Dentists

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
katy
Andalucia Guru

Dentists

Postby katy » Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:51 pm

Anyone have any bad/good experiences of dentists here?

safeashouses
Resident

Postby safeashouses » Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:28 pm

I have copied this posting from another site.
Posted 5 Feb 2005.

If anyone is prepared to travel to Manilva for a dentist:-

I thought it would be worth a mention to anyone who is a bit nervous about visiting the dentist.
I had the unfortunate experience of starting with tooth ache last weekend and suffered the pain till i could make an appointment on Monday.
I found a dentist in manilva (by recommendation) and made my appointment. What an absolute treasure this guy was, an absolute giant of a man but so gentle and caring. He puts you at ease and comforts you all the way through the treatment and i almost enjoyed the whole experience , and only 28€ for the extraction (back mowler).
The name of this gentle giant is,
Dr Victor Hugo Peyregne Macaya.
C/MAR No 18, PLAZA DE MANILVA.
Tel 952891838 Mail [email protected]
open Mon Wed Fri 9/2 4/8
Hooray for Victor

jules 2
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jules 2 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:58 pm

Victor Hugo!...........authour of Les Miserables!!!! :lol:
jules 2

jules 2
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jules 2 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:01 pm

Whoops! Didn't do spell check. Don't suppose I'd make a successful career as an author then :oops:
jules 2

safeashouses
Resident

Postby safeashouses » Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:40 pm

Don't forget you can edit your posts now since the facility was added recently and you can even cancel them if you are the last to post. :wink:

I've seen Les Miserables not sure whether I liked it or not I imagine the book must be heavy reading. :lol:

pigs-might-fly
Andalucia Guru

Postby pigs-might-fly » Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:22 pm

One piece of advice I will give is to avoid "English Dentists" like the plague. They are absolutely no better than the Spanish and commonly charge U.K. prices for the privilege of saying "It won't hurt" in English rather than Spanish.
Spanish dentistry charges will please all who are used to U.K. prices and in fact I know several people who wait until they come over on holiday to have non-emergency work done.
:D

meseta
Andalucia.com Amigo

just the opposite

Postby meseta » Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:36 am

Well pigs-might-fly, my experience of trying two Spanish dentists is that I would never go near one of them again, insensitive, close to Vlad the impaler !
The couple of dentists I have been happy with, on Brit and one Iranian, however, have been great, especially for a dental coward like me !

Like lots of other areas, I don't think it's a question of nationality but rather of of professionalism and sensitivity to individuals' needs.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:02 am

The reason I asked is dentists on the coast seem to only be interested in aesthetics. After spending nearly 4000 euros, 2 weeks in constant pain, no sleep and losing a stone in weight, I yesterday gained 9 stitches in my gum after the dentist telling me that there was nothing wrong with 2 wisdom teeth as he had "Treat" them, was persuaded to take them out, there was a massive infection behind them.

He even suggested that the pain and swelling in my jaw could be due to heart problems. He is Danish by the way.

keddyboy
Resident

Postby keddyboy » Fri Feb 24, 2006 5:50 pm

I have said this before but will repeat, BEWARE!!! The Costas especially Costa del Sol are full of so called dentists but are infact dentists that have been struck off in other countries. I am speaking from personal experience in the Alhaurin el Grande area. After hearing a rumour about the dentist I emailed the British Dental Council who informed me back that he was struck off, what the offences were and the fines imposed. So BEWARE before you flash your pearlies!!!!!
Keddyboy
Never do today what you can leave until tomorrow.

askrigg
Tourist

Postby askrigg » Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:33 am

Safe as houses recommended a dentist in Manilva. We have friends who have used him and say he is excellent and reasonably priced.
There is also one on the paseo in Sabinillas which is also very good. They are called Futurdent. They also have a branch in Estepona. I have used this one myself as have other friends and we all had good experiences and reasonable prices. An English dentist nearby charges almost twice the price for a similar service!

No complaints from me!
:D :D :D

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:50 pm

Further to my dental treatment I have now visited another dentist who informed me that my original one had been struck off in Denmark and is probably the worst dentist in Fuengirola :evil:

I was impressed by the articles he had written in one of the local english rags. from a still in pain Katy, hopefully on the up.

safeashouses
Resident

Postby safeashouses » Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:48 pm

katy wrote:The reason I asked is dentists on the coast seem to only be interested in aesthetics. After spending nearly 4000 euros, 2 weeks in constant pain, no sleep and losing a stone in weight, I yesterday gained 9 stitches in my gum after the dentist telling me that there was nothing wrong with 2 wisdom teeth as he had "Treat" them, was persuaded to take them out, there was a massive infection behind them.

He even suggested that the pain and swelling in my jaw could be due to heart problems. He is Danish by the way.
That experience would give me nightmares. I had a bad experience when I was 9 the dentist was eventually struck off but not until many years later. I now dread needing any dental treatment.

Having to pay all that money too for such bad treatment adds insult to injury. Glad you are getting over it I think you have been very brave.

Could anything be done to save anyone else going through anything similar and to stop him making money from people's dental problems.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:45 pm

I had an appointment booked with him tomorrow so I am just going to go along (with my husband) and sign the hoja (complaints book). The new dentist has advised me that he is a very nasty crazy man and cannot understand why the authorities haven't done something.

The strange thing was on my second visit a patient was complaining that the 6000euro price had risen to 10000 and she wouldn't have had it done if she had known. Am I stupid or what :)

safeashouses
Resident

Postby safeashouses » Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:51 pm

It sounds to me like the man is performing daylight robbery. Perhaps the police might be able to do something about him. :?: