then great, enjoy it. I have plenty of alternative ways to watch UK TV, hence I no longer waste memory space on this app.

Thread closed as far as I'm concerned. :D
Regards

Bob

Mike Lytt
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Mike Lytt » Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:09 pm

So has everyone else.....you are not alone, however, in this case your post was inaccurate. You no longer waste memory on this app yet you state that yesterday its the first app you loaded on your new android box :crazy:

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:59 pm

Have to have the last word eh????

I did use TVP previously so I wanted to see if it worked on the new box in case it was an issue with the current box... It doesn't work on the new one. But then my reasons for installing it have nothing to do with you.

Check the version you are running. Android was updated to 3.38 in the playstore on the 28th feb, which was around the sort of time that it stopped working for me.. Firestick is 3.1.10

Again as I said in a previous end of discussion from me. Enjoy it while it works.
Regards

Bob

HarryJ
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby HarryJ » Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:14 pm

casita-bonita wrote: Thread closed as far as I'm concerned. :D
Another inaccurate statement :wave: Give it up fella....you were obviously wrong and the app works on Android as other posters testify.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:20 pm

This thread has clearly run its course.

I am closing it.

Sid