KODI

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
dxf
Resident

Re: KODI

Postby dxf » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:30 pm

Hola

Lets get this out in the open shall we

Owning an Android box is not illegal
Loading Kodi or similar is not illegal
viewing whatever over the internet is not illegal

What is illegal is
recording programs on digital media
broadcasting to an audience whether paying or not
selling fully loaded box ready to play

You can use it in your own home to let your family view

DAvexf

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:55 pm

So you are saying that viewing copyrighted via content pirated streams is legal? if that's your opinion so be it.

However, going back to White's post which pointed out that using certain sites add-ons etc. can be risky. Perfectly reasonable to point out seeing as Kodi also recommend not using them as well.

http://kodi.wiki/view/Official:Forum_ru ... ed_add-ons
BTW, i've never been a fan of Kodi or its forerunners, which I first tried out as far back as when I lived in the UK. It never seems to work properly half the time.
Last edited by markwilding on Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

HarryJ
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby HarryJ » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:07 am

markwilding wrote:So you are saying that viewing copyrighted content is legal? if that's your opinion so be it.
Yes Mark it is perfectly legal, not just my opinion but the Opinion of Court of Justice of the European Union (CJEU) which categorically makes your statement "Watching films and EPL is illegal without subscribing". completely wrong and wildly inaccurate.

https://kodicommunity.com/streaming-pir ... -is-legal/

"Since then, the CJEU was asked to clarify whether these existing EU copyright exemptions also apply to viewing and streaming videos online. The court said that streaming videos is different to making a copy, so is also exempt from copyright laws.
Of course, the owners and operators of the streaming services which make this copyright protected content available are breaking the law and can be prosecuted, but as a viewer and streamer you are not breaking any European law".

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:35 am

All that said, what about whitehorse's original point. Is that not important?

HarryJ
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby HarryJ » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:42 am

Totally, but asked and answered by whitehorse, no further comment needed.

Simply correcting your inaccurate post

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:47 am

HarryJ wrote:
White Horse wrote:Be careful with downloading criminal add-ons into KODI. The problem being that you have no idea what it is stealing from your devices or networks. Criminals are what they are - they don't provide "free" downloads - if it is free, YOU are the product!
Bit of a wide ranging statement branding all developers of Add-ons under the Kodi platform as criminals :thumbdown:
And i was correcting yours.
So we were both wrong.

HarryJ
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby HarryJ » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:03 am

Of course Mark, what was I thinking! Move on now

USINSPAIN
Resident

Postby USINSPAIN » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:22 am

Sorry should have said watching footy on legal Bein sport ( I hope that is legal )
Minefield nowadays

Paulinmalaga
Resident

Postby Paulinmalaga » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:52 am

White Horse wrote:Be careful with downloading criminal add-ons into KODI. The problem being that you have no idea what it is stealing from your devices or networks. Criminals are what they are - they don't provide "free" downloads - if it is free, YOU are the product!
I’d be interested to know the reasoning behind this statement and subsequent warning, is it from a personal experience or simply hearsay?
Having been a Kodi user for many years from the early days of XBMC to where we are today. In fact back in 2006-2009 was part of a local user group in the U.K. We all ran the whole gamut of Add-ons and I still do, in all this time neither I or anyone I know has had the slightest sniff of any Virus-Malware-“Criminal” activity whilst using Kodi. In my opinion you are for more likely to encounter this “Criminal” activity and apps and programmes written by your so called “Criminals” by simply surfing the Internet on a Windows based device.
Curious to know if any members here who use Kodi have encountered any of this “stealing from your devices” that you mention?
As with everything Web based common sense and basic research goes a long way. Kodi have an excellent web site to guide users across every area.
I So Bella tis you

Paulinmalaga
Resident

Postby Paulinmalaga » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:00 am

markwilding wrote: Watching films and EPL is illegal without subscribing.
Suggest you research the topic before making such misleading and misguided statements.
I So Bella tis you

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:08 am

Bein Sports is a great way to watch football but it's not necessary to watch via Kodi. For 9.99 Euros there is loads of football but the downside is no EPL unless you have managed to subscribe to one of the other country versions.

I subscibed for with the Middle East one for a couple of years,which had everything but the quality slowly deteriorated over time and the payment process involves giving them a telephone number so I don't bother now.

I also subscibed to one in New Zealand which was great for the Premier League.This year I''m just using Sky and Bein for the European stuff.
Having someone with Sky back in the UK and If they let you use Sky go is a great way of getting the service. I have installed the app on my son's old PS3 and I get really good results

knowal
Resident

Postby knowal » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:43 am

@PaulinMalaga
Not a problem. I've given a warning, based on the fact that people who write code which is stealing copyrighted material are very expert in what they do. They also have a bit of a fault in their moral compass, and as such would not think twice about including in the bundle software which could be remotely controlled from their servers. This could view anything on your network, especially if you use file sharing on your machines.
It's not a conspiracy theory, as posted by Mark, Kodi warn against it, too.
However, if you are happy, carry on. That's my last word on the subject. I've given the warning. Ignore it if you wish.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:53 am

Paulinmalaga wrote:
I’d be interested to know the reasoning behind this statement and subsequent warning, is it from a personal experience or simply hearsay?
Having been a Kodi user for many years from the early days of XBMC to where we are today. In fact back in 2006-2009 was part of a local user group in the U.K. We all ran the whole gamut of Add-ons and I still do, in all this time neither I or anyone I know has had the slightest sniff of any Virus-Malware-“Criminal” activity whilst using Kodi. In my opinion you are for more likely to encounter this “Criminal” activity and apps and programmes written by your so called “Criminals” by simply surfing the Internet on a Windows based device.
Curious to know if any members here who use Kodi have encountered any of this “stealing from your devices” that you mention?
As with everything Web based common sense and basic research goes a long way. Kodi have an excellent web site to guide users across every area.
I too have used Kodi amongst others from the early days and I remember it original objective was to be able to use a computer to watch and listen to computer media files on the big screen TV as well as a having an interface to watch record and playback from a TV card on a computer, basically set up a TIVO system on a computer without having to squint to navigate using windows XP
More recently people use it as a steaming service
I have never been a fan because it never works properly,its poor quality streams and the constant buffering.The most recent films are recorded using a cam recorder in a cinema and often have Korean subtitles plastered all over the bottom of the screen. Playback is often juddery as well.
I know some people love it and don't mind all these problems but not me. I have a good TV and want to watch in the best possible quality and if that means paying for content, so be it.
You might be right regarding there being no evidence of foul play to individulas, although it is still illegal to stream copyrighted material even if there is a grey area regarding viewing in your own home. However, that doesn't mean that there aren't security issues.

Paulinmalaga
Resident

Postby Paulinmalaga » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:57 am

White Horse wrote:@PaulinMalaga
Not a problem. I've given a warning, based on the fact that people who write code which is stealing copyrighted material are very expert in what they do. They also have a bit of a fault in their moral compass, and as such would not think twice about including in the bundle software which could be remotely controlled from their servers. This could view anything on your network, especially if you use file sharing on your machines.
It's not a conspiracy theory, as posted by Mark, Kodi warn against it, too.
However, if you are happy, carry on. That's my last word on the subject. I've given the warning. Ignore it if you wish.
So just based on hearsay and common knowledge of what could potentially happen on any device or platform and NOT a specific personal experience then. A warning that in itself could be levelled at virtually every operating system and piece of software that's connected to the WWW.
"Accessing the Internet is potentially dangerous" errr YES I think most people are aware of this!
I So Bella tis you

Paulinmalaga
Resident

Postby Paulinmalaga » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:09 am

markwilding wrote:
You might be right regarding there being no evidence of foul play to individulas, although it is still illegal to stream copyrighted material even if there is a grey area regarding viewing in your own home. However, that doesn't mean that there aren't security issues.
There is NO Grey area whatsoever It is perfectly LEGAL at present to view copyrighted Streams attached is the CJEU Judgement categorically stating this.
Mark just man up and accept the fact that your statement was FALSE and uninformed, stop trying to wiggle out of it by bringing security issues into it....we are all aware that anything web based has potential security issues

http://curia.europa.eu/juris/document/d ... cid=399092
I So Bella tis you

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:31 am

I think I have said it in various posts that I was wrong about that. A have also said many times that I don't like Kodi for many reasons apart from that.I actually thought we had put that arguement to bed last night

But You are also wrong about the security flaws being hearsay.

http://androidpcreview.com/bad-addons-c ... isks/4698/
Kodi also have blacklisted certain add-ons and Repositories because they break their rules

The basic rule of thumb for what is not allowed, is that if the Add-on is offering something for free that you would normally expect to pay for by any other means, then it'll most likely be using pirate feeds

http://kodi.wiki/view/Official:Forum_ru ... ed_add-ons

Paulinmalaga
Resident

Postby Paulinmalaga » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:38 am

Mark as you very well know you have taken that totally out of context, we are all aware of the security issues not only on Kodi but across the web....so just stop wriggling and move on......yes you said you were wrong but then follow up by saying its a grey area.....You were wrong...just let it go ...yes we can all use google and post endless links .....it really doesn't impress anyone.
I So Bella tis you

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:45 am

Paulinmalaga wrote:
You should read more, Exodus used for dds attacks.
https://torrentfreak.com/popular-kodi-a ... et-170203/

BTW. Kodi wasn't written for computers originally. The XB in it's original name is for X-box
Regards

Bob

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:15 pm

That is true. I remember it being set up as a posible alternative to Windows Media Centre . Thanks for reminding me of that. I used it as well as other simiilar programs to view stuff on my main TV from the computer.

Paul, I haven't taken anything out of context because although you and others have cherry picked something I wrote and I admitted I was wrong which you won't leave alone. dxf explained it very well without all this fuss way back.

My main point is still based on White's original post regarding security. I believe pointing out the problem is a legitimit one even if you don't.

Maybe more constructively, but maybe you could tell us how to avoid problems on a Firestick if we have Kodi installed on it. Apart from not downloading unsupported add-ons of course.

Paulinmalaga
Resident

Postby Paulinmalaga » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:48 pm

markwilding wrote:
Paul, I haven't taken anything out of context because although you and others have cherry picked something I wrote and I admitted I was wrong which you won't leave alone. dxf explained it very well without all this fuss way back.

Maybe more constructively, but maybe you could tell us how to avoid problems on a Firestick if we have Kodi installed on it. Apart from not downloading unsupported add-ons of course.
Nobody Cherry picked anything, you made a totally false statement which when you were pulled up on it just wouldn't let it lie by following up with a statement that it's a grey area etc.
With regard to being constructive on how to avoid problems, perhaps if read my previous post back in the thread and absorbed what was written " As with everything Web based common sense and basic research goes a long way. Kodi have an excellent web site to guide users across every area", rather than wriggling and trying to muddy the waters in a feeble attempt to gloss over your very misinformed statement you'd see that I addressed that issue.
I So Bella tis you