Streaming TV programes on an android box

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
rt21
Andalucia.com Amigo

Streaming TV programes on an android box

Postby rt21 » Wed May 03, 2017 2:06 pm

Hi

I will shortly be arranging for an internet provider to supply internet services to my house in the campo in Almeria. Other houses nearby have this service.

One of the things that I was toying with was buying an android box in the Uk for the television in our house in Spain so that my wife could watch Netflix (we have a Netflix account in the UK) and British television programmes.

Am I right in thinking that an android box can access Netflix and British television programmes in Spain? And assuming that the download speed is 5mbps or over is the quality of the streaming acceptable?

I have no knowledge of android boxes as we have a smart tv in the UK which provides high quality streaming.

Any information would be much appreciated

Many thanks

Richard

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Re: Streaming TV programes on an android box

Postby markwilding » Wed May 03, 2017 2:37 pm

First, Netflix will work fine but will go to the Spanish version, which shouldn't be to much of a problem because most programming can be seen in English.
Personally, I'm not a fan of Android boxes for various reasons. For sure whichever type of streaming box you chose, you will also need to set up a DNS server.
A better altenative might be a Now Tv box, much cheaper than an Android one and easier to set up, especially as you say you are in the UK so it can be done before you come. This will not gove you Netflix though but you will have access to Sky

The other alternative is Amazon, giving you access to Netflix and The TV player. Again it would be much easier to set up before you come. Both these alternatives are much cheaper and more stable than Android boxes and offer the typical catch up services available back in the UK

rt21
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby rt21 » Wed May 03, 2017 7:21 pm

Many thanks Mark for all that information.

I will probably go for the Amazon firestick as I have just read on the Nowtv web site that their equipment will not operate in other countries. Although I assume that others get round this by having a vpn.

The internet providers in the area provide wireless internet services via their transmitters. I don't suppose you happen to know how the service is installed in the home do you. My wife doesn't like unsightly wiring across rooms.

Many thanks once again

Richard

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Wed May 03, 2017 7:31 pm

If its not via a traditional phone line it could be via a small microwave dish on the outside of your property. A cable then into property to a router. The rest is wireless.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Wed May 03, 2017 7:32 pm

If you go the amazon route buy the amazon tv box not the firestick. Much better.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed May 03, 2017 7:34 pm

rt21 wrote:Many thanks Mark for all that information.

I will probably go for the Amazon firestick as I have just read on the Nowtv web site that their equipment will not operate in other countries. Although I assume that others get round this by having a vpn.

The internet providers in the area provide wireless internet services via their transmitters. I don't suppose you happen to know how the service is installed in the home do you. My wife doesn't like unsightly wiring across rooms.

Many thanks once again

Richard
Fire stick won't work without a DNS or VPN. It falls over when it tries (like anything else)to access UK sites like BBC iPlayer. NOWTV with a SmartDNS is a better option.

Sid

Unicorn
Resident

Postby Unicorn » Wed May 03, 2017 9:56 pm

I dug up an old android box I had bought and forgotten about. I hitched it up and get Netflix fine.

pilgrim2
Resident

Postby pilgrim2 » Thu May 04, 2017 10:57 am

We subscribe to Netflix Es. and access it on our (now ancient) Smart tv . No need for a box.

Unicorn
Resident

Postby Unicorn » Thu May 04, 2017 1:07 pm

Yup, but the tv I attached it to was not smart.

rt21
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby rt21 » Thu May 04, 2017 2:25 pm

Thank you all so much for your helpful comments.

I had forgotten just how good this forum is for giving useful information to the likes of me who only spend a couple of months a year in Spain

Many thanks once again

Richard

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sat May 06, 2017 1:48 pm

pilgrim2 wrote:We subscribe to Netflix Es. and access it on our (now ancient) Smart tv . No need for a box.
Do you get programmes in English, or the ability to change the language into English?

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sat May 06, 2017 4:50 pm

In Netflix settings, you set up English as your preferred Language. Netflix is very clever knowing where you are and even if you are using the UK apps, the Spanish version will appear.

The Amazon app works that way on a TV as well. If you already have the Spanish Amazon Premium, you can also watch the content free on the Spanish version of the App.‎