Authentic Paella

Looking for a good recipe for gazpacho soup, how to make a good tinto de verano, local exhibitions and where to hear good jazz? Post your query here to find out more.
Mike Lytt
Andalucia.com Amigo

Authentic Paella

Postby Mike Lytt » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:44 pm

Any recommendations for an Authentic Paella between Malaga and Nerja. I was recently taken for a sunday lunch at a beach Chringuito in Nerja called Ayo's and quite frankly it was appalling in virtually every respect of the cuisine, the only good thing about it was the weather and location. The paella was about as Authentic as a findus frozen dinner. Hence my question. I did have an excellent one many many years ago on the beach in Herradura at a place called ? De Chambao anyone know if its still there? As I recall it was at the far end of the beach.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Authentic Paella

Postby El Cid » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:15 pm

Yes, it's still there.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_ ... lucia.html

Overpriced and touristy.

I agree with you about Ayo's. Biggest load of rubbish but many people rate it - I cannot imagine why.

Of course, what constitutes an "authentic" paella is a subject of some debate, but you won't find one down here! The original comes from Valencia and is nothing like the touristy ones you normally see. They are best described as a "paella mixta" with seafood and meat, but they are none the worse for that.

As I always cook my own paellas I never eat one elsewhere so that makes it difficult to make a valid recommendation. However, in La Herradura I would expect " Nuevo Arenas" or "Las Sardinas" to make a decent one, based on my experience of their other food.

Sid

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:28 am

My wife who is English makes the best paella I’ve had. It knocks spots of the tourist crap they sell at most beach bars. I had a descent one at an inland restaurant a few years ago.
I would try a venta inland if i was you.

Mike Lytt
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Mike Lytt » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:28 am

Thanks Sid, agreed the ones I've experienced in the Valencia region are a whole different thing. Very saddened to see that Joachim de Chambao is now very touristy and as such caters to that. Casting my mind back it must have been around 1985 when I went first and back then it was very "Spanish". Not a multi language menu in sight. But will give the ones you mention a try at some point soon.
As you say some people rate Ayo's but for the life of me I cant see why.....to me it was greasy food for the masses.....

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:24 pm

It's because it's as much as you can eat and a certain type of person rate food establishments on quantity rather than quality. how many times do you hear "it's great got a massive plateful" or words to that effect. The Spanish certainly eat with their eyes, as do the Germans.

maureenscot
Resident

Postby maureenscot » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:22 pm

I read somewhere that one of the lads who discovered the caves was given a Chiringuito by the local council and that he has been cooking paella there for decades. Have never eaten there and cannot remember the name. Maybe somebody on here can?

Mike Lytt
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Mike Lytt » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:33 pm

AYO'S but its a myth allegedly

" Ayo's involvement with the Caves' discovery has become distorted over time. His first visit to the caverns was much later - on April 14, 1959 - the same day on which the first inside photos were taken by José Padial. These later appeared in the local paper under the headlines "Cave of Wonders."

Ayo's place on Burriana has no connection to the Caves. I believe that he originally worked for another merendero on the beach (La Barca) whose boss lent him the money to set up his own business. But that may just be (yet) another Nerja myth ...

There is a plaque The names on the plaque are:
Francisco Navas Montesinos, José Torres Cárdenas, Miguel Muñoz Zorrilla, José Luis Barbero de Miguel and Manuel Muñoz Zorrilla.

Ayo's real name is apparently Francisco Ortega Olalla. Not on the list, so myth it must be"

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:16 pm

I basically agree with costakid: Authentic paella" is a very broad ranging description, because of course every region has a different recipe, I agree with costakid insofar as My paella is far superior in every way to anything I've ever eaten that was prepared by a Spanish chef, in my opinion Spanish prepared Paellas lack taste and definition, that's why I never eat them, I have however been asked on a number of occasions for my recipe and occasionally demonstrations of how to prepare this dish.
We should also remember that culinary levels of excellence in Spain are often way below what we expect in other areas of "developed" Europe.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:15 pm

Really?

Spain has more than twice as many 3 star restaurants than the UK.

Also, if you never eat Spanish Paellas, how exactly do you know what they taste like.

If your Paella recipe is so good, perhaps you would share it with us.

Sid

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:37 pm

Afew years ago on holiday with friends at our casa, my son made paella for the first time - everyone said it was the best they had ever tasted.
On another occasion he made gazpacho so good that an elderly Spanish guest went back for a further three helpings :-)

Useful chap to have around ;-) !!
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:08 am

would you mind asking your talented son for the recipy for both but especially the paella?

many thanks..

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:45 am

I've eaten Paella in many different regions of Spain and Southern France, all different but no complaints from me.
As with many traditional meals they would have been made with ingredients available on that particular day, so do vary, and although I've not enjoyed all foods on offer in Spain I have found them all tasty, wholesome and interesting.

Regards,
Gordon the Gourmet... :wave:

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:28 pm

wollie - it was a few years ago, so I don't know if he still has it - I will check & come back :-)
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:46 pm

Manchesteral wrote:I basically agree with costakid: Authentic paella" is a very broad ranging description, because of course every region has a different recipe, I agree with costakid insofar as My paella is far superior in every way to anything I've ever eaten that was prepared by a Spanish chef, in my opinion Spanish prepared Paellas lack taste and definition, that's why I never eat them, I have however been asked on a number of occasions for my recipe and occasionally demonstrations of how to prepare this dish.
We should also remember that culinary levels of excellence in Spain are often way below what we expect in other areas of "developed" Europe.
I too find that opinion very strange. This area is world renowned for its resturants and cusine and Spain on the whole is known for good food.
There are two TV programmes on the at moment that explores Spanish food
'The trip to Spain' With Rob Brydon and Steve Coogan on Sky is one and the other can be seen on Channel 5 'SPECTACULAR SPAIN WITH ALEX POLIZZI'
The second episode has a segment regarding the the history of paella history and how to cook authentic paella.

http://www.channel5.com/show/spectacula ... x-polizzi/

That said, I prefer a version my wife makes with chicken to a seafood one and nothing beats the steak pie, mash, greens and lashings of gravy my wife served up this lunchtime.

Paulinmalaga
Resident

Postby Paulinmalaga » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:16 pm

I was once told by a very old Spaniard that a true authentic Paella must include Snails and green beans, how true that is I don't know
I So Bella tis you

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:32 pm

In Valencia they are very protective of their Paella. Jamie Oliver was critisied for coming up with a reciepe with chorizo. Most Spaniads I know call any rice dish Paella. From Chinese to Resotto, although translated literally, what that they probally mean is a Paella type dish.

I wonder what they would say if they knew he was producing UK made chorizo as well in his shops.

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:02 pm

[quote="El Cid"]Really?

Spain has more than twice as many 3 star restaurants than the UK.

Also, if you never eat Spanish Paellas, how exactly do you know what they taste like.

If your Paella recipe is so good, perhaps you would share it with us.

Sid[/quote

Spain actually has 9 Michelin 3 starred restaurant and Uk 4, as I said in my earlier post Culinary standards in Spain, in my opinion are way below those of many other places in Europe so perhaps what is rated 3 stars in Spain may actually only actually be 1 or 2 stars elsewhere.

I've been a qualified cook for 45 years and I know the difference between good food and bad.

I can also testify through long experience that often the food in so called starred restaurants is equalled by many others who have no official rating so in reality the michelin rating system is outdated an irrelevant in my professional opinion and I have many peers, throughout the world who agree with me, for my money the best living chef today is Marc Pierre White, who does in fact have a a Michelin 3 starred restaurant (although I would never pay his prices).

My favorite restaurant in Las Palmas "El Gallo Feliz" is excellent and busy every day, throughout the day with the majority of customers being local Canarians, they have only 1 or 2 "Spanish" dishes the rest being French, Italian or British, they have the best fish n chips I've eaten for a long time and it's run by Canarians!

Of course I've eaten Spanish Style Paella on 2 occasions and been disappointed both times, that's why I devised my own recipe which has been sampled and enjoyed by a number of my Spanish and Canarian friends.

At some stage I may post my own recipe but right now I can't be bothered.

The above comments are only my opinions as are yours and anyone else who may have commented!

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:08 pm

As an afterthought I would add that Spanish style paella often does not contain Saffron but a cheap substitute such as turmeric.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:47 pm

It's not likely to be turmeric - more likely it is food colouring. Turmeric would affect the taste too much and Colorante is cheaper.

Sid

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:05 pm

Manchesteral wrote:As an afterthought I would add that Spanish style paella often does not contain Saffron but a cheap substitute such as turmeric.
Yep, it's the little box of colourant they use. Guaranteed to put me off as soon as I smell it, let alone taste it. I reckon asking what an authentic paella is would be similar to asking what an authentic pizza is.

Funny thing is I never hear our Spanish friends or any locals ever mention Paella, even the big catering pans they use at the ferria's they and the locals call it simply arroz, even though it has prawns, chicken/rabbit and the lot lobbed in.

As for UK v Spain and which is the best (sigh), I'm sure there are some superb places in Madrid, Barcelona etc but much of the cuisine is wishy washy bland, irrespective of the total number of 3 stars the country has. As Al says there are many superb gastro pubs and country restaurants with not a star amongst them but serving up very special food indeed.

We spend a lot of time in Malage centro and picking a bloody good restaurant for the evening would be far easier in even Manchester or Liverpool, let alone London. Too much of the same is on offer with very few variants IMHO.
Having said that we've found a couple of truly nice places there, and importantly the atmosphere is fantastic which sometimes is bordering on as important as the food to make for a great evening.
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.