HOTMAIL OR OUTLOOK!

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
patricia
Andalucia Guru

HOTMAIL OR OUTLOOK!

Postby patricia » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:00 pm

I know I have complained about Hotmail and Outlook before, but now there is an irritating choice between "Focused" and "other" :wtf: What is the point of that! Who cares as long as you can see your posts quickly and easy which isnt easy when you have to choose and you wonder why there are no posts and that is because you have made the wrong choice :evil:
Torrox Costa "El mejor clima de Europa"

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Re: HOTMAIL OR OUTLOOK!

Postby Miro » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:16 pm

Maybe for people with busier lives than mine find all this "focused" and "other" filtering useful, but I find it bloody annoying. The Outlook app on my phone defaulted to show only "focused" e-mails some time in the last few days, and I've been missing ALL my e-mails. Clearly, Outlook doesn't think my life is very focused. :evil:
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:57 pm

Miro wrote:Maybe for people with busier lives than mine find all this "focused" and "other" filtering useful, but I find it bloody annoying. The Outlook app on my phone defaulted to show only "focused" e-mails some time in the last few days, and I've been missing ALL my e-mails. Clearly, Outlook doesn't think my life is very focused. :evil:
I agree it is awful and what good is it. And then you scrawl down and find "other emails". I cannot make it out. What use is it! I cannot figure it out at all. Totally useless piece of technology! :thumbdown: and what emails are "focused" and what are "other"! :evil: :twisted:

I had a pocket pop out which asked me what I thought of it and I gave them a piece of my mind, but it obviously hasnt done any good! :|

We will get Enrique onto it, he will sort them out :D

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:57 pm

Wait , there are more delights to come. Some whizz kid has decided that the product that worked perfectly well before, has changed thngs in the sent mail dept. Mails you send frequently are there. One offs vanish. So you send an important email to a company and when they fail to respond you have no copy to refer to. As ever if you spend a few hours/days of your life you can change the rules and have everything in your sent box.....

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:48 pm

olive wrote:Wait , there are more delights to come. Some whizz kid has decided that the product that worked perfectly well before, has changed thngs in the sent mail dept. Mails you send frequently are there. One offs vanish. So you send an important email to a company and when they fail to respond you have no copy to refer to. As ever if you spend a few hours/days of your life you can change the rules and have everything in your sent box.....
I have found that a lot of my emails that I saved have disappeared! It all a "bally" nuisance and I feel that I wish I had followed Enriques advice about pulling the emails over to Gmail and at last the would be save. :evil: Still never too late and I may do that tomorrow. Thanks for that advicae Olive :thumbup:

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:56 pm

All this focused business is basically Microsoft trying to follow Google's lead. Personally, I find Gmail even more muddled, and the only reason I persevere with Outlook

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:02 pm

Well I do not know how it is supposed to work. The notification for this threat was in the "other" so what is "focused" No I just thought I would pull over the files so that they do not get deleted a lot of my files I saved have been emptied!

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:24 pm

Primary, social, focused, promotions.....What a mess!

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:46 pm

Is this happening on your smart phones ? I haven't noticed it on my pc (yet ;-) )
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:18 am

I'm using the Outlook Android app on my mobile, but my Hotmail account is also linked to my Google account so I get two notifications for every email (one from Outlook & one from Gmail) which is quite annoying - but the Outlook app is not 100% reliable, so it's a handy backup. Both apps have these annoying filters and preferences, and as mentioned before, Outlook defaulted at some point back to only showing my "focused" messages (who decides what's focused??) so had I not been using Gmail as well, I would have simply missed all other messages. But I can't stand the Gmail interface, it's way too fussy. On my PC I still prefer to use Windows Live Mail 2012 (despite assurances from MS that it was being decommissioned) because, well, basically, it ain't broke and it's always worked fine for me, so why change? The W10 Mail app is OK, but just not as simple and clear as the old Live Mail for me. When I'm on my PC, I don't want to feel like I'm basically just using a big mobile phone, and I don't care for the new "apps" that seem to be replacing "programs".

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:32 am

I spoke too soon - when I turned my pc on this morning & logged into Outlook - there it was - 'Focused' & 'Other' :-( . There was only one email, from a place I regularly get emails from, and it was in the 'Other' box ! I've filled in the 'feedback' form, saying I don't like it & I don't want it - and how can I remove it, but somehow I don't think there's going to be an option :-(

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:41 am

chrissiehope wrote:I spoke too soon - when I turned my pc on this morning & logged into Outlook - there it was - 'Focused' & 'Other' :-( . There was only one email, from a place I regularly get emails from, and it was in the 'Other' box ! I've filled in the 'feedback' form, saying I don't like it & I don't want it - and how can I remove it, but somehow I don't think there's going to be an option :-(
No I have had no reply from the feedback I gave and I do not think they will take the slightest bit of notice. I do not even understand what it is for and as Miro has said who decided what is "focused" and "other"! Most annoying :evil:

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:23 am

Just turn it off in settings. You can decide to sort the inbox into Focused or other, or you can do neither.

Go to Settings, Options, Layout, Focused Inbox.

Sid

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:07 am

Thanks Sid, that's very useful :-) . I had to restart my pc and when I went to Outlook, the Focused/Other bit wasn't there any more, so I don't know what's going on, but long may it last !!

ebbnflow
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ebbnflow » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:57 am

El Cid wrote:Just turn it off in settings. You can decide to sort the inbox into Focused or other, or you can do neither.

Go to Settings, Options, Layout, Focused Inbox.

Sid
Beat me to it! Both outlook and gmail can give strange problems especially after an update. I use both and have them linked so that if one has gone "boggy" I can use the other. Just turn off notifications in the one you use as backup until you need it.

Latest problem I had was outlook wouldn't attach files, nip over to gmail and I'm sorted. Same goes for the PC.

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:51 pm

That is useful to know. Thanks Sid

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:57 pm

I have done that. Thank god no more "other" and "focused" :thumbup: